Union City Coach Darren Bowling

FridayMainEvent

Hey everybody. In response to Atlas, The Jackson Sun brass let us know five or six years ago we have a 13-county coverage area. Unfortunately Obion isn't one of those. I repeatedly have been told there are subscribers in Obion, Dyer, Henry (by the people who claim to subscribe) and other counties outside our circulation area. But I'm guessing it's not a lot, and I know we get very little ad revenue from those counties as well. There are three sports guys on staff, and covering 13 counties is enough of a chore already. So fiscal sense and logistics are why we've had to pull back in recent years. And I'm not sure about the "many" people who've tried to ask and got no response. Over the past three years or so, I've probably had 10 phone conversations with people who called and asked. And we've answered people on our Facebook page. But that's the answer. I understand your frustration and appreciate you want the coverage, but we've got to do what we've got to do.

Thanks buddy. Look forward to your input on teams in West Tennessee. Should be a great Friday Main Event this week on The Ticket Sports Radio.

Edited by FreeAgent11

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When you have Brandon Shields from the Jackson Sun with you, why don't you ask him on the air why Jackson Sun does not cover UC games.  Only mentioning in the paper is when we play a game against one of their dandy dozens.  They did not  mention Jamison Blackwell as a West TN player to be named a Mr Football finalist when they mentioned everyone else.  .  If they say we are not in their coverage area (we are actually closer to Jackson than some other teams), then Jackson Sun needs to quit sending their paper to UC for circulation.  Thanks for allowing us to vent.  Frustrating.  

I got him to respond to you, and no response, Atlas.   A little shocked.

When they write columns ranking "the dirty dozen...the best in west Tennessee" and not include Obion county (which is less than an hour drive from Jackson) not only is it highly disrespectful but it's truthfully bad journalism and false advertising. Here you have a team that has a 38 game win streak which is one of the top 14 longest streaks nationally, yet they refuse to cover it. It's one of the reasons my business will never advertise with them.

My .02

Totally understand and get your point, which is why we make sure to clearly state at the bottom of all Dirty Dozen rankings what our area is. Because there have been other teams that could've been ranked highly in the past few years: Obion County, Henry County, Dyersburg, Dyer County, Covington, Brighton, Munford ... but we're down to three guys and 13 counties is still an ambitious endeavor.

I got him to respond to you, and no response, Atlas.   A little shocked.

settle down your shock.  Sometimes people have other things to do that have higher priority than have a johnny on the spot immediate response to a statement.  Thanks for having Brandon share his perspective.  Always enjoy your show and Brandon's articles in the Jackson Sun.  As previously stated, just wish UC and Obion County mentioned more. 

settle down your shock. Sometimes people have other things to do that have higher priority than have a johnny on the spot immediate response to a statement. Thanks for having Brandon share his perspective. Always enjoy your show and Brandon's articles in the Jackson Sun. As previously stated, just wish UC and Obion County mentioned more.

I guess surprised would of been a better choice of words, sorry. Appreciate you listening.

I guess surprised would of been a better choice of words, sorry. Appreciate you listening.

Thank you for getting Brandon to respond. I started to reply for Atlas but figured he would get to it himself. He is very busy with a demanding career. He very seldom posts on the T. I have known him for several years and he is a top notch guy. I like your show as well. Thank you for getting our kids some exposure.

When you have Brandon Shields from the Jackson Sun with you, why don't you ask him on the air why Jackson Sun does not cover UC games. Only mentioning in the paper is when we play a game against one of their dandy dozens. They did not mention Jamison Blackwell as a West TN player to be named a Mr Football finalist when they mentioned everyone else. . If they say we are not in their coverage area (we are actually closer to Jackson than some other teams), then Jackson Sun needs to quit sending their paper to UC for circulation. Thanks for allowing us to vent. Frustrating.