Do you feel it is right?

TNBBallFan15

I am several years away from this issue, but I think the answer depends on each father/daughter combination.  Here are the factors I plan on weighing.

#1-You are  parent first.  If you think that being your daughters coach is going to put a strain on your relationship that will hurt it forever, then you don't need to coach her.  If she blows a lay up that would have won you a game, will you be able to get into the car after the game and cry with her like a parent should?  Or will you be upset that the player next to you choked?

#2-How will the people around the program react?  If you are going to coach her, how will you respond to people that say she plays only because she is the coach's kid?  You have to be fair to her.  Don't be too hard because she's your daughter.  Don't be too easy because she's your daughter.

#3-Do you have good assistants?  You will need someone to be honest with you when you are in your blind spots.  The assistants need to be able to give you an honest assessment of your daughter.

#4-What does she want?  If she is scared of playing for you, figure out why.

Overall, I am very excited about potentially coaching my daughter.  I think the big key for us is drawing good boundaries about where the coach/player relationship starts and the father/daughter ends.

Good Luck.

I've seen this play out for 40 years and cannot recall one example of a Coach regretting it.

Plenty of examples out there right now to check out.

Shulman (boys coach) at McCallie/ son

MTSU football (son is QB)

Closer to home and on the girls side:

New Coach at E. Hamilton will be coaching his daughter or already is?

Bradley Central's coach had his daughter a few years ago.

Hamilton Heights coach is mother to her daughter on the team and another daughter coming next year supposedly from E Ham.

I would encourage you to contact these and do some research.

Good luck to you and your daughter.

I have coached my daughter(s) for many years in AAU and middle school ball.  My oldest daughter will be coming to play for me next season at the high school level.  It is challenging at times but extremely rewarding.  The best advice I can give you is this.  You must have thick skin and be prepared to hear all kinds of stuff.  Always make decisions based on what is best for the team.  Hopefully your child will be good enough to leave no doubt of why she plays, but even then some people will still have their opinion.  One thing, I know for sure...When your child plays for you, you won't ever be able to question how she is being used...LOL

I have coached my daughter(s) for many years in AAU and middle school ball. My oldest daughter will be coming to play for me next season at the high school level. It is challenging at times but extremely rewarding. The best advice I can give you is this. You must have thick skin and be prepared to hear all kinds of stuff. Always make decisions based on what is best for the team. Hopefully your child will be good enough to leave no doubt of why she plays, but even then some people will still have their opinion. One thing, I know for sure...When your child plays for you, you won't ever be able to question how she is being used...LOL

Terrible idea, they NEVER get treated the same as the other players. The car ride home after a loss is even worse. So no, IMO it's a bad idea.

I coached both of my kids, son and daughter. Coaching stops at the gym. At home, in the car and everywhere else you are DAD, period. If you take their mistakes home you and especially them will hate it. Be Dad and only Dad after the game is over

Well said, but if your a passionate coach it can't be turned off at the gym. You know that. It's a season long process most years. Apparently you must be 1 of few who can do that.