• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

From the Commercial Appeal

Last-play touchdown catch gives Arlington win

By:

John Varlas

arlington_sat_01_9599877_ver1.0_640_480.

After dropping a touchdown pass earlier in the fourth quarter, Jackson Boring was in the right spot to make perhaps the biggest play in Arlington football history.

Boring, a senior, caught a 23-yard touchdown pass from Tate Kolwyck with no time on the clock to give the Tigers a heart-stopping

34-32 victory over visiting Houston in the second round of the 6A playoffs Friday.

The Tigers (10-2) advance to the quarterfinals for the first time. They'll travel next week to face Whitehaven, which scored with 15 seconds to go to defeat Clarksville Rossview, 14-7.

"I'm in shock," said Boring. "The ball tipped twice and I just sort of gator-armed it and brought it in. It feels great. I knew I had to do something to make up for that dropped touchdown."

Trailing 32-28, the Tigers got the ball back after stopping Houston on a fourth-and-two on their own 22 with 58 seconds left to go. Kolwyck, a freshman who finished with four touchdown passes, drove the Tigers into striking range.

It looked like Houston had held, but the Mustangs (10-2) were called for pass interference, giving Arlington one more shot with the clock showing all zeros. Kolwyck lofted it up in the end zone and the ball tipped off two players' hands before settling softly in Boring's arms.

"This is just surreal," said Tigers coach Chris Wiley. "We actually practice that (situation) ... but wow."

In addition to his final scoring pass, Kolwyck had touchdown passes of 63 and 14 yards to Bryan Lewis and 32 yards to Tavarious Foster. He also scrambled 47 yards in the first quarter to set up Keelon Webber's nine-yard run that opened the scoring.

"He's grown up so much," said Boring, himself a former quarterback.

"It was a great performance; this game is about him, not me."

In addition to Boring's dropped TD, the Tigers survived a fumble that set up Jared Schmidt's 29-yard pass to Chase Moss-Pioreck that put Houston ahead 32-28 and an interception in the end zone by Kennedy Sanders that could have given them the lead earlier in the fourth on the next possession.

Schmidt also threw a pair of scoring passes to Chanse Pullen. Colby Cartwright had two touchdown runs for the Mustangs, who were the leading offensive team in Shelby County during the regular season.

"They are an unbelievable team," said Wiley. "I think we did get down on ourselves a little bit but we fought through it."

Whitehaven drives 96 yards for game-winning TD

By Pete Wickham

whitehaven02_9600213_ver1.0_640_480.jpg

photos by Nikki Boertman/The Commercial Appeal Whitehaven running back Derwin Martin cuts to slip a tackle attempt by Rossview’s Tristan Luke Friday evening at Whitehaven.

whitehaven01_VERT_CROP_9600227_ver1.0_64

Rossview’s Tequan Evans, who scored the lone touchdown for the Hawks on offense, brings down Whitehaven receiver Braylen Rochell.

After giving Clarksville Rossview short field opportunities throughout the second half, host Whitehaven used one long, no make that very long, drive to escape with a 14-7 second-round victory in the Class 6A playoffs.

After throwing an interception earlier in the quarter, senior Jordan Williams was perfect on four passes for 51 yards of a 96-yard march that he capped with a 1-yard touchdown sneak with 15.3 seconds left in the fourth quarter.

“We knew we had to play smart, play under control and take what their defense gave us,†said Williams, who timed several key passes underneath, and between, Hawk defenders, to finish the night 17 of 26 for 217 yards and a second-quarter TD pass to Kerrick Jones that came after a Hawk fumble.

After gaining just 17 yards in a rough first half for both offenses, Whitehaven’s Derwin Martin finished the night with 103 yards on 11 carries.

But it was the defense, even without star linebacker Joshua McMillon, that saved the day for the Tigers (12-0) and kept them on the road to what they hope is a second gold ball in three years.

“Our defense stepped up huge and filled the gaps when we needed it, and we knew not to let Johnson get a head of steam,†Whitehaven coach Rodney Saulsberry said.

“We tried to shoot ourselves with penalties and turnovers, but our defense kept coming through,†Saulsberry said.

Rossview had driven to the Tiger goal line just before halftime, but star running back Isaiah Johnson was turned back by an avalanche of black shirts that followed him all night and limited him to just 24 net yards, most on one big carry on that drive.

The Hawks (8-4) kept coming, turning a fumbled punt at midfield into a game-tying score on 5-yard run by Tequan Evans midway through the third quarter.

Both sides would miss short field goals, Whitehaven’s Mamadou Agne missing from 37 yards, and Riley Benson getting his 27-yarder blocked by Tiger sophomore Jabril Malone.

Evans picked off a Williams pass for the Hawks midway through the fourth quarter and returned it to the 22. But the Tiger defense, which allowed Rossview just 30 net yards in the fourth quarter, pushed the Hawks backward and forced a punt. It landed on the Whitehaven 4, and things looked headed to overtime — until the Tigers found their way one final time.

“We gave ourselves plenty of chances, but the offense didn’t play very well tonight,†Rossview coach Ron Lambert said.

“Our secondary was playing not to give up the big play. I thought our coverages were a bit loose at the end, but we probably asked our defense to do too much. You can see why they’re the second-ranked team in the state — but it took them 47½ minutes to get by us,†Lambert added.

Whitehaven will be at home Friday for a quarterfinal test against Arlington, which scored on the last play of the game to advance.

Edited by kwc

You know, when I read the account of the Arlington win I got to thinking about it. There is no way that I would have been able to get any sleep Friday night if I was a Houston player/senior. You talk about getting hit in the GUT. First, on what everybody thought was the last play of the game, the refs throw a pass interference flag against Houston. That's a 15 yard penalty, which means, instead of the ball being on the 38 yard line ... it's moved up to the 23 yard line. THEN ... on the last play of the game ... no time on the clock when the ball was snapped, TWO Houston defenders touch the ball and the Arlington player STILL catches the ball for a 23 yard 'WALK OFF' TD.

