Hampton at CG. THURSDAY

uknoit2

None of those mentioned would have made the playoffs in 1A region 2.

Region 2 1A is one of the strongest 1A regions in the state. Coalfield , Oneida , Greenback , are always tough and with Harriman playing well this year it would be hard for many teams the size of those mentioned to make the playoffs there. Cosby , Hampton , N.G all should be 1A anyway. Everyone will go look at the numbers and say i'm  wrong but i would say Cosby is smaller in numbers than some of those 1A schools mentioned. There MIGHT be 350 kids at Cosby...when they did the last count we had an unusually large senior class counted homebound and vocational kids that never enter the doors of the school and we were still placed in 2A by 6 kids.

ANYWAY back to the topic.....Region 2 1A is STOUT as a big red onion! saying they wouldnt make the playoffs over there doesnt exactly make them awful. Hampton has beat GP and SN and HV who all are very solid teams and quality opponents. S.G. isnt bad....Cosby and N.G. arent awful....CG is pretty bad but its not like they are putting a M.S. team on the field either

• Replies 359
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Region 2 1A is one of the strongest 1A regions in the state. Coalfield , Oneida , Greenback , are always tough and with Harriman playing well this year it would be hard for many teams the size of those mentioned to make the playoffs there. Cosby , Hampton , N.G all should be 1A anyway. Everyone will go look at the numbers and say i'm  wrong but i would say Cosby is smaller in numbers than some of those 1A schools mentioned. There MIGHT be 350 kids at Cosby...when they did the last count we had an unusually large senior class counted homebound and vocational kids that never enter the doors of the school and we were still placed in 2A by 6 kids.

ANYWAY back to the topic.....Region 2 1A is STOUT as a big red onion! saying they wouldnt make the playoffs over there doesnt exactly make them awful. Hampton has beat GP and SN and HV who all are very solid teams and quality opponents. S.G. isnt bad....Cosby and N.G. arent awful....CG is pretty bad but its not like they are putting a M.S. team on the field either

I disagree about Cumberland-Gap, I have seen middle school teams that would beat this year's team. You can try and make a case for the rest of those teams, but the bottom line is they are not very good at all. 

Cloudland wouldn't make the playoffs in Region 2-A or Region 2-AA. Oakdale would have been the #6 team in Region 2-A and they are equal to Cloudland. 

Austin Whitehead and Colby Birchfield would be standouts on any team in region 2. Just don't have the overall team as the region 2 teams. But these 2 can beat you . Ask Coalfield.

I'd say having a quality team did that for you.

It helped, but the experience of playing those tough non conference games helped the confidence going into those games. You guys only have 3 games you can schedule out of region play. Trying to get Betsy was good. Would've been a huge game for both. My guess is Betsy had the same attitude that all of the schools in Knox County have about playing GCA. "Nothing to gain, everything to lose, playing a 2A school"

I disagree about Cumberland-Gap, I have seen middle school teams that would beat this year's team. You can try and make a case for the rest of those teams, but the bottom line is they are not very good at all. 

When did you see them play? Early in the season when they had about 7 or 8 starters out they were awful. Their last 4 games I felt like they looked quite a bit better. The team that lost to Hancock early in the year and the team Hampton played Friday are completely different....Ive seen em. Hampton makes a lot of people look bad but if the team they played friday would have been healthy for Hancock and N.G. they may have won a couple. You are correct that they arent very good but I dont know of many M.S. teams that would beat em

Austin Whitehead and Colby Birchfield would be standouts on any team in region 2. Just don't have the overall team as the region 2 teams. But these 2 can beat you . Ask Coalfield.

Oakdale's Austin Lowe is better than both those kids at Cloudland, but that doesn't mean that 1 or 2 players will beat a team of the ilk of Greenback, Oneida, Coalfield or Harriman. You have to have great coaching with depth, and good players all the way around. 

If Cloudland had a little more depth and enough coaches and resources to do it right they would be hard to handle with those 2 kids for ANYONE in 1A!

Hey! Good to see chatter from others!

Pride, we're healthy right now anyways...we'll soon see what sos means...I will say not playing the 2nd half of the last couple games would be the biggest concern to me at this point

You make a good point but even that don't concern me. Our starters will play next week and they should be rested and ready to go. If we get by that one we should be in sink and ready for the next challenge.