Let's talk about CPA

LCFootballFanatic

We know the rule, we just don't believe CPA follows those rules. CPA just needs to put their big boy pants on and move up to the private school division.

Exactly my point... You don't "believe" they follow the rules, but you don't really know.  Also, there is no such thing as a private school division- there is financial aid and non-financial aid schools.  Since they do not give financial aid, then they are in the correct division.  It makes me laugh to think that just because someone is successful they must be doing something wrong.  

Until CPA plays the big boys in town (Ensworth, MBA, BGA, BA, etc) nobody will have respect for a program that is a private school that recruits players and brags about their dominance in a public school district.

For the record, I'm a private school parent so don't claim this is public/private bias.

I would love to know who at CPA is bragging, can you provide some facts?  As for CPA playing the big boys, we play Ensworth, BGA and BA in Football Scrimmages, every year - scrimmages aren't scored so no way to tell who wins but usually good games.  As for all other sports at CPA, we beat them all pretty much in every sport.   So what is your point?

Don't be naïve. Of course CPA (The church) pays tuition for some students. I worked with a mom of two CPA students. The kids and the mother worked several weekends and weekday evenings to work the money off.......this is not allowed per TSSAA guidelines.

Real simple Ron - prove it.  This is absurd.....

I would love to know who at CPA is bragging, can you provide some facts?  As for CPA playing the big boys, we play Ensworth, BGA and BA in Football Scrimmages, every year - scrimmages aren't scored so no way to tell who wins but usually good games.  As for all other sports at CPA, we beat them all pretty much in every sport.   So what is your point?

No score...lol

If you have reliable sources and know the facts, then simply turn them in to the TSSAA and let them do their job.  If not, then your really have nothing to post here... I don't however believe CPA cheats, or unfairly recruites outside of what TSSAA allows.  If they do, I am sure one day they will get caught.  Otherwise, I think this post by CPA Chaingang lays it out perfectly.  See below...

Besides your past 'nastiness' that you have displayed, which does not do you or CPA any favors, but simply adds to why there is a CPA testimony issue, other problems I have with your approach and ideas:

1.  I explained what it takes, and those of you who simplify this complex problem with "report it to the TSSAA" don't understand or use it as an cop-out or whatever.  Depending on the authority of a broke system is idealistic and has no basis in reality. 

2.  You get to post what you believe and what you don't believe, others get to do the same whether you agree with them or not.  What you don't seem to get is that you base your beliefs on what you know, observe, experience, etc.  I base my beliefs on what I know, observed and experienced, etc.  Neither one of us know all and as I responded to chaingang, no one should make the mistake of having limited truth and making it into the whole truth.  

I get why you believe what you believe, but don't think your knowledge, observations, experience, etc. is anymore valid than mine.  In fact, as a former coach I just might have access to different sources and different types of information that what you have access to, the possibility does exist.  It is narrow minded and arrogant to think that what you believe is more credible and mine is based on nothing more than rumor and hearsay since I am nothing more than a "hater" because I did not get my contract renewed.  That is always one of the most ridiculous accusations about me I get to consistently read and those who know me know I do not operate in that manner.  

In reality, I have done nothing different than you, I have merely developed different conclusions due to different information.  And if you are going to get involved in the debate, then be open to hearing different information.  If you can't handle it, don't get involved or at least where it turns into name calling and personal attack.  Maturity would also dictate I can listen to the other side without judging the motives.   

If you have reliable sources and know the facts, then simply turn them in to the TSSAA and let them do their job.  If not, then your really have nothing to post here.  I do believe CPA's basketball players come in MS, although there are 4-5 that have been there since Kindergarten.  I also believe CPA has an advantage with the fact basketball AAU is such a high exposure sport and all players, coaches, etc know Drew and it gives CPA an opportunity for exposure.  I don't however believe CPA cheats, or unfairly recruites outside of what TSSAA allows.  If they do, I am sure one day they will get caught.  Otherwise, I think this post by CPA Chaingang lays it out perfectly.  See below.

Basketball is a bit of a different animal but OK, here is how you do it…. Hire a head coach that was a standout SEC guard, who lives and breathes basketball and the development of boys into great players and even more importantly, great young men. Hire a coach that has such a charisma that he is often hired to do college basketball play-by-play on TV and college basketball talk shows. Hire a coach that demands hard work from his team and is willing to travel with them to play preseason tournaments against some of the nation’s finest competition. Hire a coach that is so committed to his family that he is willing to stay a high school coach so he can watch his five children, two of which are adopted grow up. Watch as your coach’s reputation spreads throughout the country regarding his coaching talent and character and then sit back and watch as parents are so attracted to him that they choose to uproot house and home so their son who loves the game of basketball can play for a man like Coach Maddox. It is pretty much that simple. CPA has achieved the same thing for football in Ingle Martin. You can choose to hate CPA or learn from them. Make great hires of great men.

