Smyrna @ Science Hill : 2nd Round

THSVikings2004

Hey Buddy. Let's say the number one High School team in the country, Bishop Gorman, comes to Maryville and lays 60 on them. By your logic, it is the defensive coordinator's fault and you would be calling for his head. Or maybe he just didn't have the players to compete?

Stronger, Faster and Smarter players can make any coach look good. Dumb, Slow and Weak players can make Any coach look bad. Why is that even in question?

Bishop Gorman wouldn't come to Maryville and put 60 on them. So your just going to make up hypothetical situation? Name the last team in 6a to win state championship that didn't have a good D? And I promise you if someone put 60 on Maryville there would be people calling for the defensive coordinator's head.

All you have done is make excuses for Science Hill. Science Hill doesn't have slow, weak, and dumb players do they? Science Hill has enough athletes to compete with any defense in the state if the are coached up correctly.

Edited by Swipes

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bishop Gorman wouldn't come to Maryville and put 60 on them. So your just going to make up hypothetical situation? Name the last team in 6a to win state championship that didn't have a good D? And I promise you if someone put 60 on Maryville there would be people calling for the defensive coordinator's head.

All you have done is make excuses for Science Hill. Science Hill doesn't have slow, weak, and dumb players do they? Science Hill has enough athletes to compete with any defense in the state if the are coached up correctly.

How do you know Bishop Gorman wouldn't put 60 on them? Of Course, it was hypothetical. No team could win a state championship without a good D. What's that got to do with anything? Not making excuses for anybody! And Of Couse Science Hill has slower, weaker and dumber players than some teams, just like Maryville.

My point was that putting it all on the coaches and not how the athletes match up physically and mentally is ignorant or maybe just stupid!.

How do you know Bishop Gorman wouldn't put 60 on them? Of Course, it was hypothetical. No team could win a state championship without a good D. What's that got to do with anything? Not making excuses for anybody! And Of Couse Science Hill has slower, weaker and dumber players than some teams, just like Maryville.

My point was that putting it all on the coaches and not how the athletes match up physically and mentally is ignorant or maybe just stupid!.

If your in the same class you have similar demographic that's why they have classifications, and on average the same amount of athletes if you look at the whole state of tn. Yes there are some exceptions to the rules but coaching has alot to do with a defense. Just my opinion since I have coached

You are making a fool of yourself.........as usual.

A couple of things I want to comment on. The onside kick/pooch kick was flagged for a penalty because the kid catching the had waved his hand three or four times signaling fair catch. Watch the film if you have access and you will see the signal was pretty obvious. And next was the size of the crowd. I believe we brought as many if not more fans than SHHS had last night. I know our student section was larger. I will have to say in some way I think playing Jefferson County help us prepare for this game. We had a coverage problem against Jefferson Count that they exposed. We got it fixed prior to this game. Just as you want throughout the year, we seem to be getting better each week.

Question does the SHHS band always sit on the visiting side? What would have happened if we brought our band? Because the SHHS band have their own stands. It even has a banner marked "Science Hill Marching Band" to let everyone know that those stands belong to the band. After half time that is where they moved to. Just curious.

I will watch the film. If what you say is true then the refs made a good call

You are dead on about the SHHS fan support in JC. Pathetic. It wasn't that cold. The team deserves better support.

No idea on the band. I must say it was odd.

You are making a fool of yourself.........as usual.

Science Hill isn't there yet but they are light years from where they were before Carter arrived. You can't deny that, but in your envy you might. The 8th and 9th graders dominated. Read Ongie's article in the paper today. Science Hill is obtaining more tools for their players to better compete. Reading the article SHHS is doing the things you don't see.

What you do see is that he's solved the DB part. When his players come through the full system from 7th grade on... We will see what happens. But Science Hill sports in general are getting the better of DB. You beat Carter his first 3 years but in year 3 he pulled even and now he's won the last 4. You loved to beat on him and South because he never beat DB. Now he has equal athletes and is winning. The last game 27-24 is a game SHHS used to lose to DB even in DB's down years. No more.

So, you don't have your streak, you are 3-4 against Carter at Science Hill and his program is rising. All you have is another post toward 10,000.