Just ... ponder that for a moment.

Man! ... I don't know if I could have dealt with that emotionally. I know that I wouldn't have been able to get any sleep that night if I were a Houston player.

MAN ... that just HAD to suck BIG TIME!

Whitehaven drives 96 yards for game-winning TD

By Pete Wickham

whitehaven02_9600213_ver1.0_640_480.jpg

photos by Nikki Boertman/The Commercial Appeal Whitehaven running back Derwin Martin cuts to slip a tackle attempt by Rossview’s Tristan Luke Friday evening at Whitehaven.

whitehaven01_VERT_CROP_9600227_ver1.0_64

Rossview’s Tequan Evans, who scored the lone touchdown for the Hawks on offense, brings down Whitehaven receiver Braylen Rochell.

After giving Clarksville Rossview short field opportunities throughout the second half, host Whitehaven used one long, no make that very long, drive to escape with a 14-7 second-round victory in the Class 6A playoffs.

After throwing an interception earlier in the quarter, senior Jordan Williams was perfect on four passes for 51 yards of a 96-yard march that he capped with a 1-yard touchdown sneak with 15.3 seconds left in the fourth quarter.

“We knew we had to play smart, play under control and take what their defense gave us,†said Williams, who timed several key passes underneath, and between, Hawk defenders, to finish the night 17 of 26 for 217 yards and a second-quarter TD pass to Kerrick Jones that came after a Hawk fumble.

After gaining just 17 yards in a rough first half for both offenses, Whitehaven’s Derwin Martin finished the night with 103 yards on 11 carries.

But it was the defense, even without star linebacker Joshua McMillon, that saved the day for the Tigers (12-0) and kept them on the road to what they hope is a second gold ball in three years.

“Our defense stepped up huge and filled the gaps when we needed it, and we knew not to let Johnson get a head of steam,†Whitehaven coach Rodney Saulsberry said.

“We tried to shoot ourselves with penalties and turnovers, but our defense kept coming through,†Saulsberry said.

Rossview had driven to the Tiger goal line just before halftime, but star running back Isaiah Johnson was turned back by an avalanche of black shirts that followed him all night and limited him to just 24 net yards, most on one big carry on that drive.

The Hawks (8-4) kept coming, turning a fumbled punt at midfield into a game-tying score on 5-yard run by Tequan Evans midway through the third quarter.

Both sides would miss short field goals, Whitehaven’s Mamadou Agne missing from 37 yards, and Riley Benson getting his 27-yarder blocked by Tiger sophomore Jabril Malone.

Evans picked off a Williams pass for the Hawks midway through the fourth quarter and returned it to the 22. But the Tiger defense, which allowed Rossview just 30 net yards in the fourth quarter, pushed the Hawks backward and forced a punt. It landed on the Whitehaven 4, and things looked headed to overtime — until the Tigers found their way one final time.

“We gave ourselves plenty of chances, but the offense didn’t play very well tonight,†Rossview coach Ron Lambert said.

“Our secondary was playing not to give up the big play. I thought our coverages were a bit loose at the end, but we probably asked our defense to do too much. You can see why they’re the second-ranked team in the state — but it took them 47½ minutes to get by us,†Lambert added.

Whitehaven will be at home Friday for a quarterfinal test against Arlington, which scored on the last play of the game to advance.

I heard we had 3 Fumbles Friday.. Well if it was any of the guys wearing SLEEVES (as seen in the above pics) let me give those that can tell the boys what I told Mark Jr his Soph year... You HAVE TO Have the SLEEVES PULLED UP ON YOUR ELBOWS. If not when you try to secure the ball in traffic that junt will squirt out SMDH. BALL SECURITY, please!

Jordan Williams may be the BEST QB to come out of Whitehaven since Jason Harris btw

I heard we had 3 Fumbles Friday.. Well if it was any of the guys wearing SLEEVES (as seen in the above pics) let me give those that can tell the boys what I told Mark Jr his Soph year... You HAVE TO Have the SLEEVES PULLED UP ON YOUR ELBOWS. If not when you try to secure the ball in traffic that junt will squirt out SMDH. BALL SECURITY, please!

Jordan Williams may be the BEST QB to come out of Whitehaven since Jason Harris btw

I got to the game with 8 Minutes left in the 4th Quarter. I stood on the top row of the home field's Baseball bleachers and watched Kerrick just DROP the football on a QB/WR bucksweep exchange.

Bloop! ... he just DROPED it. No contact whatsoever.

It was one of those types of nights.

Err'body had on sleeves.

I got to the game with 8 Minutes left in the 4th Quarter. I stood on the top row of the home field's Baseball bleachers and watched Kerrick just DROP the football on a QB/WR bucksweep exchange.

Bloop! ... he just DROPED it. No contact whatsoever.

It was one of those types of nights.

Err'body had on sleeves.

3 fumbles, 2 intercepted. .. we can't have another nite like that. Our D played lites out. One breakdown lead to the score. We had 2 takeaways one in for the TD... sloppy sloppy!! It won't be as cold Friday nite, but could rain...derwin had over 100 yds on 11 carries we got to let him go. We to close to have breakdowns but hopefully we get those corrected.

3 fumbles, 2 intercepted. .. we can't have another nite like that. Our D played lites out. One breakdown lead to the score. We had 2 takeaways one in for the TD... sloppy sloppy!! It won't be as cold Friday nite, but could rain...derwin had over 100 yds on 11 carries we got to let him go. We to close to have breakdowns but hopefully we get those corrected.

+1000