Mitchell vs Union City

big_mike0307

Doubt they would lose 10/10 games. Lets face it Mitchell caught UC at there worst this week.

Mitchell would beat UC 10/10 times. If it were a 100 game series, UC might be 2/100, this year. I understand a team playing tight at the tournament, but saying you are even close to Mitchell is an insult to what they did to all of us. Take pride in the fact that you guys could possibly beat them 2/100 times. GCA would be 0/100, heck, 0/1000. Mitchell was head and shoulders above EVERYONE. Congrats to Memphis Mitchell on back to back titles.

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mitchell would beat UC 10/10 times. If it were a 100 game series, UC might be 2/100, this year. I understand a team playing tight at the tournament, but saying you are even close to Mitchell is an insult to what they did to all of us. Take pride in the fact that you guys could possibly beat them 2/100 times. GCA would be 0/100, heck, 0/1000. Mitchell was head and shoulders above EVERYONE. Congrats to Memphis Mitchell on back to back titles.

Hey GCA, we were elated to stay within 14 of Mitchell on our home floor!! We even led most of the first half BUT I knew it was coming and it did! Hey, I keep hoping we are going to meet in Football or Basketball but it always seems that one of us loses early. A friend of mine has a son who was a monster OL for you guys. About 6'7" I think he was a Senior.

Hey GCA, we were elated to stay within 14 of Mitchell on our home floor!! We even led most of the first half BUT I knew it was coming and it did! Hey, I keep hoping we are going to meet in Football or Basketball but it always seems that one of us loses early. A friend of mine has a son who was a monster OL for you guys. About 6'7" I think he was a Senior.

Which one? I saw a field of them

He was a good one for us. 6'7 290, he signed a scholarship to Campbell, where our TE signed the year before. Good kid, good family. He should've continued with basketball and we would've been even better....lol

LOL, all of them except 1 will be back in 2015, plus added (not recruited, just kids getting bigger and better) depth. Get ready my friend. Should be a great Fall 2015 for both of us.

OMGosh!!!! Well, we plan on being much faster and stronger this season...Just have to see if the injury bug hits us again...Hopefully not and we'll see you in Rd 3

from the Commercial Appeal

Jeremiah Martin sparks Mitchell to Class A championship

J

ohn Varlas

mitchell2_1426391021600_15030178_ver1.0_

Mitchell's Kylan Phillips, center, and Jeremiah Martin (3) celebrate following their win against Union City in the Tennessee Division I A boys' high school basketball championship Saturday, March 14, 2015, in Murfreesboro, Tenn. Mitchell won 69-39.

mitchell_1426375908272_15026235_ver1.0_6

Union City's Jeremy Bumpus, right, has his shot blocked by Mitchell's Jeremiah Martin (3) in the first half of the Tennessee Division I A boys high school basketball championship game Saturday, March 14, 2015, in Murfreesboro, Tenn.

MURFREESBORO — With an all-tournament team medal around his neck, a Mr. Basketball trophy in his arms and another state championship on his résumé, it was good to be Jeremiah Martin.

Martin scored 19 points Saturday as Mitchell won its second straight Class A state championship, taking control in the second half to defeat Union City 69-39.

The Tigers, who are the first Memphis team to repeat since White Station won back-to-back AAA crowns in 2003-04, finish with a 32-6 record. And their 32nd victory was a sweet bit of vindication, coming against a Union City team that had been ranked No. 1 in the state poll all season, despite the Tigers being the defending champions.

“This year, we did it for ourselves,†said Martin, a Louisiana Tech commitment. “Last year we wanted to do it for the community because we had never won (a title) before, but this year we did it all for ourselves and that feels a little bit better. We didn’t get any credit at all.â€

Added fellow senior Kylan Phillips, “We’ll always be remembered.â€

Mitchell, which was playing in the state tournament for the fourth year in a row after finishing runner-up in Class AA in 2012 and losing in the quarterfinals the following year, hasn’t lost to a Class A team in two years. And most of those have been blowouts, like Saturday.

Even in the state tournament it was all Tigers: Mitchell defeated Columbia Academy 69-40 in Wednesday’s quarterfinals before dismantling Knoxville Grace Christian 72-37 in Friday’s semifinals.

“I think it’s a tremendous testament to the work we’ve put in (and) what we’ve accomplished,†said head coach Faragi Phillips. “I think we’re one of the best teams in Tennessee, regardless of classification.â€

The Tigers used a familiar formula to get the result against Union City, smothering the Golden Tornadoes (33-4) on defense and getting out in transition for easy buckets.

Martin, a 6-3 senior, went 8 of 10 from the field to lead a 53.7 percent shooting effort from the floor.

Union City kept it close in the first half, but a late spurt gave Mitchell a 32-24 lead at the break. A layup by Martin early in the third quarter gave Mitchell a 36-26 lead, and the advantage only grew from there.

