New 5A Regions....4 Regions East ?

Woodythewino

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

The area in and around Knoxville has a bunch of 5A teams, 12 I think. Upper ET has enough 5As for its own region. So does Chattanooga when combined with the plateau area. How you gonna deal with 12 5As in and around Knoxville without two regions there? You can't. Ergo, four regions in the East.

Edited by TomJoad

If there is 4 in the East there will be 16 teams that will make the playoffs from the East which leaves 16 for Middle and West Tennessee. Doesn't seem equal across the board if Middle gets only 12 teams to make the playoffs.

Does this make sense to everyone ?

Good Lord! How does equality factor into this? So we should equalize how many teams from each grand division get into the playoffs?? LMAO! Lay off the wine, Woody. Lulz!

32 Teams get into playoffs on the new format correct ?  4 from each region automatically qualify for the playoffs correct ?  Not throwing equality out just wondering what the reasoning for 4 regions in the East.  Didn't mean to make it complicated or inebriated ! :)

I think it had a lot to do with mileage. Made a lot more sense to split the 12 Knox teams into 2 regions, rather than put some in a single Knox region, while shipping the others to the upper east TN region or the Chattanooga region.

32 Teams get into playoffs on the new format correct ? 4 from each region automatically qualify for the playoffs correct ? Not throwing equality out just wondering what the reasoning for 4 regions in the East. Didn't mean to make it complicated or inebriated ! :)

Lololol! I just said that cause of your nom de plume, which I like! You are correct about qualifying but it's not an "us against them." Just have to take the total number of teams combined with geography and let those chips fall.

I don't think it really matters which one of the grand divisions gets the most teams in the playoffs, especially when you look at the total number of teams.  However, when you look at the ratios for each division it looks like this:

West:    4/8 make playoffs = 50%

Middle: 12/24 make playoffs = 50% 

East:     16/26 make playoffs = 61.5%

Like I said earlier, I don't think it really matters which division gets the most playoff bids except for regional pride being the only reason.  Everyone wants to see their area do well, but it's difficult to please every single school in the state.  I think if you ask enough people around, many people are very happy about the new system, and many people hate it.  It's all about perspective.

I think it had a lot to do with mileage. Made a lot more sense to split the 12 Knox teams into 2 regions, rather than put some in a single Knox region, while shipping the others to the upper east TN region or the Chattanooga region.

I have not done the mileage but sending 2 teams from Williamson Co to play at Henry Co is just as far. There are larger cities in middle to negotiate around than east Tenn. One side or the other would have to deal with large regions the other small ones. It could have gone either way. It comes down to who had more pull on the board of control.

I have not done the mileage but sending 2 teams from Williamson Co to play at Henry Co is just as far. There are larger cities in middle to negotiate around than east Tenn. One side or the other would have to deal with large regions the other small ones. It could have gone either way. It comes down to who had more pull on the board of control.

+1