Public,private,open zone, this is the real problem

runtheball

I have seen coaches of privates at public middle school games; wanting to talk to players after the game.

And I've seen public school coaches pull middle school athletes (who are not zoned for their school) out of class to "talk" to them about their "academic" future. Or show up at middle school games to "get a feel" for where they might want to play. Edited by QSouth89

You sure made it sound that way, especially when you said that "all recruit." That's not gonna lead anywhere good, coach.

Come on ABB. I've read your posts enough to know that you are a smart guy, and you know what he was trying to say when he said, "all." He clearly was saying that in his opinion public, private, and open zone have all been guilty of making first contact.

Now let me ask you a question. Rather than bashing him because he doesn't name every instance he's seen over the years (should he just pick one or two, or if he's gonna name names, shoudn't he name them all?) you tell me, regardless of whether HE provided the proof, do YOU believe public, private, and open zone each have examples of where they made the first contact? Or is he wrong? THAT is the question. And that was the point he was clearly making.

If someone makes an allegation that a specific school did wrong, I agree, proof needs to be provided. But in this case, he is not calling out a specific school or event, and everyone on this board knows he's right. It doesn't mean EVERY public, EVERY private, and EVERY open zone is guilty, but it does mean that the issue is not exclusive to one of those particular groups. If you somehow read his post and concluded that he was targeting one particular school, I think you are really stretching.

Whether the OP ever provides "proof" on this message board or not, he is right, and you know it.

Edited by Govolsknox

Come on ABB. I've read your posts enough to know that you are a smart guy, and you know what he was trying to say when he said, "all." He clearly was saying that in his opinion public, private, and open zone have all been guilty of making first contact.

Now let me ask you a question. Rather than bashing him because he doesn't name every instance he's seen over the years (should he just pick one or two, or if he's gonna name names, shoudn't he name them all?) you tell me, regardless of whether HE provided the proof, do YOU believe public, private, and open zone each have examples of where they made the first contact? Or is he wrong? THAT is the question. And that was the point he was clearly making.

If someone makes an allegation that a specific school did wrong, I agree, proof needs to be provided. But in this case, he is not calling out a specific school or event, and everyone on this board knows he's right. It doesn't mean EVERY public, EVERY private, and EVERY open zone is guilty, but it does mean that the issue is not exclusive to one of those particular groups. If you somehow read his post and concluded that he was targeting one particular school, I think you are really stretching.

Whether the OP ever provides "proof" on this message board or not, he is right, and you know it.

Someone has read "legal speak for dummies"

I think there are both public and private schools who are guilty of this. I was mainly trying to stir his pot, and I succeeded. So.....he got GOONED!! :)

It's amazing how seriously some people take us Goons.

The solution seems pretty obvious to me.  Something along these lines:

Privates and Schools without a defined zone -- players that do not live within a specific geographical radius of the school can not participate in district/region or playoff games. They can participate in all other varsity games. Players that move from another high school school in-state, in grades 9-12, only have a maximum of two years of varsity eligibility. They also must sit out the first full varsity season after transfer. They also may not practice until the beginning of Fall practice in the year they become eligible. Students who completed both years of middle school at a school within a specified distance of the high school could be exempt from the geographic radius requirement above (normal feeder school type situation).

This way the privates can still offer the high value education to a deserving youngster and that player can play varsity sports, he just won't have a impact on championships and playoffs. It's just a win/win.  Alternatively, they could buy the family a really nice house in Belle Meade when the player is in middle school and he'll be eligible, full time, for the full four years.

This sounds pretty fair.

The solution seems pretty obvious to me. Something along these lines:

Privates and Schools without a defined zone -- players that do not live within a specific geographical radius of the school can not participate in district/region or playoff games. They can participate in all other varsity games. Players that move from another high school school in-state, in grades 9-12, only have a maximum of two years of varsity eligibility. They also must sit out the first full varsity season after transfer. They also may not practice until the beginning of Fall practice in the year they become eligible. Students who completed both years of middle school at a school within a specified distance of the high school could be exempt from the geographic radius requirement above (normal feeder school type situation).

This way the privates can still offer the high value education to a deserving youngster and that player can play varsity sports, he just won't have a impact on championships and playoffs. It's just a win/win. Alternatively, they could buy the family a really nice house in Belle Meade when the player is in middle school and he'll be eligible, full time, for the full four years.

This sounds pretty fair.

Sounds pretty drastic, buying a middle school kid a house to win a championship. This isn't college. Will the middle schools split too.