3a region 4 2015

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I use to argue with you all the time about Jennings running ability . You use to would swear he wasn't a legit running threat lol.

He's not a threat outside this slow highland rim district. But with legs as long as he has, he can out run most of our district's lilly white 5'9 kids lol. Edited by UpperCumberlandMan

then I might go 6-1 rather than 7-0 this week. We need to start a weekly predictor and see who has the best record come years end. 70 games, best record wins.

Sounds  good  to  me.

He's not a threat outside this slow highland rim district. But with legs as long as he has, he can out run most of our district's lilly white 5'9 kids lol.

He runs  a legit  4.7, so that's not slow for a qb in any  region .

Sounds good to me.

He runs a legit 4.7, so that's not slow for a qb in any region .

if he played in the boro, he would never leave the pocket and rely on his arm uless flushed. Wouldn't be any designed runs much at all. Not only is he not really fast like what I call a dual threat....he is a big target and that helps him in the pocket, but puts a big target on his back in the open field. He is the best kid in the district, and dual threat in this district....but will have to win with his arm 85% of the time come playoffs verse speed. Edited by UpperCumberlandMan

Upperman Bees

Region 4-3A

Head Coach: Ben Herron

Last Year: 7-5 (2-4), Second Round

After the loss of 20 seniors off a 13-1 state semifinal team in 2013, it would have only been natural to expect a step back from the Upperman Bees in 2014. While the 2014 Bees certainly didn’t have as much success as that historic 2013 team, Coach Ben Herron’s squad still managed to make the second round of the 3A state playoffs in a natural rebuilding year.

“Last season was a solid bounce back year after losing 20 seniors in 2013,†said Herron. “We had a lot of youth on the field that showed up in some of our games, but overall I was very proud of this group for getting to the playoffs and winning a playoff game.â€

After fighting through the pains of youth and inexperience last year, the Bees return a veteran group that now has both the experience and the talent to make a deep run in the playoffs. If the Bees are going to reach their potential, however, Coach Herron knows they must take better care of the football.

“Our biggest negative would be the amount of turnovers we had last year,†said Herron. “That has to be improved.â€

If the Bees manage to clean up last year’s sloppy play, they could once again challenge for the Region 4-3A title.

Much like the trend in today’s football landscape, the Bees like to run a spread-no huddle offense that relies on the quarterback’s ability to distribute the football quickly and efficiently to his outside receivers. The Bees certainly have the quarterback to run this offense in Daylen Watts. The 6’1â€, 185-pound senior is a dual threat that runs a 4.65 in the 40-yard dash.  â€œHe throws a great ball, has above average speed, and is very elusive in the open field,†said Herron of his athletic signal caller.

In addition to Watts, the Bees return a 4-year starter in the backfield in senior running back Austin Butler. Butler should provide a good safety valve and change of pace in the Upperman offensive attack. Watts has weapons to distribute the ball to at wide receiver as well in Ben Guffey (50 receptions, 900 yards, 13 TDs) and Cody Leckenby (53 receptions, 600 yards, 7 TDs). Both Guffey and Leckenby will have to match or better these numbers if the Upperman passing attack is to remain potent. On the offensive line, two names to watch are 6’4†250 pound left tackle Derek Windrow and weight room warrior Joseph Oracion at LG. Oracion went over 1100 pounds for his three offseason lifts. All in all, the Upperman offense returns 8 starters from a unit that averaged 26 points per game in 2014, and with the added experience of an additional year in the program, they should improve on that number in 2015.

Defensively, the Bees employ a 4-2-5 multiple set that relies on an extra defensive back in the secondary to counter the ever-increasing spread offense trend. If the Bee defense is to have success, the safeties and linebackers must be able to defend against both the run and the pass. In the secondary, the Bees will rely on Connor Smith. Jacob Smith, and Dustin Dilldine to do exactly that. In the middle at linebacker, Coach Herron will call on returning starters in senior James Gomez and Junior Dylon Cushing. Up front, Junior pass-rusher Braden Reinard looks to build off a solid sophomore campaign, and Tyler Wilkerson is another name to watch on the Bee defensive line. 9 starters return on the Upperman defense, which has a chance to be very good in 2015.