Edited by CPAchaingang, A day ago.

Section 17 of TSSAA bylaws state that no recruiting for Atheletics purposes is allowed. So any recruiting as you state would not be legal. Read this section of the bylaws and let be know how the basketball program has attracted the kind of transfer talent they have over the last few years without breaking the bylaws! You mention your coaches involvement with AAU, in that case any player involved in AAU transferring to your school would be in suspect of violating the recruiting rule. It also states that a coach can not be in contact with potential players after 7th grade. In the end you may be barely staying legal, but at the very least you are not honoring the sprint and intent of the rule. I personally believe the basketball program is going way beyond that. I understand what your selling, but I'm not buying!!!

Section 17. Athletic recruiting is prohibited. Athletic recruiting is the use of influence on a student or the parents or guardians of a student, by any person(s) directly or indirectly associated with the school, to secure or retain a student for athletic purposes. In the event that there is a violation of this rule, there shall be a penalty against the school, and the student(s) who was the subject of the violation shall be ineligible for a minimum of one year.

The penalty and any additional period of ineligibility beyond the one-year minimum will be determined by the Executive Director based on a consideration of the number of violations involved, the number of student-athletes involved, the nature of the violation(s), the individual(s) responsible for the violation(s), and the extent to which the violation may have been knowing, deliberate, or in reckless disregard of the provisions of this rule and the commentary that accompanies this rule.

Guidelines for Understanding the Recruiting Rule

1. Athletes or prospective athletes should be treated no differently than students who are not athletes. Students should be seen as students and not singled out based on their potential athletic ability.

2. To avoid the appearance of impropriety, a coach who is contacted by any student or family or individual about attending a school where he or she is the coach should inform that person that he or she needs to contact the administrative official or officials of the school who normally deal with the admission process.

3. To avoid the appearance of impropriety, any meeting with coaches regarding athletes or prospective athletes should be a part of the admissions process at the school and should take place at the school.

Q. How is influence for athletic purposes interpreted in the recruiting rule?

A. Examples of influence for athletic purposes may include, but are not limited to:

Offers of or acceptance of any special privileges not afforded to other students, whether athletes or not.

Offers of financial aid based on need to any prospective student-athlete by any member of the coaching staff. All financial aid questions should be referred to the principal or person in charge of financial aid.

Inducing or attempting to induce or encourage any prospective student-athlete to attend any member school for the purpose of participating in athletics even when the special remuneration or inducement is not given.

Any initial contact or prearranged contact by a member of a coaching staff or representative of the school and a prospective student-athlete in the seventh grade and above.

Offering or acceptance of any item with school advertisement (shirt, caps, jackets, etc.) to a prospective student; provided that this example does not apply to items of only nominal value (pencils, etc.) that a school gives to all families that participate in the school’s admission process.

Admitting students to athletic contests free of charge based on their participation in athletics with non- school teams.

Recognizing students at athletic contests based on their participation in athletics with non-school teams.

Coaches or their representatives calling, sending questionnaires, cards or letters, or visiting prospective student-athletes and/or their families at their homes. For purposes of the example, the terms “coach†assumes that the individual initiating the contact is acting in his or her capacity as a coach. If that person serves another role at the school and is not acting in his or her capacity as coach, then there may be no violation, unless the contact is really a method for what is in face the use of influence for athletic purposes.

Coaches or their representatives providing refreshments, gifts, and/or asking prospective student-athletes or family members for contact information

Not the basketball board but this thing morphed into a monster just like always. Apache brought this info to everyone and I would say two things.

1. The initial contact rule says that the "initial" meeting with perspective parents should take place at the school with the admissions office. CPA has created a loophole by allowing the basketball coach to work in admissions. So you mean to tell me a family from Iowa just happens to come to Nashville and go straight CPA to enroll their son? I'm sure the corn fields were whispering CPA.... There is no way that initial contact rule was not violated! Anybody that says it wasn't is a liar! Basketball coach in admissions = fox in the hen house

2. You can't fault the football team or any other program at that school for the practices of the boys basketball team. The breakdown of the football was interesting. When your church is used to circumvent the financial aid rule, you really need to take a look in the mirror and ask yourselves is this how you go about glorifying God?

All of you that defend your school and attack those that speak out and against them ought to just encourage your school to change leagues if you want the rest of the state perceive you as anything other than cheaters. Good luck tonight in the playoffs!

I would hope you could defend your school without making up facts - it certainly doesn't help your credibility when you do so.

Fact check (based on data from CoachT):

Ensworth has played a total of three games in team sports against CPA so far this school year; Ensworth has won all three.

BA has played a total of one game in team sports against CPA so far this school year; BA won.

Ensworth played a total of five games in team sports against CPA last school year; Ensworth won three of the five.

BA played a total of four games in team sports against CPA last school year; BA won two of them.

Edited by RedRobin1