Official Thread: Mr. Football Nominations for 2015

CoachT

Please help me, and sportswriters across the state, in identifying players worthy of consideration in Class 5A and 6A.

Here are the directions as sent by the TSSAA. Positive comments carry much more weight in this discussion than negative ones.

For the ninth consecutive year, the Tennessee Titans continue to serve as the title sponsor for the Mr. Football Awards. The TSSAA is very appreciative of the generosity of the Titans' organization for their financial support of these awards and for its wide-ranging support of student-athletes across our state.

The format for the awards will see a change this year. Four semi-finalists will be announced for each category and each classification on November 5. There are six classifications in Division I and two in Division II. With "Back of the Year" and "Lineman of the Year" for each classification, as well as the "Kicker of the Year" award, that makes for a total of 17 award categories.

Two finalists in each category will be announced on November 16 by Mike Keith on TitansOnline.com. The two finalists for each award will be recognized at the Tennessee Titans Mr. Football awards luncheon at Nissan Stadium, where the winners will be announced.

You are asked to submit the name of up to three players in each classification for the Mr. Football Lineman of the Year Award and the Mr. Football Back of the Year Award. You are also asked to submit three players, regardless of classification, for the Mr. Football Kicker of the Year award. It is not necessary to vote for three players in each category, but that is your option. If you feel an individual player is one of the top three players in both categories, then you may list him in both.

These votes are a nominating process only. A selection committee will meet to choose Mr. Football Lineman, Back and Kicker of the Year.

In order for your ballot to be counted, it must be submitted no later than THURSDAY, OCTOBER 29. Please take some time, discuss this with your staff and fill out the online ballot. Thank your for your help in honoring Tennessee's finest.

• Upvote 1

Please help me, and sportswriters across the state, in identifying players worthy of consideration in Class 5A and 6A.

Here are the directions as sent by the TSSAA. Positive comments carry much more weight in this discussion than negative ones.

For the ninth consecutive year, the Tennessee Titans continue to serve as the title sponsor for the Mr. Football Awards. The TSSAA is very appreciative of the generosity of the Titans' organization for their financial support of these awards and for its wide-ranging support of student-athletes across our state.

The format for the awards will see a change this year. Four semi-finalists will be announced for each category and each classification on November 5. There are six classifications in Division I and two in Division II. With "Back of the Year" and "Lineman of the Year" for each classification, as well as the "Kicker of the Year" award, that makes for a total of 17 award categories.

Two finalists in each category will be announced on November 16 by Mike Keith on TitansOnline.com. The two finalists for each award will be recognized at the Tennessee Titans Mr. Football awards luncheon at Nissan Stadium, where the winners will be announced.

You are asked to submit the name of up to three players in each classification for the Mr. Football Lineman of the Year Award and the Mr. Football Back of the Year Award. You are also asked to submit three players, regardless of classification, for the Mr. Football Kicker of the Year award. It is not necessary to vote for three players in each category, but that is your option. If you feel an individual player is one of the top three players in both categories, then you may list him in both.

These votes are a nominating process only. A selection committee will meet to choose Mr. Football Lineman, Back and Kicker of the Year.

In order for your ballot to be counted, it must be submitted no later than THURSDAY, OCTOBER 29. Please take some time, discuss this with your staff and fill out the online ballot. Thank your for your help in honoring Tennessee's finest.

Dillon Mitchell (1500+ yards, 22 TD's), Taeler Dowdy (1400 rushing yards), Vic Johnson (1200 rushing yards) and Jacoby Stevens are all guys I would consider

Victavious Johnson has played in 8 games. 152 rushes for 1556 yards and 19 TD.  A 10.2 yards per carry average.  Averages 194. 5 total yards per game.  This coming in what I believe is one of the toughest regions in the state, where they know that he is going to get the football.  He was also the 6A choice for All State last year at RB.  

He would be my choice, to at least be in the running.  There are some good players in this district and state wide.  I am a little biased.  

I would also add Ikenne Okeke from Smyrna to that list.  Don't know about stats, but he is a baller.

Dillon Mitchell (1500+ yards, 22 TD's), Taeler Dowdy (1400 rushing yards), Vic Johnson (1200 rushing yards) and Jacoby Stevens are all guys I would consider

According to the ShelbyMetroSportsBlogSpot website's Individual Stats Page, Dillon Mitchell is currently averaging 236.7 ypg of all-purpose yards. As of October 14, 2015, DM has scored 23 TDs totaling 138 points. He's intercepted 2 passes on the year for 122 yards of interception return yardage. He's returned one of the two for a touchdown. He's the leading receiver in the Memphis Metro area with 51 receptions. He's ammassed 889 yards of receiving yards scoring 12 TDs for an average of 16.9 yards per catch. He's carried the ball 33 times for 547 yards and 10 TDs. He currently has the highest yards per carry average in the Memphis Metro area for anyone with more then 10 carries on the year.

These numbers will change as the season progresses.