And you call others a fool?

Edited by TicketToRide

And Hampton still gave up 38 points in the win. I'm going to keep preaching it until these schools in upper east tn. catch on. Hire some dang coaches that know how to coach defense. Maybe I'll put up some billboards, flood the school boards with e-mails, tweet all the parents, maybe fly a plane over 24-7 with a banner.

An interesting discussion along these lines would be how many teams have crossover players.   In other words, if 80% of the offense is also playing defense then it may not be coaching as much as the fact that the guys just get tired, physically and mentally, especially by the 2nd half.   I just don't know how much crossover DB has, maybe none, maybe they have a complete offense and a separate defense, in which case Waco's point has a lot of validity.     But I know in watching Boone closely over the years that maybe 15 guys play instead of 22.     Maybe it's different at other schools, maybe not.

An interesting discussion along these lines would be how many teams have crossover players.   In other words, if 80% of the offense is also playing defense then it may not be coaching as much as the fact that the guys just get tired, physically and mentally, especially by the 2nd half.   I just don't know how much crossover DB has, maybe none, maybe they have a complete offense and a separate defense, in which case Waco's point has a lot of validity.     But I know in watching Boone closely over the years that maybe 15 guys play instead of 22.     Maybe it's different at other schools, maybe not.

I dont know if DB does but a school that is in 6a should have enough people that they can platoon. Greeneville who is less than half the size of DB or SH platoon. There are one or maybe 2 that play both ways but that is at wr/db.

Science Hill isn't there yet but they are light years from where they were before Carter arrived. You can't deny that, but in your envy you might. The 8th and 9th graders dominated. Read Ongie's article in the paper today. Science Hill is obtaining more tools for their players to better compete. Reading the article SHHS is doing the things you don't see.

What you do see is that he's solved the DB part. When his players come through the full system from 7th grade on... We will see what happens. But Science Hill sports in general are getting the better of DB. You beat Carter his first 3 years but in year 3 he pulled even and now he's won the last 4. You loved to beat on him and South because he never beat DB. Now he has equal athletes and is winning. The last game 27-24 is a game SHHS used to lose to DB even in DB's down years. No more.

So, you don't have your streak, you are 3-4 against Carter at Science Hill and his program is rising. All you have is another post toward 10,000.

And you call others a fool?

Don't be so thin skinned. I'm just telling you the truth. I'll be on here in 5 years with post# 20,000 telling you the same thing after Science Hill or DB just lost a first or second round playoff game by 40 points. It's coaching. You can brag till the cows come home about beating another local team who also has weak coaching, it will never get you on down the road in the playoffs. I don't care what you do in the off season as long as you have this same DC you're going nowhere. A good guy but not a very good coach. Sorry if that hurts you're feelings.

You can waste all the time in the world trying to figure out the reason. It's coaching. It's simple to figure out. Look around at all the endless examples.

Don't be so thin skinned. I'm just telling you the truth. I'll be on here in 5 years with post# 20,000 telling you the same thing after Science Hill or DB just lost a first or second round playoff game by 40 points. It's coaching. You can brag till the cows come home about beating another local team who also has weak coaching, it will never get you on down the road in the playoffs. I don't care what you do in the off season as long as you have this same DC you're going nowhere. A good guy but not a very good coach. Sorry if that hurts you're feelings.

You are a fool. You've most likely never played or watched film. You have no idea the inner workings of a program especially at the high school level. Your life was great as long as DB was competitive so you could come here and brag. Now, your team isn't doing so well and what you dished out you can't take. You just sit and whine we need a D coordinator and if someone takes exception you hurl insults.

That's a lot of the problem at DB... People just complain. You are part of the crowd. So you troll and hijack threads. You are thin-skinned and state the obvious. Read Ongies article... There is a ton of truth in it. You are the clueless one.

I will watch the film. If what you say is true then the refs made a good call

You are dead on about the SHHS fan support in JC. Pathetic. It wasn't that cold. The team deserves better support.

No idea on the band. I must say it was odd.

I watched the film and I didn't see a fair catch call. I saw the SHS player jump for the ball.