Can Slowpitch Compete?

ERA

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am a former slow pitch player. I played slow pitch up until my freshmen year when I tried out for the high school team. I started at short stop my freshmen, sophomore, and junior, and possibly my senior year. I even got alot of playing time as a starting catcher. While it might be hard for others, to some it comes naturally.

Fielding is usually not the problem. Changing hitting mechanics from slow to fast-pitch will not happen over-night. It takes a lot of repetitive practice to break the "hitch" habit. The level you play at could also hinder your change. Let's face it. If your schedule has Ezell, Beech, Hendersonville, Goodpasture, Coffee County, Dickson etc. you will have to perform at a much higher level than you would against lesser teams. I always tried to play the highest quality teams I could outside my district since it was so weak. The more advanced players get better playing those teams and your younger ones get some time against some of the easier district teams. Scheduling can play a big part in developing younger players in a sport that doesn't have much J.V. to speak of.

• 2 weeks later...

I think for most girls who started in slowpitch it is a conflict within themselves. They were probably really good in the slowpitch league and are afraid of not being that good anymore. I played slowpitch up until my 8th grade year. I started taking fastpitch pitching lessons and was on the varsity team my 8th grade year, pitching in some games. Although I'm not throwing 56-57 mph, I do have the fundamentals down and I believe that is all anyone needs. It may take a while to get them, but don't be afraid of trying. ;)