Thoughts on Disciplining Team for a Couple Players' Actions

Accountability... the actions of one or a few (on or off the field) impact the success or failure of all involved. My college baseball coach did the same thing.  The rule breaker got his #### beat after practice, and that was the end of it. I assure you that the guys on that team though twice about breaking team rules after that day of running and the tail kicking laid on the violator. Players need to be accountable to each other as much, or more so than their coach.

Certainly you realize that a team beating up an individual player is likely to be met with different consequences today than in the past.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I never said this happened anywhere. I just asked a hypothetical, and as usual, you assume you know what I'm thinking.

Did something like this happen at Oak Ridge?

This wasn't difficult to find out about. As usual, you lied. You didn't just create a hypothetical. You're trying to get traction, you're trying to get people, unnamed people, to jump on your bandwagon to verbally bash your least favorite coach. Knowing what I now know my response is to wait and see what happens at the next game played. The players in question should be punished more than the rest of the team, who were punished by putting on their pants. Please just tell the truth in the future.....or change your onscreen name.

So you're fine with everyone on the team suffering more than the ruler breakers?

Interesting.

I guess you would of plastered me back in my coaching days also.  I used to hit infield and outfield to my softball players and for each error, the entire team ran around the ball field.   Is it fair to make a kid that made no errors run 5 laps for the ones that did?  I don't know.  Did it multiply the pressure on not making an error because you didn't want to punish the other girls?  Absolutely!!   Did we win numerous State titles?  You bet ya!  

Oh, for ever play above and beyond in which the girl went overboard (diving in the dirt for a ground ball for example) a lap was removed from the total.   It was a very effective tool for both focusing on making the play and rewarding (the whole team) for over the top good effort.

Edited by FreeAgent11

This wasn't difficult to find out about. As usual, you lied. You didn't just create a hypothetical. You're trying to get traction, you're trying to get people, unnamed people, to jump on your bandwagon to verbally bash your least favorite coach. Knowing what I now know my response is to wait and see what happens at the next game played. The players in question should be punished more than the rest of the team, who were punished by putting on their pants. Please just tell the truth in the future.....or change your onscreen name.

Your best post on this topic.  "change your screen name"... If you don't wish to shed negative light on Oak Ridge (like you have) then a new screen name is in order. 

It sounds like several guys here would have a big Problem if they went to Marine Corps Bootcamp ... we had a guy that Screwed up a lot the first couple of weeks , he got the full treatment from the Drill Instructors .... nothing changed ... until they told him to sit down one day when it was about 90 degrees .... even went and got him a Coke .... then proceeded to PT the Crap out of all of us while this Loser watched  .... he even seemed to enjoy it , Drill Instructors even asked him if he was tired yet ... lol ... he said No so they worked us even harder ...... needless to say his attitude and demeanor didn't change any at all untill he got a few friendly persuasions to develop a better attitude from his Fellow Marines in the middle of the night . 

I know this isn't the USMC , but you really have the same things going on when you're trying to develop a Group of Men into a team and expect accountability from every last one . You can have the meanest Coach Alive and it might not help the team at all unless you have your Players also holding each other Accountable . The Problem I have here is so many Parents or other adults thinking that they know more than anyone else and going to any lengths to undermine the Coach . The sole purpose of this thread is the same as about every post Truth teller makes on an Oak Ridge thread .... and that is to sabotage and undermine the head Coach which he so obviously wishes was still Blade . 

It sounds like several guys here would have a big Problem if they went to Marine Corps Bootcamp ... we had a guy that Screwed up a lot the first couple of weeks , he got the full treatment from the Drill Instructors .... nothing changed ... until they told him to sit down one day when it was about 90 degrees .... even went and got him a Coke .... then proceeded to PT the Crap out of all of us while this Loser watched  .... he even seemed to enjoy it , Drill Instructors even asked him if he was tired yet ... lol ... he said No so they worked us even harder ...... needless to say his attitude and demeanor didn't change any at all untill he got a few friendly persuasions to develop a better attitude from his Fellow Marines in the middle of the night . 

I know this isn't the USMC , but you really have the same things going on when you're trying to develop a Group of Men into a team and expect accountability from every last one . You can have the meanest Coach Alive and it might not help the team at all unless you have your Players also holding each other Accountable . The Problem I have here is so many Parents or other adults thinking that they know more than anyone else and going to any lengths to undermine the Coach . The sole purpose of this thread is the same as about every post Truth teller makes on an Oak Ridge thread .... and that is to sabotage and undermine the head Coach which he so obviously wishes was still Blade . 

YOU CAN'T HANDLE THE TRUTH!

I love when people that don't know me think that they can read my mind.

FWIW, one of the players in question has left the practice field on multiple occasions, but won't be sat more than a few plays. If coach, I mean catswild, is honest, he'll admit it.

FWIW, one of the players in question has left the practice field on multiple occasions, but won't be sat more than a few plays. If coach, I mean catswild, is honest, he'll admit it.

You mean the hypothetical player, and the hypothetical coach... Smh

And if you're Honest you'll admit you have a Vendetta against Coach Gaddis.

And if you're Honest you'll admit you have a Vendetta against Coach Gaddis.

I have an issue (not a vendetta) with any adult that's in a position to positively influence a child & decides to be an enabler.

I will make no bones about that. Your coach kicked his starting QB off the team for less than the player in question at OR has done.

Edited by OakRidgeTruthTeller