Region 1

humorwrestling

• 3 weeks later...

Cant believe this is the home stretch of the last year having a kid in the sport, to try to coach, watch wrestle, and grow up match by match.  I have watched the boys develop internal strength and self reliance no other sport can muster or foster in the same manner that will help equip the young men for life.  Never wanted to imagine this time, ten years gone and they are nearly grown.  Many of you know through experience how much I am going to miss this, from the early trips to Chatt with two little boys, to Nashville, Virginia, and tourneys all over the southeast, never minded the road trips win or lose we shared good time.  I remember the excitement and nerves of the annual AAU state appearances and now the last six years of two brothers in High school, with the elation and despair a moment on the mat can bring...   Austin and Hunter have exceeded and continue to in so many ways, I am a proud dad  I have good clean kids that the sport has helped to shape! I am also proud of all the kids we were connected to through this sport and process who have grown and achieved so much, from the early learning and flailing days and building of personal competitive rivalries to the kids hanging out together with mutual respect and smiles after the match.  God I am going to miss this..!  Never been easy but always been memorable and worth every up and down moment!  I have enjoyed the parents and coaches I have met and share time with over the years locally, at tourneys, and at state from all corners of the state, and always smile when I think of how your kids have grown to become decent respectful young men as they moved on from school to real life.   Thank you to the coaches and parents  who cared about my boys and treated them like family along the way. 

Not the end but drawing near, finish strong kids, mine and yours! 

Marshall Bagley

• 2 weeks later...

Will any of the Region 1 teams be able to crack the top 5 at the individual state tournament this year or in the near future?

not that I see, unfortunately, individuals will break through and should be a good year for some state placers and two to three individuals that could win it all with a decent draw.  However when your best teams and big schools cant attract solid top of the line big guys or forfeit multiple weight classes in general it says a lot about the draw and interest locally.  I don't understand it, Its a sport where big manly guys should want to come out and contest and be challenged... and wrestling balance and toughness leads to superior big men in football...   But look at any local paper in NE Tennessee and you see what is king - Girls and boys basketball - in that order...  (tells you volumes)  My two cents...

Completely disagree. Science Hill has a team full of Hungry sophomores and some good kids coming up. Look out for us the next two years. We plan to be a top 5 team and we put in the work to do so.

Science Hill got the win over #7 ranked TN High tonight with a score of 43-24. No doubt in my mind us two will battle it out again for the Region Championship on Friday and we will have our kids ready for another tough match because I know TN will be coming back with a vengeance.

I'm with KingGreene on this one!  Our East Tennessee teams may not be quite to the level of top 5 on the dual level yet, but we are producing individual wrestlers that can and will compete at the state level.  

Don't be surprised to see either Science Hill or Tennessee High finishing Top 5 at the State Tournament on a regular basis over the next few years.  These kids are learning that iron sharpens iron and they don't mind to put in the effort and seek out the competition it takes to make them better.  I believe this year will be the highest medal count for Region 1 in a long time and don't be surprised to see one or both of these Region 1 teams put several wrestlers on the podium.  

yep I misread I was clearly talking dual state for some reason (cause I was day dreaming about tonights dual match) and I gave an opinion about filling out from top to bottom. 

Completely agree with both of you, maybe even not out of the question to approach top five in (Individual) state with the kids who should make it into medals this year, next year looks good to.  Both of your teams do a great job of traveling to become better with your sacrifice sharing your "off time", that is paying off for sure!.  Wish more non wrestling youngsters and parents could have been introduced to the sport tonight, great passion and fans whooping it up, was fun atmosphere. 

Congratulations to Science Hill on the win. I'm looking for the Viking pride wrestling team to be ready to close the gap on the team score. With the mad hatter making some adjustments to the lineup. This team and coaches have done a amazing job with the things they are able to accomplish giving up so many points.

Edited by 1VIKINGNATION

Congratulations to Science Hill on the win. I'm looking for the Viking pride wrestling team to be ready to close the gap on the team score. With the mad hatter making some adjustments to the lineup. This team and coaches have done a amazing job with the things they are able to accomplish giving up so many points.

agree, your coaches have an excellent core of dedicated talented kids that many of us have known and respect, and the coaches have done very well to compete at a high level with the forfeits, great dedication in your program! 

And Congrats Science Hill on the win, took care of business!  Solid effort, bonus points as needed and in even the close wins and losses, the kids stayed strong and competed to support the team goal!