Experience is a luxury on special teams, and it’s a luxury the Bees are fortunate to have, as they return both kicker Allen Fields and Dilldine, who also handles the punting duties. Both Fields and Dilldine could provide the field position or kicking game difference Upperman needs to pull out competitive Region 4-3A contests.

Upperman will be tested right out of the gate, as they host 6A Cumberland Plateau rival Cookeville in Week 0. The Bees should be fired up to prove they can play with the big boys against a local foe. After the opening test against Cookeville, the Bees play 3 more out of conference games against teams who made the 2014 playoffs in Moneterey (A), Trousdale County (2A), and Stone Memorial (5A) before diving into the Region 4-3A slate. These tough non-region games should provide Upperman the experience it needs to be successful once region play starts in week 4. Within the region, two games to watch are the week 6 trip to York Institute and the week 9 home date against DeKalb County. Coach Herron’s squad played York twice last season, falling in the regular season before defeating the Dragons in round 1 of the 3A playoffs. Although a repeat of the 2013 undefeated regular season would be difficult to duplicate, the Bees should build on last season’s playoff experience to make an even deeper run in 2015.

Upperman Bees

Region 4-3A

Head Coach: Ben Herron

Last Year: 7-5 (2-4), Second Round

After the loss of 20 seniors off a 13-1 state semifinal team in 2013, it would have only been natural to expect a step back from the Upperman Bees in 2014. While the 2014 Bees certainly didn’t have as much success as that historic 2013 team, Coach Ben Herron’s squad still managed to make the second round of the 3A state playoffs in a natural rebuilding year.

“Last season was a solid bounce back year after losing 20 seniors in 2013,†said Herron. “We had a lot of youth on the field that showed up in some of our games, but overall I was very proud of this group for getting to the playoffs and winning a playoff game.â€

After fighting through the pains of youth and inexperience last year, the Bees return a veteran group that now has both the experience and the talent to make a deep run in the playoffs. If the Bees are going to reach their potential, however, Coach Herron knows they must take better care of the football.

“Our biggest negative would be the amount of turnovers we had last year,†said Herron. “That has to be improved.â€

If the Bees manage to clean up last year’s sloppy play, they could once again challenge for the Region 4-3A title.

Much like the trend in today’s football landscape, the Bees like to run a spread-no huddle offense that relies on the quarterback’s ability to distribute the football quickly and efficiently to his outside receivers. The Bees certainly have the quarterback to run this offense in Daylen Watts. The 6’1â€, 185-pound senior is a dual threat that runs a 4.65 in the 40-yard dash. “He throws a great ball, has above average speed, and is very elusive in the open field,†said Herron of his athletic signal caller.

In addition to Watts, the Bees return a 4-year starter in the backfield in senior running back Austin Butler. Butler should provide a good safety valve and change of pace in the Upperman offensive attack. Watts has weapons to distribute the ball to at wide receiver as well in Ben Guffey (50 receptions, 900 yards, 13 TDs) and Cody Leckenby (53 receptions, 600 yards, 7 TDs). Both Guffey and Leckenby will have to match or better these numbers if the Upperman passing attack is to remain potent. On the offensive line, two names to watch are 6’4†250 pound left tackle Derek Windrow and weight room warrior Joseph Oracion at LG. Oracion went over 1100 pounds for his three offseason lifts. All in all, the Upperman offense returns 8 starters from a unit that averaged 26 points per game in 2014, and with the added experience of an additional year in the program, they should improve on that number in 2015.

Defensively, the Bees employ a 4-2-5 multiple set that relies on an extra defensive back in the secondary to counter the ever-increasing spread offense trend. If the Bee defense is to have success, the safeties and linebackers must be able to defend against both the run and the pass. In the secondary, the Bees will rely on Connor Smith. Jacob Smith, and Dustin Dilldine to do exactly that. In the middle at linebacker, Coach Herron will call on returning starters in senior James Gomez and Junior Dylon Cushing. Up front, Junior pass-rusher Braden Reinard looks to build off a solid sophomore campaign, and Tyler Wilkerson is another name to watch on the Bee defensive line. 9 starters return on the Upperman defense, which has a chance to be very good in 2015.

