Loudon @ CAK

AMYoung

The plan going into the season was for 8 and 21 to have the corners.  21 suffered a nagging injury shortly before the first game and took several weeks to get to 100%.  Since he's been back to full activity, he and 23 have split time.  By the time of the Alcoa game, perhaps sooner, I suspect both of them will be in a backup role at CB with some of the offensive starters splitting time at CB on that side of the defense.  Two or three of the senior WR have experience at CB, so I'm guessing the coach will want as much of that seniority/experience on the field as possible during crunch time.

Regarding the weather, I don't think postponement is a viable option.  CAK has a Thursday game next week against Clinton, so Monday is not an attractive option to play Loudon.  CAK's only open date is the Friday before the Alcoa game.  This is the first time I ever remember Coach Bradley having two weeks to prepare for Alcoa.  He will not want to trade that for playing Loudon that week, even assuming Loudon has the same open date (which isn't likely).  Another complicating factor is this is a TV game tonight.  I'm sure WBIR doesn't have the ultimate say in whether a game goes or not, but if it's playable, they'll expect us to play it as scheduled or they'll be hesitant to schedule us for TV in the future.

Regarding the weather, since I no longer have a direct pipeline to CAK, I hated to be the one that showed up if the game was cancelled. I would not be surprised at all if some teams elect to move their game to Monday due to smaller gates, injury potential, etc. But I'm gathering you don't see that as a real possibility in this game.

If you or someone else were to hear about any changes, please post them on here for those of us who don't have an easy way to find out.

I hate 30 has to recover but am not surprised, and this is a good week for that to happen. Unless things take an unexpected turn, I see 14 and 9 getting a lot more reps than 31 at ILB. On an unrelated note, I'm a little surprised I haven't seen 15 in on defense at all this year which I'm a little surprised at based on the previous 3 years, but then again, our defense hasn't needed a lot of help. I do wonder if that may happen come play off time....

Also, I have been wondering about 21 & 23. After last year, I kind of assumed 21 would see the bulk of the time at CB along with 8, but have been surprised that he hasn't seen more PT than he has. 23 has done a nice job, I'm just a little puzzled by it.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It seemed the game plan was "win comfortably and try to avoid getting anybody hurt."  Based on the many years I've followed CAK football, I was a little surprised he pulled the 1's as early as he did. I think having one starter already out (#30, although he did play the first defensive series in spite of what had been announced about his status), having a Thursday game next week against a dangerous Clinton team, and then two road games to finish the season (McMinn Central and Alcoa), contributed to his decision to pull the 1's as early as he did.

Kudos to the Redskins.  They played hard, clean, and never gave up.  With the exception of sending 12 men onto the field for the first play from scrimmage, they seem to be a very well coached team and they have some talent and some good stuff to build on.

Looked like Bradley was pretty nice. Pulled his 1's in the 3rd qtr. up 35-6. Looked like Loudon left their starters in against CAK's pups.