Brentwood HC

BT Mafia

let me be the first to congratulate brentwood on the dumbest move in the history moves. also let me congratulate the principal for having the courage to stick to his guns and do the right thing, NOT, you have made a choice that you know to be wrong, but i guess a couple of parents were just too tough for you. brentwood will be fine however due to the freshmen and jv programs that woodward has built, but no matter who brentwood hires, they will not find a better coach or man than the one they just let go.

bush

Wow! You sound very unbiased. Are you his wife? I have no idea what was told to him during the year and I do think 2 years is too quick to pull the trigger. With that said, let's be brutally honest here. The guy was a sub .500 coach in metro and he went 5-15 in 2 years at BW. Everyone can say what they want about the brutal schedule. It was, but throw Blackman and Oakland out and the important stat is that the only Williamson Co team he beat was Summit. If Summit hadn't opened he'd be 0-W Co. in 2 years. His only real claim to fame is winning it with Rector and TC Jennings and lots of guys could have done that. Bottom line, no matter how many seniors they lost before he got there, Crawford and a lot of other coaches around here wouldn't have gone 5-15.

Thoughts on this situation"

1.  Did pemberton leave knowing he had one year left of Ron Crawford's program and talent and he saw would Woodward was walking into?

2.  What happened to the staff that Crawford had put in place?  Did they leave because someone from within wasn't promoted or did he have the same staff?

3.  What is the weightroom program being devalued all about that was mentioned?

4.  What was the talent level like compared to regular Brentwood Teams over the last 10 years?

5.  Did Woodward try to implement a new system due to a change in talent because word was the reason pemberton got the job was because he basically ran the exact same systems as Crawford.?

If you answer these questions then I believe you will find generally why things didnt work out?

Who is next for Brentwood?

Wow! You sound very unbiased. Are you his wife? I have no idea what was told to him during the year and I do think 2 years is too quick to pull the trigger. With that said, let's be brutally honest here. The guy was a sub .500 coach in metro and he went 5-15 in 2 years at BW. Everyone can say what they want about the brutal schedule. It was, but throw Blackman and Oakland out and the important stat is that the only Williamson Co team he beat was Summit. If Summit hadn't opened he'd be 0-W Co. in 2 years. His only real claim to fame is winning it with Rector and TC Jennings and lots of guys could have done that. Bottom line, no matter how many seniors they lost before he got there, Crawford and a lot of other coaches around here wouldn't have gone 5-15.

i am very biased. i coached with him for years and known him for a bunch more. the job he did at antioch was outstanding 38-39 record, playoffs 5 times,the number of players that were able to go to college, pretty dang good. have your opinion, i good with that, but i got mine too.

bush

As for Crawford and a lot of other coaches around here not going 5-15,we will never know, will we.  

i am very biased. i coached with him for years and known him for a bunch more. the job he did at antioch was outstanding 38-39 record, playoffs 5 times,the number of players that were able to go to college, pretty dang good. have your opinion, i good with that, but i got mine too.

bush

My only point was that I keep seeing "great coach" thrown around in this thread and 43-54 doesn't scream great coach. Again, not saying I agree with giving him the ax after 2 years. Not saying the administration isn't at fault. After all, they hired him 2 years ago. I just can't figure out why they hired a sub .500 coach in the first place. There had to be better options for a team that had made the playoffs for 15 years or so in a row.

As for Crawford and a lot of other coaches around here not going 5-15,we will never know, will we.  

We have a pretty good idea though don't we. Crawford would have done what your name says and played tough, physical defense. No Crawford coach team (minus 36 seniors or not) would ever have been gashed the way Woodward's defense has been gashed the last 2 years.

My only point was that I keep seeing "great coach" thrown around in this thread and 43-54 doesn't scream great coach. Again, not saying I agree with giving him the ax after 2 years. Not saying the administration isn't at fault. After all, they hired him 2 years ago. I just can't figure out why they hired a sub .500 coach in the first place. There had to be better options for a team that had made the playoffs for 15 years or so in a row.

We have a pretty good idea though don't we. Crawford would have done what your name says and played tough, physical defense. No Crawford coach team (minus 36 seniors or not) would ever have been gashed the way Woodward's defense has been gashed the last 2 years.

I don't. Great coach in metro he was. You can't base good or great coach on just wins. Several things determine a job well done. So every coach this year that does not win enough games is a bad coach? And if you think the coach alone is the reason for a team's success , then we have nothing more to talk about. 

I don't. Great coach in metro he was. You can't base good or great coach on just wins. Several things determine a job well done. So every coach this year that does not win enough games is a bad coach? And if you think the coach alone is the reason for a team's success , then we have nothing more to talk about. 

Very valid statements. They don't counter anything I said, but they are valid nonetheless. I don't recall saying that if a coach has a bad record for one year he is a bad coach. I don't recall saying that Woodward was a bad coach (even though he has a bad record over an almost 10 year period). I don't recall saying that the coach alone is responsible for a team's success. I don't recall saying that Woodward alone was responsible for Brentwood being really bad the last two years. I said I can't believe there weren't better options. This is a program that hasn't been bad or even average much in the last 20 years. This has been one of the better programs in the state. Suddenly, they are a 5-15 team. It's not all on him, but he WAS the HC. It just seems like everyone is trying to make excuses for him and explain away the fact that they were really bad on his watch. What, exactly, is it about him that makes you call him a great coach?

Very valid statements. They don't counter anything I said, but they are valid nonetheless. I don't recall saying that if a coach has a bad record for one year he is a bad coach. I don't recall saying that Woodward was a bad coach (even though he has a bad record over an almost 10 year period). I don't recall saying that the coach alone is responsible for a team's success. I don't recall saying that Woodward alone was responsible for Brentwood being really bad the last two years. I said I can't believe there weren't better options. This is a program that hasn't been bad or even average much in the last 20 years. This has been one of the better programs in the state. Suddenly, they are a 5-15 team. It's not all on him, but he WAS the HC. It just seems like everyone is trying to make excuses for him and explain away the fact that they were really bad on his watch. What, exactly, is it about him that makes you call him a great coach?

Poor record in some eyes,very good results in metro. No ,you never said he was bad. Great coach to me could include good guy to kids,well organized practices, sound in fundamentals and scheme, maximized the talent of players versus competition,did the team show improvement as the year went by, and I could name some more. When I look at their schedule and results I see how easy it was to be 2-8.

Poor record in some eyes,very good results in metro. No ,you never said he was bad. Great coach to me could include good guy to kids,well organized practices, sound in fundamentals and scheme, maximized the talent of players versus competition,did the team show improvement as the year went by, and I could name some more. When I look at their schedule and results I see how easy it was to be 2-8.

I agree with your assessment of a great coach. Obviously, neither of us knows weather the a few were true because we weren't at practice everyday. Not sure they got any better over the two years.  It sort of does metro an injustice to say that nearly .500 is a very good result, but that's a different argument. So if I'm understanding your arguments, no one could have done any better than 5-15 over the last 2 years?