The Demise of Athletics in Cheatham County

GreenHornet

Tharpe and Winkler called it years ago. Look at the state of athletics in Cheatham County at present. Deplorable. All in the name of better test scores, yet not discernible difference had been made. $$$$ were spent on compensation packages for multiple supt's and higher ups, all the while activities being cut for students.

It's a shame. At one time people feared the Cheatham teams in most every sport, especially football. Now, they play more homecomings than Red Boiling Springs.

Travesty.

Tharpe and Winkler called it years ago. Look at the state of athletics in Cheatham County at present. Deplorable. All in the name of better test scores, yet not discernible difference had been made. $$$$ were spent on compensation packages for multiple supt's and higher ups, all the while activities being cut for students. It's a shame. At one time people feared the Cheatham teams in most every sport, especially football. Now, they play more homecomings than Red Boiling Springs.Travesty.

RBS beat Goodpasture last year. They're getting better.

Tharpe and Winkler called it years ago. Look at the state of athletics in Cheatham County at present. Deplorable. All in the name of better test scores, yet not discernible difference had been made. $$$$ were spent on compensation packages for multiple supt's and higher ups, all the while activities being cut for students. It's a shame. At one time people feared the Cheatham teams in most every sport, especially football. Now, they play more homecomings than Red Boiling Springs. Travesty.

Yes, those test scores sure are better and I hear there are tons of Cheatham students headed to Ivy League schools now that Curtis and Webb have had their input. Cheatham basketball is the ONLY program in the county(Boys) that has kept right on trucking and that has a lot to do with maintaining stability by promoting Coach Stuart to the Head Coaching position. I mean everybody knows that stability is terrible for kids right? That must be why they change principals almost every year and have such a large amount of teacher turnover in the county-what a brilliant philosophy that has worked so well and benefitted the children of Cheatham County(thank you Webb, Curtis, Collins, & Proffit)! As I have pointed out before on these boards(until the thread was locked or removed bc Curtis and his cronies scan these boards regularly and are thin skinned) this only happened after another botched hire attempt, so hard to credit Curtis or anyone at the BOE for making a really good decision and promoting Coach Stuart(who has done an outstanding job btw). Maybe the Cheatham Football Program would be where the basketball program is if they had hired the only slam-dunk candidate who had local ties and was very deserving(Coach Jackson). Instead, they have gone 3-17 the last two years on the heels of an undefeated season and state quarterfinal berth and are right back where they started(still no announcement on the new coach at the time of this writing-waiting to see who doesn't get the Creekwood job I guess). Webb and Curtis set the county back a good decade or so as it pertains to athletics and I am sure they are proud of it. THEY WANT THEIR TEAMS TO LOSE SO NOBODY WILL CARE ABOUT SPORTS IN THE COUNTY AND NOBODY WILL CHALLENGE THEIR ALMIGHTY AUTHORITY! I hope for the sake of the kids there that they recover, but the healing won't begin until the cancer(Curtis) is removed. Now go ahead and lock the thread or make it disappear altogether, Coacht. We sure can't have anybody telling the truth or criticizing the guilty around here!

Am I missing something?? When has Cheatham ever been an athletic power?? The Cub basketball team has been on a roll lately but they're not a dynasty. As far as football goes the entire county, with the exception to the 2012Cub team, has been average for years. After looking up records they've had 3-17 type runs before. Not that I'm a Cheatham expert. Just my two cents

Am I missing something?? When has Cheatham ever been an athletic power?? The Cub basketball team has been on a roll lately but they're not a dynasty. As far as football goes the entire county, with the exception to the 2012Cub team, has been average for years. After looking up records they've had 3-17 type runs before. Not that I'm a Cheatham expert. Just my two cents

"Power" was never used in my original comment. However, at one time most teams in the county were respected. Harpeth had a nice run of district championships in football, Cheatham and Sycamore advanced into the playoffs, often upsetting higher seeds, so on an so forth. Now, its not good at all. In the mid 90's Cheatham had beaten Smyrna, Hendersonville, several in the playoffs on a routine basis. Now?

Harpeth advanced to the Quarters, getting bested by Milan, Huntington, GREAT TEAMS!

Sycamore also advanced into the playoffs, won district championships, beat higher seeded teams, but no more. 

Power, no, but respectable. To be watched out for. Now, thanks to the rubes that ran the school system for the last 12 years, the doldrums. And afterthought. The Dregs. 

Yeah I see what you're saying. I watched a few Cheatham and Harpeth games back in the 90's. Against BA and then Pearl Cohn. Cheatham had a few defensive studs back then. Being in the same region with those teams was just plain bad luck. Never really watched sycamore or Harpeth. Just know what I read. So what is the deal with the admin up there? When are they getting a new coach?

• 2 weeks later...

Yes, those test scores sure are better and I hear there are tons of Cheatham students headed to Ivy League schools now that Curtis and Webb have had their input. Cheatham basketball is the ONLY program in the county(Boys) that has kept right on trucking and that has a lot to do with maintaining stability by promoting Coach Stuart to the Head Coaching position. I mean everybody knows that stability is terrible for kids right? That must be why they change principals almost every year and have such a large amount of teacher turnover in the county-what a brilliant philosophy that has worked so well and benefitted the children of Cheatham County(thank you Webb, Curtis, Collins, & Proffit)! As I have pointed out before on these boards(until the thread was locked or removed bc Curtis and his cronies scan these boards regularly and are thin skinned) this only happened after another botched hire attempt, so hard to credit Curtis or anyone at the BOE for making a really good decision and promoting Coach Stuart(who has done an outstanding job btw). Maybe the Cheatham Football Program would be where the basketball program is if they had hired the only slam-dunk candidate who had local ties and was very deserving(Coach Jackson). Instead, they have gone 3-17 the last two years on the heels of an undefeated season and state quarterfinal berth and are right back where they started(still no announcement on the new coach at the time of this writing-waiting to see who doesn't get the Creekwood job I guess). Webb and Curtis set the county back a good decade or so as it pertains to athletics and I am sure they are proud of it. THEY WANT THEIR TEAMS TO LOSE SO NOBODY WILL CARE ABOUT SPORTS IN THE COUNTY AND NOBODY WILL CHALLENGE THEIR ALMIGHTY AUTHORITY! I hope for the sake of the kids there that they recover, but the healing won't begin until the cancer(Curtis) is removed. Now go ahead and lock the thread or make it disappear altogether, Coacht. We sure can't have anybody telling the truth or criticizing the guilty around here!

Cheatham is about to be right back on track with their new hire, that much I can promise you.. Top notch coach and man.. If your boys buy into his program they WILL be very successful no questions about it..