District 12A Tournament Picks

coachcarterfan

What are the thoughts on the tournament? This has to be the weakest 12A has been in forever. Before Loretto joined, you could always count on Summertown, Collinwood, Wayne County, and Perry County to have some of the best teams around, with some Miss Basketball candidates. Not any more. Perry County has only lost one game, but nothing like the teams they had when Edney and Weatherly played. The entire Region has dropped off. Oh well. I will go with the first round only for now.

Summertown vs Collinwood

Summertown has won twice by double figures. Neither team shoots well from outside. I cant' figure out why teams keep throwing it up 3pt. land when they shoot so bad from that area. Even the post for Collinwood chunks up threes. Collinwood has the better inside game, but does not use it enough. Both teams have a lot of young players. To me, this one could go either way, but I give this one to Summertown since they have won both by double digits.

Wayne County vs Frank Hughes

If Frank Hughes has any hope of ever getting back to the Region, this has to be their best chance and only because Wayne County has fallen way down in talent. The two teams split in the season. Frank Hughes won by 5 when they had Davis, but lost by 10 when she was hurt and she is out now with a leg injury. Wayne County has not played well in a while. The key for Wayne County is Ray. If she can score 20 plus, Wayne County wins. Churchwell is the key for Frank Hughes in stopping her. Frank Hughes must pressure full court and run off a rebound. Wayne County must handle the press,  put Ray and Mathis inside some, slow it down,  and play zone making Frank Hughes shoot from outside. Wayne County let them out hustle them last time. Tough to pick. Tradition makes me want to go with Wayne County, but their lack of hustle and effort this year says they are headed for an exit for the first time in who knows when. I say Frank Hughes by 3.

If Collinwood and Wayne County both lose, does anyone know when the last time that neither of them made it to the region tournament? I would have to say it has been a long time, maybe never. If anyone knows, please post. Would be interesting to know.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Collinwood over Summertown 6 points

Wayne County over Frank Hughes 5 points

Perry county over Collinwood 10 points Loretto over Waynesboro 8 points

Upset pick of this tournament Loretto over Perry County

Two close games against each other 6 points and 3 points in OT. I think

Loretto will win this one by 5. It will be a defensive battle.

Collinwood over Summertown 6 points

Wayne County over Frank Hughes 5 points

Perry county over Collinwood 10 points Loretto over Waynesboro 8 points

Upset pick of this tournament Loretto over Perry County

Two close games against each other 6 points and 3 points in OT. I think

Loretto will win this one by 5. It will be a defensive battle.

Loretto was up the entire game at home, was up six with 46 seconds left. Linden girls are very talented and i hope they can do something special this year.

Vandychris, I like your picks except I don't see PC beating Summertown by 18.  In a way, I kinda hope 33bigorange is correct on the Loretta upset of PC.  I think the 12A 4th seed has a good chance of winning the first game against the 11A 1st seed.  If that happens PC would play them in the Regional semis assuming we beat the 11A 3rd seed at home.  That would give us the better chance of getting to Regional Finals.  Sometimes a loss is not a bad thing when you factor in tournament brackets.

The Richland/Collinwood girls game score has not been posted.  Anyone know what the score was?

Vandychris, I like your picks except I don't see PC beating Summertown by 18. In a way, I kinda hope 33bigorange is correct on the Loretta upset of PC. I think the 12A 4th seed has a good chance of winning the first game against the 11A 1st seed. If that happens PC would play them in the Regional semis assuming we beat the 11A 3rd seed at home. That would give us the better chance of getting to Regional Finals. Sometimes a loss is not a bad thing when you factor in tournament brackets.

The Richland/Collinwood girls game score has not been posted. Anyone know what the score was?

Collinwood by 12 I think.

Linden's girls beat Summertown at home 39-23 (Summertown scored 5 points in the second half) and at Summertown 34-16 (Summertown did not score in the first or third quarters). Also Linden's girls beat Collinwood at home 62-48 and 57-42 down in Collinwood. Linden's girls also beat Loretto at home 39-33 and at Loretto 41-38 (Loretto was up the entire game and was up 36-30 with :44 seconds left in the game). Have these girls not gotten yalls attention yet? They beat a really good Parsons team last week on the road 48-47 and they were down 47-40 with 2:00 left in the game. Parsons lost 55-54 to the Number 1 girls team (Middleton (26-0)) and only got beat by 10 down at Middleton. The main thing about Loretto and Linden is that Loretto has a major height advantage. 

Edited by PCsupporter4life