New 6A Playoff Bracket

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have been pondering a scenario. Let's say a team like Lebanon goes 0-10 and faces Whitehaven in the first round. What keeps them from forfeiting the game and saving the money from travel. What if the principal or AD agree it's not being a good steward of school monies to make such a trip. I'm not saying either team would do it. I'm just wondering what would keep a team from doing that.

Wave88:

I really thought this question would generate more dialogue on your scenerio. I guess I was wrong.

Wave88:

I really thought this question would generate more dialogue on your scenerio. I guess I was wrong.

I think this could happen. Not sure if TSSAA could do anything about it either. If a team is very bad, why you want to waste the money to almost guarantee a loss. Especially if it is a long distance.

I think this could happen. Not sure if TSSAA could do anything about it either. If a team is very bad, why you want to waste the money to almost guarantee a loss. Especially if it is a long distance.

I'm in agreement about the possibility as well. The part of your statement that I made bold is essentially the crux of the matter. Did the TSSAA make provision for such of an event? Secondly, if you're the TSSAA, and you've prepared yourself for this contingency; do you really want to force/coerce a school with zero wins on the season to play a post-season game, at their expense and against their will, if you have the power to do so? That's probably something you DON'T want to do. I could very well see some forfeitures happening.

Edited by kwc

I'm in agreement about the possibility as well. The part of your statement that I made bold is essentially the crux of the matter. Did the TSSAA make provision for such of an event? Secondly, if you're the TSSAA, and you've prepared yourself for this contingency; do you really want to force/coerce a school with zero wins on the season to play a post-season game, at their expense and against their will, if you have the power to do so? That's probably something you DON'T want to do. I could very well see some forfeitures happening.

Did this not happen already this year with the softball or baseball tourney? The team wasn't a losing one but maybe close to exams or something if I remember correctly.

Again, I totally disagree with you guys on this.  We aren't talking about a Pickett County that had a 16 man roster last season.  We are talking about the 32 largest enrollments in the State.  Even if, and I'll use the popular Warren County team, goes 0-10, their still gonna play that 11th game and go to Maryville.   At least a fourth of that roster will likely be seniors who realize this is likely their last time to step foot on a football field.  Are they gonna not want this game just because their gonna lose?  Ofcourse not.   The MUCH bigger concern, given recent history would be a post season ban put on a team.   In that event it's simply a forfeit.   Don't get caught up in the "what ifs".   It isn't the first time a team has forfeited a game.

Wave88:

Maybe I'm just too old. I just got to thinking about this after the TSSAA announced the Class 6A structure and teams. I just think this is a possibility. I really was wondering what the team that gets the forfeiture win does for a game. Plus the loss of revenue to both teams and the TSSAA. Without a gate $, what does it benefit the TSSAA? How could you fine a team that doesn't want to spend the money in travel to begin with. I used a recent team with lack of success but it could be any one of four teams across the state that finish as the 8 seed.

Again, I totally disagree with you guys on this.  We aren't talking about a Pickett County that had a 16 man roster last season.  We are talking about the 32 largest enrollments in the State.  Even if, and I'll use the popular Warren County team, goes 0-10, their still gonna play that 11th game and go to Maryville.   At least a fourth of that roster will likely be seniors who realize this is likely their last time to step foot on a football field.  Are they gonna not want this game just because their gonna lose?  Ofcourse not.   The MUCH bigger concern, given recent history would be a post season ban put on a team.   In that event it's simply a forfeit.   Don't get caught up in the "what ifs".   It isn't the first time a team has forfeited a game.

You're right. It isn't the first time a team has forfeited a game. However, I think it could happen. It wouldn't be the end of the world either. Just loss of revenue for the host school.

Edited by kwc

Probable matchups in round 1... Obviously much is to be determined on the field

(8) Warren co @ (1) Maryville

(5) HVA @ (4) Smyrna

(6) Siegel @ (3) D-B

(7) Wm Blount (2) Oakland

(7) Coffee Co @ (2) Science Hill

(6) Bearden @ (3) Riverdale

(5) Cookeville @ (4) Bradley

(8) Jeff Co @ (1) Blackman

This would make for some great 2ed and 3ed round matchups.It doesn't matter what order you finish if you have an average team.I can't wait to see some of those  matchups and the first round games might even have one or two good games.