William Blount @Heritage

Governm

As much as people on here give me crap for making excuses you won't see me saying we can't win because all of our athletes are walking the halls. I have always said we can field a decent to good football team with what we have on the roster and I truly believe that. Our biggest issues have been a lack of discipline and effort. You aren't going to win many games against tough competition when you arm tackle, turn the ball over 4,5,or 6 times a game,and get 85 yards worth of personal foul penalties in a game. If the Govs play hard and play smart every game we will be a tough out for most teams on our schedule and Shad is getting them to that point already. If we can win 4,5,or 6 games this year it will get those athletes in the hallway to believe in Shad and they will want to be apart of what he is doing. And if we do reach Shad's goal of hosting a playoff game I guarantee you will see the roster grow alot next year. As they say "build it and they will come". Kids don't want to be a part of a program that gets beat by a winless Bearden team.

As much as people on here give me crap for making excuses you won't see me saying we can't win because all of our athletes are walking the halls. I have always said we can field a decent to good football team with what we have on the roster and I truly believe that. Our biggest issues have been a lack of discipline and effort. You aren't going to win many games against tough competition when you arm tackle, turn the ball over 4,5,or 6 times a game,and get 85 yards worth of personal foul penalties in a game. If the Govs play hard and play smart every game we will be a tough out for most teams on our schedule and Shad is getting them to that point already. If we can win 4,5,or 6 games this year it will get those athletes in the hallway to believe in Shad and they will want to be apart of what he is doing. And if we do reach Shad's goal of hosting a playoff game I guarantee you will see the roster grow alot next year. As they say "build it and they will come". Kids don't want to be a part of a program that gets beat by a winless Bearden team.

Absolutely right. If I seemed to imply that they can't win because the good players are roaming the hallways, then I did not get my point across. Having those other kids in school playing on the team will make the team better, but the team they have now can play better and play competitively. I believe they will beat Heritage. I also believe they can beat several other teams on their schedule. They need more bodies, but as you put it so eloquently, they also need to cut out personal fouls, turnovers, and above all, don't give up if they get behind. They have the athletes to make some quick strike scores if they give effort on every play. They have skill players that can compete with any school on the schedule. They have run the ball well against some very good defenses. Pass protect better, and make a few more defensive stops and this season would already be much different. Shad is doing it the right way. They are on they way up. Go Govs,

1. Define what you mean by "better game" MountainRebel.

2.  Didn't Rob soundly defeat ETCoach in the Blount County Golf Tourney this year?

this is one of the better weeks of football for all 4 fan bases. So, I think it's who you cheer for as too what game is the better game. Can't believe these games just happen to be played on same week. Agree with others that some dollars will be lost for the athletic programs. 2. I'm pretty sure ETCoach was soundly defeated. After reading the early coverage of the tourney, I had to see if any crow was going to be eaten! 3. I've enjoyed reading your post on the T the last 10yrs.

Whatever your opinion is on the WB football program I think we can all agree that WB has underachieved since 2007. Some have said its a pipe dream for WB to be a consistent winner because we have 2 teams right down the road that are going to state every year and that might be true.... But.... Let's stare down the pink elephant in the room. Regardless of how good you think WB could or couldn't be everyone should be able to admit that WB has lost some games that are just head scratchers that we shouldn't have lost in recent years. I'm looking at you Bearden! Is there anyone that can seriously say we shouldn't have won that game? I mean Heritage killed them and Lenoir City beat them comfortably. So how in the heck did we manage to lose that game? It's trifling..... And you can't blame that loss on Maryville and Alcoa being right down the road. There have been a number of other losses like that one that have left me scratching my head and thinking "what the h#$%. My point is winning those games we should win is half the battle and I think we will consistently do that with Shadowens. So lets go out there and beat Heritage and win the other winnable games on the schedule and then we can worry about getting kids out of the hallway and being a powerhouse that can take on Alcoa and Maryville.

Edited by Governors91

The Punisher sure knew his history of both teams very well. When I think of William Blount back when they started it was two smaller schools Friendsville and Lanier and part of Everett and all three were very rarely worth a flip in football. Any team that has ever won over 4 games there has been an overachiever knowing what original teams actually went into that program. The Heritage program at least had Porter and Walland who had lots of success in Class A along with the remains of Everett who would go six or seven years before it would produce a winning record but when they did it was built around a very big senior class. Also another school, Townsend only had a hundred kids in the entire school and came very close the last year of not having a team because they had 16 or 17 players. When I look at the recipe that went into these two schools it's no surprise what we have seen the past 39 years for Heritage and 37 years for William Blount. When I hear WB's coach comment about losing it's not something that just started yesterday. It's something that goes back generations if you look at who these schools were from the beginning. Most people I have ever known that sent their kid to one of the two city schools wanted to break this cycle by not being apart of it anymore. The task of rebuilding either one of these schools with the baggage attached to both would be an under taking in it's self. Earl Mac and Scott Meadows may have been the best two coaches the county ever had at either one of these programs to this point. 

Barney,

What happened in the 1970s has no bearing on the present. The side of the county that WB is in has grown a lot since then.

Son you would argue with a fence post and that's why WB has the longest threads on the board. What happened in the 70's were the seeds or offspring of what goes on now. The same ole thing now as then. Getting kids out for football from Friendsville and Lanier areas are the very same except even worse now. Why do you think they had to put the two middle schools together to make one program. The county would be miles ahead if they went on and built a third high school at Carpenters and all three could play in an environment they would be able to compete in like Porter and Walland did in the 70's. Even Lanier had good teams in those days. It's a shame that a lot of people that are on here wasn't around back then to see how much better it was before combining all these schools into two. Especially Gov91.