According to the ShelbyMetroSportsBlogSpot website's Individual Stats Page, Dillon Mitchell is currently averaging 236.7 ypg of all-purpose yards. As of October 14, 2015, DM has scored 23 TDs totaling 138 points. He's intercepted 2 passes on the year for 122 yards of interception return yardage. He's returned one of the two for a touchdown. He's the leading receiver in the Memphis Metro area with 51 receptions. He's ammassed 889 yards of receiving yards scoring 12 TDs for an average of 16.9 yards per catch. He's carried the ball 33 times for 547 yards and 10 TDs. He currently has the highest yards per carry average in the Memphis Metro area for anyone with more then 10 carries on the year.

These numbers will change as the season progresses.

Yeah I was just going off what was on unapproved website. Feel free to correct me if they're not accurate. At any rate, I think Mitchell is the front-runner for Back

Yeah I was just going off what was on unapproved website. Feel free to correct me if they're not accurate. At any rate, I think Mitchell is the front-runner for Back

No problem MidTennFootball. I just so happened to know of a website that follows the stats of the local players so I thought I'd give that info out to everyone. It would be great if everyone who is mentioning their candidates could do the same. I know that's difficult for most cases, so I thought i'd volunteer the info that I had at my fingertips to help folk out.

You also have to be aware of what's going on as well. For instance, I know that DM intercepted a pass in the Arlington game that was taken from end zone to end zone for 100 yards; Yet the SMSBS website said that his longest INT is 61 yards. So ... then there is that discrepency.

Don't get me wrong ... I love the site, but as I said, you have to be aware. Those guys do a fantastic job cataloguing data. It's a monstrous job and I'm overjoyed that they do what they do because I'm sure that Middle Tennessee and East Tennessee would love to have a site that does what the SMSBS does.

Edited by kwc

Yes I am biased when it comes to the running back here at Blackman because he is one of ours, However I will say you should see a flip flop number wise between he and Vic Johnson, primarily due to strength of opponent in the last 2 games. With Blackman facing Warren and Coffee county to wrap up normal season play I would not be surprised to see Dowdy get 300+ on each of those games. Keep in mind Vic Johnson has already played these teams early on. Dowdy had nearly 300 yds last week against Smyrna with 3 td's and played nearly none of the 4th qtr I have not seen Mitchell play but his numbers are very impressive. My biggest question would be what is the strength of schedule look like at all three schools comparatively?. And secondly, who they wrap their season up with these last two weeks could be the game changer stat wise. 

Edited by Blaze45

Yes I am biased when it comes to the running back here at Blackman because he is one of ours, However I will say you should see a flip flop number wise between he and Vic Johnson, primarily due to strength of opponent in the last 2 games. With Blackman facing Warren and Coffee county to wrap up normal season play I would not be surprised to see Dowdy get 300+ on each of those games. Keep in mind Vic Johnson has already played these teams early on. Dowdy had nearly 300 yds last week against Smyrna with 3 td's and played nearly none of the 4th qtr I have not seen Mitchell play but his numbers are very impressive. My biggest question would be what is the strength of schedule look like at all three schools comparatively?. And secondly, who they wrap their season up with these last two weeks could be the game changer stat wise. 

Dillon Mitchel plays for White Station. White Station playes in Region 4, 6A. There have been four teams from this region to be listed in the AP Top 10 during the course of the season. Whitehaven, White Station, Arlington, and Cordova. Currently, Whitehaven, White Station, and Cordova are in the most recent poll. White Station's OOC schedule has a game against one of the large DII area schools ... Christian Brothers. The other two games are against two of the better large public schools in Desoto County, Mississippi in Olive Branch and Desoto Central. None of those OOC games are cupcakes. DM has put his numbers up against some very STIFF competition. That's one of the hardest schedule around. That's why they are in the 6A AP Top ten with 3 losses.

Edited by kwc

I think the SOS was talking more to me!!!!. I agree that the CAVS still have two very tough games to play.  However, Vic did not play but one quarter at Warren County, and got dinged up with a hip injury.  He had 6 carries for 49 yards and 2 td's early.  Got injured on the first kickoff of the game, and tried to fight thru, and was pulled.  Was on his way to a very big night.  Not all about stats and numbers.  I think Jacoby, and Okeke are both better players.  They just don't touch it like the two running backs do.  Dowdy is a great runner, and will put up very big numbers through out the year.  Would you want to switch supporting casts with Vic???  I think what he has done with what is around him is outstanding.  

**Have not idea about Mitchell, but I hear he is as good as advertised.

I think the SOS was talking more to me!!!!. I agree that the CAVS still have two very tough games to play. However, Vic did not play but one quarter at Warren County, and got dinged up with a hip injury. He had 6 carries for 49 yards and 2 td's early. Got injured on the first kickoff of the game, and tried to fight thru, and was pulled. Was on his way to a very big night. Not all about stats and numbers. I think Jacoby, and Okeke are both better players. They just don't touch it like the two running backs do. Dowdy is a great runner, and will put up very big numbers through out the year. Would you want to switch supporting casts with Vic??? I think what he has done with what is around him is outstanding.

**Have not idea about Mitchell, but I hear he is as good as advertised.

Ive seen Mitchell play against Oakland, he is indeed legit