Round 1 - Dyersburg @ Covington

CHARGERFAN

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think we have a full house -- this has new a bad year especially for visiting fans prolly only had twenty or so between Hamilton and Sheffield and that may be generous. That's one of the main reasons Wheeler wanted to stay in region with Dyersburg and Milan because their fans travel well just like we do

I think we have a full house -- this has new a bad year especially for visiting fans prolly only had twenty or so between Hamilton and Sheffield and that may be generous. That's one of the main reasons Wheeler wanted to stay in region with Dyersburg and Milan because their fans travel well just like we do

Made the trip up from Somerville to watch this game. Very impressed with both teams, but Covington just executed when it mattered most. Dyersburg scored and went for 2 to take the lead early in the 4th 8-7. Covington goes three and out, punts, and dyersburg drives and kicks a FG to extend the lead to 11-7 with 2 min left. Covington goes 80 yards and scores with 37 seconds left. Dyersburg tries a reverse pass that is picked off. Covington takes a knee and wins 14-11. Heck of a game. But like I said, dyersburg's defense was dead tired at the end of the game, and covingtons offense looked pretty fresh.

Here's what I saw. Dyersburg took the opening kickoff and drove the length of the field, going for it on 4th and goal, and disdaining the field goal despite their excellent kicker. Covington stuffs the run and takes over.

The teams traded punts until the Trojans finally fumbled near their own goal. The Chargers had to settle for a field goal, but roughing the kicker caused Wheeler to take the 3 points off the board and take the first down at the 5. Covington scored from there.

The third quarter saw punts back and forth until Covington threw an interception. D'burg drove about 60 yards to score. Covington jumped offside on the point after, so D'burg then went for 2 and made it.

Score was then 8-7 Dyersburg. The previous post describes how the game ended.

I had predicted the Chargers by 3, and at 14-11' it came out that way.

Edited by CHARGERFAN

I wasn't there but, it looks like it was the 2011 game over again. Tell me more.

1) Dyersburg does not kick FG on 4th and goal from the 4. Would have been tie game and OT

2) It was not Dyersburg defense tired. Covington probably did not have 100 yards offense the whole game up until the last drive. Wheeler made an adjustment on the last drive and ran off tackle out of the offset I-formation eight plays in a row, Dyersburg wasted 2 timeouts in the last minute and still did not adjust. Both timeouts after Covington runs out of bounds and clock is stopped.

3) Get the ball back at the 50 with 37 seconds and run a trick play instead of trying to get about 15 yards for a FG. Those timeouts would have been helpful in getting those 15 yards. SEE # 2

Congrats to Covington and good luck.