Help settle an argument!

pdpotts

I am having a heated dispute with a co-worker about a call during one of our regular season games.  We are down 22-28 with less than a minute on the clock.  We have posession.  As the clock is winding down we throw a pass to the end zone.  Our receiver goes up for the ball.  The defender goes up for the ball.  BOTH players come down with the ball.  The ref calls the pass incomplete.  End of game.  We lose.

I say the ref made the right call because neither player had control of the ball so it had to be incomplete.  My co-worker says it was a tie and it should have been called a completed pass for us.

I found a video where this happened in a NFL game and it was ruled as complete for the receiver.  But, we do not play by NFL rules.

Anyone KNOW (not an opinion) if the ref was correct?

Thanks.  If I can prove I am right then I get to crow loud and strong.  If I am wrong then I will have to eat crow.

Edited by pdpotts

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Way i seen it milan had possesion first in the air both had possesion on ground but medina player was out of bounds. Incomplete pass. And there is no where in the rule book that tie goes to the runner in baseball. That is a myth.

Myth in baseball correct. However if both had the ball in football it is a catch for the receiver. Only way it could not have been is if one or the other came down out of bounds.

Way i seen it milan had possesion first in the air both had possesion on ground but medina player was out of bounds. Incomplete pass. And there is no where in the rule book that tie goes to the runner in baseball. That is a myth.

No one said it was a rule,(judgement call by official he make the call)but all of us have heard it used.The same principle in this case(judgement call) tho,Tie goes to the offense. Edited by orngnblk

If both came down and no "bobble" then the possesion is the recievers.

Remember the old saying in baseball tie goes to runner?same apllies here the offensive player retains possesion.

well if same applies to both as you stated above because you said offense retains possession.then you must have believed that tie goes to runner was a rule but you got called out and now you're backing up.lol. admit it dude. You thought it was a rule

well if same applies to both as you stated above because you said offense retains possession.then you must have believed that tie goes to runner was a rule but you got called out and now you're backing up.lol. admit it dude. You thought it was a rule

My friend i have coached Middle school baseball and rec league(where this is usually used)i know its not a "rule" you are telling me you have never heard it used,i am just using as a reference that most "lay" people have heard.Im sorry if it has offended your knowledge of baseball.BUT my answer was correct for the question.Thank you for your undying knowledge of Americas game!If i ever have a baseball question i will send it your way.Thanks again.