Henry County @ Centennial

redblooded

This is going to be a good one.  I think a key to the game will be how HC comes out.  It'll be a packed house, and I would venture to say that this game is one of the biggest in school history for Centennial.  If HC can come out and control the 1st quarter, put a few points on the board, and hold CHS it would be huge for the rest of the game. HC has been here before.  CHS hasn't. Emotion is a tricky thing in football.  

I believe right now Indy is the best team in 5A.  However, if Beech beats Hillsboro this week then Indy draws Hillsboro as their first round opponent.  Either way, if the're still standing after the first 3 rounds, they will have earned it by beating some combination of Hendersonville/Beech/Cane Ridge/Hillsboro.  That's 3 weeks of extremely physical fotball.

Centennial has been in the playoffs 4 of the past 5 years and made the quarterfinals of 6A last year, losing 17-10 to eventual runner-up Ravenwood.  They may not have the track record of HC but they have been in big games in recent years.

Centennial has been in the playoffs 4 of the past 5 years and made the quarterfinals of 6A last year, losing 17-10 to eventual runner-up Ravenwood.  They may not have the track record of HC but they have been in big games in recent years.

I was thinking the same thing. Centennial will certainly respect HC, but they are a team that was competing in 6A last year and will not be star struck. 

They are not like the teams HC is used to playing during the regular season and if anything, CHS is more used to playing games like this during the regular season than HC is.

This most likely will be round one for these two teams.

You missed one key stat.

Centennial has played a tougher schedule.

But. . . .

Henry County opponent's opponent record: 734-398

Centennial opponent's opponent record: 560-572

Opponents Record

HC Opponents: 33-48

CHS Opponents: 42-40

I don't think HC has played a top tier team this season. (Nothing against 3A Liberty)

Edited by FactsOnly

Important traits of a winning program, Red Swarm, are experience and composure. HC has been in the big games; been there, done that. Centennial will be anxious and overly nervous, I believe. This will lead to penalties and turnovers, which can easily snowball on them.

Centennials Coaches certainly have the needed experience and they seem to have the experience edge when it comes to the offensive side of the ball.

If anything I wonder how well a young HC offense will fare in the big game.

Centennials Coaches certainly have the needed experience and they seem to have the experience edge when it comes to the offensive side of the ball.

If anything I wonder how well a young HC offense will fare in the big game.

If last week was any indication about being calm, cool and collected when time was ticking - then they passed the test. I am anxious to see how Dodson does against this run defense, having to try and run all night and then be nimble enough to play stud LB without rest...interesting.

Go Big RED!!!

If last week was any indication about being calm, cool and collected when time was ticking - then they passed the test. I am anxious to see how Dodson does against this run defense, having to try and run all night and then be nimble enough to play stud LB without rest...interesting.

Go Big RED!!!

Dodson is not their lead back and has only 60 carries thru nine games.  He may get a few more Friday but it won't slow him down on D.  Also found it interesting that he isn't the leading tackler on the team.  That honor goes to his LB partner.

http://thecougarnation.scorebird.com/2015/10/centennial-stats-through-week-8/

I was thinking the same thing. Centennial will certainly respect HC, but they are a team that was competing in 6A last year and will not be star struck. 

They are not like the teams HC is used to playing during the regular season and if anything, CHS is more used to playing games like this during the regular season than HC is.

This most likely will be round one for these two teams.

My point was not that Centennial had never played a big game.  All I'm saying is... They have a chance to win what would be the school's first district/region championship, right? This should be one of the best/most watched games in the state this week.  They get the chance to gain homefield advantage until the semifinals, which would mean they don't have to make that long trip across the river into the "sticks" and play this same Henry County team on what I would guess would be a cold, wet field, in front of the loudest crowd a lot of them will ever play in front of.

This game means a ton to Centennial, just like it does to us. Just don't act like you've never seen a team come out tight and too emotional in games like this.  I give HC the nod in big-game experience overall, though.  These seniors have played on a gold ball team.  The leadership is there.

I think it's a toss-up on paper.  If you take each team's worst game away, the argument could be made that Centennial is in fact the favorite.  Any team that can get ran like they did against Indy is not indestructible, though.  If HC can keep from getting behind early and force Centennial to pass I like their chances.  

Edited by RedSwarm

You missed one key stat.

Centennial has played a tougher schedule. 

Opponents Record

HC Opponents: 33-48

CHS Opponents: 42-40

I don't think HC has played a top tier team this season. (Nothing against 3A Liberty)

And who would u consider top tier??? It's not like centennial is head and shoulders better than Liberty...independence is top tier, and we saw how well centennial handled that issue

Centennial should be favored, keep the Patriots to 3 or fewer points and we'll all be impressed

And who would u consider top tier??? It's not like centennial is head and shoulders better than Liberty...independence is top tier, and we saw how well centennial handled that issue

Centennial should be favored, keep the Patriots to 3 or fewer points and we'll all be impressed

Not having seen HC play, how is their passing game?  Indy beat Centennial thru the air but they do have a QB (19 TDs vs 2 ints) getting looks from OVC schools and a WR committed to Purdue. I noted CHS is allowing an average of 1.8 yds per carry so HC may have to put it up more than normal.   

Liberty is top tier no doubt.  

It remains inexplicable why they did win it all last year.  It will be inexplicable if they don't this year.