Science hill football 2015

Skicat

Most of you guys will not agree with this, but I believe that lifting for higher reps (10 or more) slowly and under control is way better long term on your joints.    Most HS guys bench press by bouncing the bar off their rib cage, completely ignoring the eccentric (lowering) part of the lift.    Similarly, most HS'ers do squats in a form we used to call "curtsey's" as in how a woman greets royalty.  Sure anybody can squat 400 if you are only going down 8 inches and the guy behind "spotting" you is in essence doing a deadlift to get you back up.      The damage to joints is mostly hidden by youth until you have been out of HS for a few years, and then you have a lifetime of issues.     Wish I could go back to that time knowing what I know now

I see young guys in my gym every day making these same mistakes, but nobody wants to listen to an old codger.    If any of you have sons still playing please advise them to take care of their joints in the weight room.    A big bench is not worth it....

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A lot of truth Blazer, kids get in the gym even with light weights however, if they have been taught bad technique by a trainer or coach, they can be hurt bad now as well as pay for it down the road. I brought my middle son up on the other side of that fence .When I trained him a few years ago it started with pushups and situps.Even when we got into weights he would do 1000 pushups and 700 setups every week on his own extra (12years old ) because it was something he enjoyed .When I seen he had developed ungodly strength for his size and age, I took him to a professional power lifter with several world records. He ask if that's how I had trained him to bench, I said yes and he responded " perfect form ".He showed us the break and press and the rules for aau.A few months later my son broke a world record at the junior Olympic games.I told him a thousand kids could do it if their dads brought them, so be humble. He didn't tell anyone until he was asked by a DB coach three years later.My boy has took it to another level and as a trainer(cscs cerified) masters student, bodybuilding, and just a way of every day life .So if a kid has the proper start and work ethic, I'm ok with the heavy weights.

Yep,working out is for the younger guys.Unless your retired and go to the gym at 5:00 in the morning to talk and check out the women on the treadmills.

Dang! I wouldn't get up at 5:00 in the morning even for that. Can't you find that sort of thing on the internet somewhere?

• 2 weeks later...

No doubt,SH will be a tough game from now on.I've picked the Indians to win this years matchup but only the Red Rebels to finish unbeaten in conference play.I'd love to see both teams go far in the playoffs and make NET proud as my old school has done a few times in recent years.

Everyone in this new region will find that wins will be hard to come by, except Maryville. DB and SH will no longer be able to roll their helmets on the field and win all of their region games. You can bet that Bearden won't be as bad as they were this past year and Hardin Valley is a solid team. Bradley is also a pretty good team and WB is now under a great coach and we have nowhere to go but up. I suspect Jeff Co will be the lame duck but I could be wrong about that. I look forward to lots of competitive games with good atmospheres in the new region.