In one word, what makes Maryville so good?

blazer1set

And you're a Mod ?? Unbelievable .

I don't think mod disqualifies someone from having an opinion. I know you think 2 of the teams there can do no wrong (the other two, who cares) but do you think Maryville would have had as many titles if they were facing MBA, Ensworth, BA regularly in finals? The question asked for a quick answer on why they're so good, and to me so good for them is being the favorite to win the state every year. If they were playing more of the other top teams-the way the smaller schools have to do-they likely still would have won big and represented the east but not won most years.

Edited by Indian

I don't think mod disqualifies someone from having an opinion. I know you think 2 of the teams there can do no wrong (the other two, who cares) but do you think Maryville would have had as many titles if they were facing MBA, Ensworth, BA regularly in finals?

You're comparing apples to oranges. Those last 3 schools you mention offer financial aid (and most likely recruit players, given that BA got busted for that years ago), seeing that they are in D-II.

Oh, by the way, Maryville beat Brentwood Academy TWICE to win state titles in 1976 and 1978.

Apples and oranges yes, but the largest class or two is a lot less competitive than what it would have been without the partial split. Compare it to Alcoa, how many would they have won in a row now without any private schools knocking them off every now and then?

I think we all know that answer, LOL. Lack of discipline cost us the 2001 state title (lost to Goodpasture in semis). Obviously, we don't have that problem anymore. But here's the thing: Alcoa is 21-7 all-time against private schools in the playoffs, pretty dang good. We beat BA ourselves in 1989.

I don't think mod disqualifies someone from having an opinion. I know you think 2 of the teams there can do no wrong (the other two, who cares) but do you think Maryville would have had as many titles if they were facing MBA, Ensworth, BA regularly in finals? The question asked for a quick answer on why they're so good, and to me so good for them is being the favorite to win the state every year. If they were playing more of the other top teams-the way the smaller schools have to do-they likely still would have won big and represented the east but not won most years.

Ewe meen like this paist yeer....???..... :popcorneater:

http://www.unapproved website.com/high-schools/maryville-rebels-(maryville,tn)/football/home.htm