Did the TSSAA do the right thing in disqualify Riverdale and Smyrna from

lawnman

Sometimes even bad news is good news.  It shows the strength of 7-AAA Rutherford Co teams and the pressure to win.  Winning the district is like winning the State Championship.  Rutherford Co will be strong for years to come.  It will be ok and they will flourish.  Time to heal..

it is not good news about the game

• Upvote 1

I would disagree about who is responsible. In my opinion, the coaches, ADs, and administrators at these two schools are responsible for what happened in this game.

I would agree that not everyone deserves a brownie.

You can be a three game tournament loser in our state and still win a gold ball, so it can potentially get you a championship in TN.

Lastly, while I see the argument for a one loss and done format, the format in our state does allow for two very good teams from the same district (maybe even the two best in the state) to still be able to play each other in a state tournament championship game. There is some merit to that philosophy, also.

Since when is $5.00 a ridiculous fee?

Warriorfan, Riverdale has been on the cutting edge of changing the TSSAA for years. It was their mission! First it was "we cannot beat BA so seperate the private schools" and now it's "we can't beat Blackmon". For a self proclaimed "nationally ranked" program it's odd they'd dodge Blackmon?

Lastly, Riverdales feeder school Christiana couldn't beat MJMS (a less talented group this year per some) this year (2 losses) much to the frustration of a "certain parent" allegedly, in both losses, have verbal altercations with opposing fans. Lol Looks like Riverdale will have to figure out how to play against MJHS in a few years?

After reading all this I will end with two thoughts. First, in my opinion a lot of the posts on here are a reflection of society today. Let's not take responsibility for our own actions let's blame someone or something else. Whether you like the TSSAA playoff system or not is not the issue, it is the lack of integrity displayed by the two teams that is the issue. No one forced these coaches to play to lose they chose to do that and know they have to live with the consequences. Don't blame the system for these coaches bad decisions. The second thing I see is that a lot of people use an issue like this to try and advance their cause. Those that don't like the playoff format now point and say see they format needs to be changed.But I could also counter with a story of a 4 seed boys basketball team a couple years ago that made it all the way to the class A finals and everyone talked about what a great story and run they had. So you can argue both sides. You can agree with me or not that is your choice but I will leave you with this if the coaches involved could watch what was going on and not feel bad about what was happening then their is more wrong than the postseason system.

This has happened before in basketball. Maybe not as bad, but games have been lost to avoid playing a higher seeded team. Should baseball not allow a pitcher to walk a batter on purpose to avoid a real good batter? Infield fly rule was installed to avoid a team from gaining an advantage. In football a player or team punished for knocking down a pass on fourth down and not making the interception. Allowing a team to score to get the ball back because of time on clock. . A wrestler letting a guy escape and get one point and then taking him down for two points and repeating this over and over so the score ends up 16-8.There are ways to use the system to one's advantage in most every sport. This may have been an extreme example, but it happens all the time

Walking a batter and throwing a game seem to be different to me.  Riverdale did not try to double up on points against Smyrna either, as the your example of a wrestler did.

I agree with the TSSAA's decision to suspend the teams and coaches, but I can't help but to point out the hypocrisy that the TSSAA continues to display.  

They said it was a 'mockery' of the game and I agree, but how do the same people who call it a mockery continue to make a mockery out of high school sports by only taking care of the state's football programs?  

Football is evaluated every few years and they re-classify, re-district, etc. but nothing is ever done about the other sports.  If it's fair to re-district football because of the size of schools, then how it is not fair to treat all sports the same?  

Schools competing with other schools with twice the enrollment is unfair whether the sport is football, baseball, basketball, volleyball, etc.  The TSSAA continues to show their favoritism and hypocrisy and shame on them for it.

AMEN.

Riverdale is about to go on a huge run for years including next year with an interim coach. Teams are lucky they aren't in the tourney now as they were poised for a huge run in this years tourney.

No, they weren't poised for a huge run this year... They were losing to Blackman in the Region Semis had they played to win against Smyrna..

Poster above is right, Riverdale was getting ready to get beat and beat bad. This smells of Corys mentor Tom Insell. Tom would pull crap like this and this is/was his mentality when he was here. Lets just say Flight has been grounded at Riverdale and if Riverdale is smart they will get rid of anyone and everything that has Insells smell on it. 

• Upvote 1

Warriorfan you are an embarrassment to your daughter.......and Riverdale. Parents there threatening lawsuits on twitter? For what? Reporting the news? Your kids are guilty as the coaches were. They should be suspended for throwing a game. This is no different than throwing a game for money. A game thrown is tainted and its baffling to me that you continue to take up for this behavior. Shows your character. I would be ashamed.

Here is my opinion.  I will just be honest about what I see.  I have a daughter that plays at elizabethton. She is a starter on the team and has had considerable playing time since her freshman year.  What you guys are missing in this whole forum and especially warrior.  i love my daughter no matter what and the game of basketball is just a moment in her life. I walked off the court with her in eighth grade winning a sectional championship and last year winning a championship and my comment to her both times was do not let this moment define your life.  Enjoy it and build on it to achieve greater things. I see fans ever night at our games that take it to extremes that are to intense. They cannot help it so I ignore.  You can watch me at a game and my expressions never change.  Warrior enjoy those kids for the ladies and woman they are and will become and learn that basketball is just a tool in that process and have fun with it.  The coaches did wrong and so did the young ladies.  About one percent of these girls will play college basketball or less but they can learn to be great adults for all of us to enjoy way after basketball is over.