CLASS A STATE CHAMPIONSHIP: UNION CITY VS. COALFIELD

JDOGG80

I will tell you this in the first half you guys had me a little worried. Your line was in our backfield far more than any other team this season. You asked for honesty so I'm gonna give it. To me it seemed like Coalfield was more motivated and they were very well prepared. UC seemed flat. I don't understand that because it was the state championship game and no one should be flat for that game. I have watched these boys play all season and I know flat when I see it. What happened was the Jackets stood up and smacked em in the mouth. That long run straight up the middle had em scratching their heads as to how that happened. Once they realized that the title was at stake and CF wasn't gonna roll over and play dead. .........well we all saw what happened in the third quarter. To answer your question in a more direct approach, Coalfield played us closer and harder than anyone else this season in the first half. Those boys made us do something we haven't done very much. They made us punt. Once the turnovers started, well we know what happened. You can't win a title when things like that happen. For UC those things happened in the first quarter not the third for most of the season. You guys are tough. Good luck.

Being a UC fan I'm very proud of what our team has accomplished, but this post is about Coalfield. I live in a small community near UC and understand how much pride smaller communities can have. My hats off to Coalfield. They were told all week that they didn't belong here. They didn't believe it. They played hard from the opening kick and when they got behind I never saw anyone give up nor did I see any of their fans leave early. I also have to say something about Stewart and Bible. Stewart played hard every minute he was on the field. Will enjoy watching him at Tennessee. we've been a good tackling team all year but today Bible pulled loose from some good hits and it took a 2nd or 3rd tackler to bring him down. Both players lived up to the hype about them.

Over the last few years we have played some very spirited games with SP and WC. Because of the interaction with those schools and their fans and the respect I have gained for them, I now follow them every week. Tonight I added Coalfield to that list.

Awesome post. I enjoyed reading this and that is what it's all about. Most have learned that I'm a neutral fan but I'll definitely keep up with union city in the future. All of us old fellers done a little jawwing earlier in the week but we cleaned it up and I think all of us have gained a new respect for each others teams and also each other. Again, congrats to union city and Coalfield on seasons that millions of kids nationwide dream about. Edited by RudyWasOffsides

The game of football is basically controlled by turnovers....99% of the time the team that wins with the number of total turnovers ( number of fumbles by your team or anyone team) is the looser at the end of the game.  No harm done but if you played us 10 times, you would loose, 10 times.   Great game plan, your Q B is going to be a good one.  #55 is really good but only had 4 tackles which I was surprised.  Union City had way to much speed for the outside.  We could have passed but only a couple of time not wanting to run the score up.  Go read my post of what I took from the game as I was able to make the trip, I praised your team well.   Still in Cookeville to see all games.  Your team has a bright future.  It was Union City's year, It was Union City's day.  No one could slow us down but your team did for 2 quarters, most in the season.  We had 12 Mercy rules this year, your team adding to that.  Your team actually gave more of a fight than the Private school NCS.  Don't hang your head.  Let us enjoy the GOLD.  These years only come around very seldom. 

very good summary of the game, i agree, we keyed on the middle running game, and actually had a good game plan, we had way to many freshman to compete today, our db's and end are

weak as heck, we imploded in the 3rd, we are a better team than that but not good enough to beat you guys, congats, seroiusly, #55 my cousin is the real deal potential wise, i hope he red shirts and has a year in the weight program, also we have a young man at UT now Benson Napier, you probably dont realize how small coalield is, you would be amazed that we were evev there.

very good summary of the game, i agree, we keyed on the middle running game, and actually had a good game plan, we had way to many freshman to compete today, our db's and end are

weak as heck, we imploded in the 3rd, we are a better team than that but not good enough to beat you guys, congats, seroiusly, #55 my cousin is the real deal potential wise, i hope he red shirts and has a year in the weight program, also we have a young man at UT now Benson Napier, you probably dont realize how small coalield is, you would be amazed that we were evev there.

People really don't understand How small coalfield is. You can go through coalfield and never realize you were there. To be playing for a state title when you are the 5th smallest football school in the state is remarkable. Turnovers are what really let this one get out of hand but UC played a part in forcing them. The better team won today but still proud of Coalfield.

People really don't understand How small coalfield is. You can go through coalfield and never realize you were there. To be playing for a state title when you are the 5th smallest football school in the state is remarkable. Turnovers are what really let this one get out of hand but UC played a part in forcing them. The better team won today but still proud of Coalfield.

Wish some of our local single a teams in our district (lake county, etc) had your mentality. It doesn't matter how small your numbers are, you just play ball. No excuses, just hard work and the will to win.

Wish some of our local single a teams in our district (lake county, etc) had your mentality. It doesn't matter how small your numbers are, you just play ball. No excuses, just hard work and the will to win.

Atlas, I am going to let your cheap shot slide this time. Congrats to UC. Hopefully, Peabody can win 2A tomorrow. District 14-A is a very tough district that all members should be proud of. Possibly 2 state champions and a quarter finalist all from the same district. That's a great accomplishment for our district. Again, congrats to UC on winning the state title.

Looking forward to playing u all too next year Ladykee, one of my favorite rivalries. I've got a ton of respect for u guys. As do we at GB for you guys! Here's to the off season. Our boys moved on to the round ball! Love small school sports. They just move on to the next sport that is waiting for them.

life is not fair so someone has to be the smallest. Just makes getting there even sweeter. You'll never hear too many excuses from coalfield people. Edited by TheMan0405

Looking forward to playing u all too next year Ladykee, one of my favorite rivalries. I've got a ton of respect for u guys. As do we at GB for you guys! Here's to the off season. Our boys moved on to the round ball! Love small school sports. They just move on to the next sport that is waiting for them.

Same way here. McKinney will go from starting at QB Friday to PG on Tuesday.

life is not fair so someone has to be the smallest. Just makes getting there even sweeter. You'll never hear too many excuses from coalfield people.

Again, love your mentality. Coalfield played hard and had good game plan. Don't need excuses when you played like your team played. Congratulations on coalfield's season and the beginning of both of our off seasons.