TSSAA Referees

CoolHandLuke

Cardfan, you da man! I have officiated for the past 9 yrs, took this yr off to spend some time with my daughter. Many ppl don't realize how difficult it is to officiate any level of football because they have never done it. As an official that has sat on the sidelines this year, you see a whole lot more at times than you do on the field. Then at times it's a lot better to be on the field. But the schools and TSSAA don't pay officials to sit and watch the game from the sideline. Like you said most of the officials work a full shift of work on Fridays at their day job then drive sometimes 3 hrs to a school to officiate. Unfortunately most schools don't appreciate the work these guys do and don't provide any adequate facilities for them to dress, no showers at many an then provide no water or even a candy bar (now not all schools fall into this category but the ones that don't are few and far between). So like it was stated earlier 5-6 hrs for $95 and having ignorant fans and at times ignorant coaches screaming at you, well let's just say we love the game. Most every official that I know has played the game ranging in experience from jr high to professional!

I have never met an official that has set out to intentional punish a school player or coach. I'm not saying that it doesn't happen but i have never been apart of such game in 9 plus years.

Now back to the original topic, I myself was under the impression that TSSAA ran background checks on us as we must reapply every year. Like many of my fellow zebras, I was shocked to find out this wasn't true.

If you think you have what it takes to keep up with these kids and call a ball game then contact your school or the state office and they can help ou get signed up. ðŸ‘

When you register to officiate any high school sport there is a box you must check that asks if you have ever been convicted of a felony.  Of couse everyone checks no but I'm sure we will find out sooner or later how many officials we have with a criminal record.  T$$AA doesn't do background checks for 1 reason and 1 reason only $$$$$$$

Varsity football make $95 a game. The clock official $ 65. They must foot all expenses to and from games plus. To be properly attired ( dress code) they spend on the minimum $250. So before registration and association fees they got to work 2 plus games just to break even.

Throw in the $60 for state registration and then $ 30 for association fees and you are now working at least 4 games. To break even. So you see there are more doing it for the love of the game than there are for the money.

Be hard to get the cream of the crop for that kind of money. Gotta respect what they do. I think we been lucky in this part of the state overall with the officials we get. There's been some bad ones but most do a good job.

I agree. Its just like at everything else. Some are good others are great and some have no business being on the field. That goes for coaches, players, officials, photographers, reporters, school administrators and the list goes on and on.

I wish fans knew half as much as they thought they knew. Even with coaches who are supposed to know.

I had a coach come at me mad as all get out wanting to know what we called. We explained the rule/foul and he stopped stood, there for a minute and said i had no clue. Returned to his sideline and we never heard another peep.

This is not easy. You have to work hard to make it and then no matter what you do you make people mad. Let them play, you gotta get control, thats holding ( which could be called on any play).

For those that think they can do it so well www.tssaa.org/ officials will get you started.

Cardfan, you da man! I have officiated for the past 9 yrs, took this yr off to spend some time with my daughter. Many ppl don't realize how difficult it is to officiate any level of football because they have never done it. As an official that has sat on the sidelines this year, you see a whole lot more at times than you do on the field. Then at times it's a lot better to be on the field. But the schools and TSSAA don't pay officials to sit and watch the game from the sideline. Like you said most of the officials work a full shift of work on Fridays at their day job then drive sometimes 3 hrs to a school to officiate. Unfortunately most schools don't appreciate the work these guys do and don't provide any adequate facilities for them to dress, no showers at many an then provide no water or even a candy bar (now not all schools fall into this category but the ones that don't are few and far between). So like it was stated earlier 5-6 hrs for $95 and having ignorant fans and at times ignorant coaches screaming at you, well let's just say we love the game. Most every official that I know has played the game ranging in experience from jr high to professional!

I have never met an official that has set out to intentional punish a school player or coach. I'm not saying that it doesn't happen but i have never been apart of such game in 9 plus years.

Now back to the original topic, I myself was under the impression that TSSAA ran background checks on us as we must reapply every year. Like many of my fellow zebras, I was shocked to find out this wasn't true.

If you think you have what it takes to keep up with these kids and call a ball game then contact your school or the state office and they can help ou get signed up.

i don't get payed for my 3 hours of driving to and from work either. So you can't count that as part of the job. Student athletes and their coaches work full jobs also and then all the hours of practice, offseason workouts and time away from other commitments probably adds up to whole lot more time spent than officials put in. Add all those hours up through a whole year and then have a game decided by a bad official that has put 2 hours in that night and it's a lot harder for me to feel sorry for them. I do think there are some good ones out there that take pride in there job and do the best they can but they are few and far between.

Most guys i know were surprised we didnt at least get a conviction check ran due to the questions and info we have to provide.

Ill gladly submit to a background check because i know whats there lol.

Btw a good official is always looking to improve and is never satisfied with ok performance. I know guys that really let a blown call keep them up at night. So ease up on them or join them and teach them how it is done.

i don't get payed for my 3 hours of driving to and from work either. So you can't count that as part of the job. Student athletes and their coaches work full jobs also and then all the hours of practice, offseason workouts and time away from other commitments probably adds up to whole lot more time spent than officials put in. Add all those hours up through a whole year and then have a game decided by a bad official that has put 2 hours in that night and it's a lot harder for me to feel sorry for them. I do think there are some good ones out there that take pride in there job and do the best they can but they are few and far between.

When you think about it the ones that get hurt the most by a bad call is the players and they the only ones that don't get paid.

I agree that there are some lazy, worthless HS referees. There are some good ones and a few great ones in TN. There always will be some of each. But, high school football fans, in general, are some of the most ignorant too. I was given a rule book last season, by a ref buddy, to look up some stuff myself. And i say it again, high school football fans are ignorant, and I was one of them.

"Breaking the huddle with 12 men" isn't even a rule in high school football, so I call BS on your post. ;)

I have seen breaking the huddle with twelve men on the field flagged many times.