Experience is a luxury on special teams, and it’s a luxury the Bees are fortunate to have, as they return both kicker Allen Fields and Dilldine, who also handles the punting duties. Both Fields and Dilldine could provide the field position or kicking game difference Upperman needs to pull out competitive Region 4-3A contests.

Upperman will be tested right out of the gate, as they host 6A Cumberland Plateau rival Cookeville in Week 0. The Bees should be fired up to prove they can play with the big boys against a local foe. After the opening test against Cookeville, the Bees play 3 more out of conference games against teams who made the 2014 playoffs in Moneterey (A), Trousdale County (2A), and Stone Memorial (5A) before diving into the Region 4-3A slate. These tough non-region games should provide Upperman the experience it needs to be successful once region play starts in week 4. Within the region, two games to watch are the week 6 trip to York Institute and the week 9 home date against DeKalb County. Coach Herron’s squad played York twice last season, falling in the regular season before defeating the Dragons in round 1 of the 3A playoffs. Although a repeat of the 2013 undefeated regular season would be difficult to duplicate, the Bees should build on last season’s playoff experience to make an even deeper run in 2015.

It's kind of difficult to take anyone seriously that doesn't know Trousdale is 1a...and Stone is 4a. You would think they would do a little research. Gee Edited by Antwan

Smith County

Owls

Hometown: Carthage, TN

Head Coach: Mike Dickerson

Region: 4-3A

Last Years Finish: 3-7

Most fans can accept that their team is rebuilding if they see progress made. After going 9-12 in his first two seasons, coach Mike Dickerson expects this year to be the year that progress is shown. Depth and experience are key for the Owls on both sides of the ball.

Offensively, the Owls can boast both size and experience across the offensive line. Junior Jackson Oldham (6’0, 240) is the most experienced and versatile member of the offensive front. He can be plugged in wherever he’s needed. Senior Jacob Petty (6’1, 300) looks to return to his spot at guard this year. Senior Logan Lackey (6’2, 290) gets the nod at center and will be joined by senior Jacob Craighead (6’1, 310) and junior J. Edward Trainham (5’10, 230) will round out the line. Seniors Lucas Ferrell (6’0, 230) and Austin Johnson (6’2, 290) and sophomore Logan Carlyle (6’1, 250) are other players you can expect to see time on the offensive line. Senior John Michael Donnell (6’2, 170) and junior Tyler Harris (5’11, 185) will also hold some blocking responsibility from the tight end position. 

The depth continues with the skill position players. The Owls have the luxury of having a stable of backs for their run heavy offense. Leading the charge are seniors Bailey Kemp (6’0, 170), Dustin Holder (5’10, 180), Matthew Rutherford (5’10, 190) and Brhett Carpenter (5’10, 170).  Sophomores Bryant Goolsby (5’10, 170) and Wesley Kemp (5’10, 150) will also add to the running attack. When the Owls want to pass, they’ll have plenty of options. Sophomore Shermar King (6’1, 165) returns at receiver after a strong freshman season and looks to improve upon that season. Seniors Cameron Huff (6’0, 160), Joe Neal Vance (6’0. 160), Kyle Beale (5’10, 180) and Keith Morris (6’0, 165) will all add depth and rotate in at receiver. Responsible for getting the ball to those receivers and running the offense is sophomore Carson Hackett (5’10, 150). Hackett played multiple positions last season, including quarterback and he’ll assume full responsibility there this year. 

On the defensive side, you can expect to see a lot of two-way players for the Owls 3-4 defense. Ferrell and Johnson will look to start at the defensive tackle spots and be joined by junior Andy Shoemake (5’10) who will be at nose guard. Holder and Goolsby are the primary tacklers for the Owls defense; expect them to be flying around the field. Beale is another player to look for at linebacker. Hackett will also be field general on defense from his free safety position in the secondary. Bailey Kemp will join Hackett at safety, where he had a strong season a year ago. King, Huff, junior Cole Murray (6’0, 140) and sophomore Will Broyles (5’8, 140) will all see time at the corner position. 

One of the first steps of a successful rebuild is the accumulation of depth. Smith County now has the depth and experience needed; now they will look to see the results. Many people hope this will be a breakout season for the Owls in the new region 4-3A. Coach Mike Dickerson hopes to get his alma mater back to the playoffs.