The Golden Tornadoes, who shot a respectable 40 percent in the first half, were held to just five buckets in the second half. Mr. Basketball finalist Marcus Deberry and Parker Stewart each had 13 points to lead Union City.

“For other teams, defense is just something they have to do,†said Faragi Phillips. “But we work hard on it. It’s the key to what we do every day, and we have a lot of pride in our defense.â€

Naba Echols added 18 points for the Tigers, shooting 14 of 17 from the line. Lorenzo Hunt capped a strong tournament with 11 points and six rebounds.

The highlight of the day, though, came during the Mr. Basketball announcement. When his name was called, Martin turned to his teammates and raised both arms before being mobbed in a celebration that was much more emotional that what came after the game.

“We’re not just a team, we’re a family,†Martin said. “So when I won, they won. We might have disagreements, but at the end we always come together as a family.â€

Edited by kwc

from the Commercial Appeal

Jeremiah Martin sparks Mitchell to Class A championship

J

ohn Varlas

mitchell2_1426391021600_15030178_ver1.0_

Mitchell's Kylan Phillips, center, and Jeremiah Martin (3) celebrate following their win against Union City in the Tennessee Division I A boys' high school basketball championship Saturday, March 14, 2015, in Murfreesboro, Tenn. Mitchell won 69-39.

mitchell_1426375908272_15026235_ver1.0_6

Union City's Jeremy Bumpus, right, has his shot blocked by Mitchell's Jeremiah Martin (3) in the first half of the Tennessee Division I A boys high school basketball championship game Saturday, March 14, 2015, in Murfreesboro, Tenn.

MURFREESBORO — With an all-tournament team medal around his neck, a Mr. Basketball trophy in his arms and another state championship on his résumé, it was good to be Jeremiah Martin.

Martin scored 19 points Saturday as Mitchell won its second straight Class A state championship, taking control in the second half to defeat Union City 69-39.

The Tigers, who are the first Memphis team to repeat since White Station won back-to-back AAA crowns in 2003-04, finish with a 32-6 record. And their 32nd victory was a sweet bit of vindication, coming against a Union City team that had been ranked No. 1 in the state poll all season, despite the Tigers being the defending champions.

“This year, we did it for ourselves,†said Martin, a Louisiana Tech commitment. “Last year we wanted to do it for the community because we had never won (a title) before, but this year we did it all for ourselves and that feels a little bit better. We didn’t get any credit at all.â€

Added fellow senior Kylan Phillips, “We’ll always be remembered.â€

Mitchell, which was playing in the state tournament for the fourth year in a row after finishing runner-up in Class AA in 2012 and losing in the quarterfinals the following year, hasn’t lost to a Class A team in two years. And most of those have been blowouts, like Saturday.

Even in the state tournament it was all Tigers: Mitchell defeated Columbia Academy 69-40 in Wednesday’s quarterfinals before dismantling Knoxville Grace Christian 72-37 in Friday’s semifinals.

“I think it’s a tremendous testament to the work we’ve put in (and) what we’ve accomplished,†said head coach Faragi Phillips. “I think we’re one of the best teams in Tennessee, regardless of classification.â€

The Tigers used a familiar formula to get the result against Union City, smothering the Golden Tornadoes (33-4) on defense and getting out in transition for easy buckets.

Martin, a 6-3 senior, went 8 of 10 from the field to lead a 53.7 percent shooting effort from the floor.

Union City kept it close in the first half, but a late spurt gave Mitchell a 32-24 lead at the break. A layup by Martin early in the third quarter gave Mitchell a 36-26 lead, and the advantage only grew from there.

The Golden Tornadoes, who shot a respectable 40 percent in the first half, were held to just five buckets in the second half. Mr. Basketball finalist Marcus Deberry and Parker Stewart each had 13 points to lead Union City.

“For other teams, defense is just something they have to do,†said Faragi Phillips. “But we work hard on it. It’s the key to what we do every day, and we have a lot of pride in our defense.â€

Naba Echols added 18 points for the Tigers, shooting 14 of 17 from the line. Lorenzo Hunt capped a strong tournament with 11 points and six rebounds.

The highlight of the day, though, came during the Mr. Basketball announcement. When his name was called, Martin turned to his teammates and raised both arms before being mobbed in a celebration that was much more emotional that what came after the game.

“We’re not just a team, we’re a family,†Martin said. “So when I won, they won. We might have disagreements, but at the end we always come together as a family.â€

Galilee, what did he mean by the above statement, "we didn't get any credit at all"?

Galilee, what did he mean by the above statement, "we didn't get any credit at all"?

Here is a team that is the defending state champs, played one of it not the toughest schedules ln the state in any classification in the state and is still ranked number 2, that is why he stated that. That is why this team could not wait to play UC. We were more afraid of looking past the first 2 teams wanting UC so bad and slipping up. Coach would not allow them to mention UC at all after the brackets were released.

• 6 years later...