Did the TSSAA do the right thing in disqualify Riverdale and Smyrna from

lawnman

the fault is absolutely without a doubt on the shoulders of the TSSAA for placing $$$ above the spirit and so called integrity of the game

everyone does not deserve a brownie or a trophy...but hey lets have half of the state play in the postseason so we can charge ridiculous fees to see blowouts in the 1st 2 rounds...then again in the 1st round of regions

and after that...even if you lose...you can still continue to play...because losing is ok in this world...it can make you a champion in the state of TN

a coach has every right to do what he/she thinks will get his team a better opportunity to make a deeper run in the playoffs...that includes losing a game intentionally to avoid a bad matchup in an elimination game

if you want to avoid such nonsense in the future...play a real tournament where the loser goes home instead of trying to take advantage of the communities financially

I would disagree about who is responsible. In my opinion, the coaches, ADs, and administrators at these two schools are responsible for what happened in this game.

I would agree that not everyone deserves a brownie.

You can be a three game tournament loser in our state and still win a gold ball, so it can potentially get you a championship in TN.

Lastly, while I see the argument for a one loss and done format, the format in our state does allow for two very good teams from the same district (maybe even the two best in the state) to still be able to play each other in a state tournament championship game. There is some merit to that philosophy, also.

Edited by bballfanforever

If my daughter, now in college (UT) and only playing intramural co-ed basketball, was told to throw a game in the HS play-offs, I hope I know what her response would be!  Not "No" but "heck no!".  I only got on coachT to follow this up because my wife forwarded this story from an Oregon website!  It is embarrassing for TN girls' basketball, and TN sports in general.  

I totally understand the strategy, but you're going to have to beat the best team at some point to win state.  Why not do it early?  I'm not a TSSAA fan either.  Last year, TSSAA placed the no. 1 and no. 2 boys' soccer teams against each other in the round of 8?  

Do you fire the basketball coaches?  I say not.  I assume they are teachers too….hopefully statistics and not ethics!  Limit their practices for next year…not sure who enforces that, and keep them off the bench up to 6 games.  It's shameful that this issue is on an Oregon website.

Tarp  

You must be knew to Eliz basketball Coach Dugger lost on purpose at freedom hall to stay out of S Hill backet when he had the Normans playing for him they were booing that game I believe that was one of the reasons they let him go and before you get upset I'm from there and went to school there

TSSAA was correct in what they did. The coaches basically told his kids you are a bunch of losers you can't beat Blackman so let's lose this game so that we can get a couple more in before we have to play Blackman and then lose, you bunch of losers. The kids went along with it. They were taught well.

Good I guess he learned his lesson.

I'm sorry to disagree, but the fault is not with the teams. It is the governing body which has set up a tournament where there is every motivation to lose. Too many teams advance. This is far from the first time that teams have contended to lose a 3-4 matchup. Send 4 home, and give 1 a bye. Everyone has a reason to win.

Dollars to donuts 90% of the coaches would agree.

Life gives you opportunities to make decisions. YOU make your own decisions. YOU determine if you are going to face obstacles with integrity or avoid it and blame others. The first step in gaining integrity is to take responsibility for YOUR decisions.

In this case, the coaches are in a position of leadership/teaching which carries a heavy burden at times. What they taught these students is to take the low road when faced with a challenge. A terrible lesson!

You may have a good point about the tournament setup. Don't use it as an excuse for poor sportsmanship. It is a separate matter.

Sorry, I will get off my soapbox. No one is perfect but these coaches picked a bad time to "get caught up in the moment" and let poor sportsmanship rule when the door was open to teach facing challenges head on with integrity.

Integrity?

They played the game the way it was set up.

A flawed system made their best option an undesirable one.

It does not get more real world than that.

If we are going to get along in the adult world, we are going to have to do things that we find distasteful sometimes. That is how life is.

They did not try to injure someone, they did not take PED's,  they did not pay off officials, they did not lie, they did not do any manner of things that I would consider lacking integrity.

They simply played to get to the state tournament, by the rules that exist.

They did what teams do every year. It is a bad system.

Every year, lots of coaches schedule games they are certain to lose. They play bigger schools, in higher classifications. They play powerful teams where they will be hopelessly outmanned. They do this because playing stronger opponents will make them better. They do it because it will give them a better chance to reach the state tournament. Does this lack integrity? They are losing on purpose, in order to reach the state.

I listened to a TSSAA official on 104.5 state that this is something that rarely happens. From his position, if he does not know that it happens every year, he would have to be blind. He had to know that what he was saying was an outright lie. He was defending his employer. Is that integrity?

Integrity?

They played the game the way it was set up.

A flawed system made their best option an undesirable one.

It does not get more real world than that.

If we are going to get along in the adult world, we are going to have to do things that we find distasteful sometimes. That is how life is.

They did not try to injure someone, they did not take PED's,  they did not pay off officials, they did not lie, they did not do any manner of things that I would consider lacking integrity.

They simply played to get to the state tournament, by the rules that exist.

They did what teams do every year. It is a bad system.

Every year, lots of coaches schedule games they are certain to lose. They play bigger schools, in higher classifications. They play powerful teams where they will be hopelessly outmanned. They do this because playing stronger opponents will make them better. They do it because it will give them a better chance to reach the state tournament. Does this lack integrity? They are losing on purpose, in order to reach the state.

I listened to a TSSAA official on 104.5 state that this is something that rarely happens. From his position, if he does not know that it happens every year, he would have to be blind. He had to know that what he was saying was an outright lie. He was defending his employer. Is that integrity?

We will just have to disagree on this one.

I can do things in business, to make more money, that is "legal" but still underhanded.

Of course I can say "that is how you get ahead young lady" to justify my actions.

What have those young ladies been taught on how to get ahead in life? Not the lesson I would want a daughter to learn.

Blame the system but it's your decision that reflects on you.

I keep seeing "it happens every year". I've spoken with several people that have been involved with HS basketball for decads and not a single one could recall something like this happening. Maybe the team did it more discreetly, but this was flat out horrid. I don't like punishing the girls for the coach's horrible decision, but they did comply, that's obvious from the video. Now, they were just doing what the coach said, so I guess I'm on the fence. The coaches should have been suspended for one year, at least. If I was a parent or school administrator, these coaches wouldn't be back next year. TSSAA shouldn't ban them for life, leave that to the school. I don't care how the bracket is set up, you play to win. If you want to be a real champion, then you want to beat the best, anything else is lame and would leave me feeling disappointed. My two cents.

Several have mentioned it was strategy, that's garbage. Strategy is whether to play zone or man, whether to press, who to foul. These coaches demonstrated to their players that unethical behavior is okay. Both are allegedly teachers, right? Both should be fired as teachers and banned from coaching for 5 years minimum.