3A Quarterfinals: CAK at Alcoa (The Annual Rematch)

AlcoaBasketball

Sorry I didn't cover it, but 24 is ready to play, which is big. That will allow 11 to slide over to CB opposite 8. 16 might sub for 11 some at CB if he needs a break. I don't think 15 will play a snap at CB; instead, you'll see him some (maybe even a lot) at the rover/OLB spot splitting time with 6. That's the position 15 actually played a lot in his freshman and sophomore years. I think you'll see a base 3-5 D with 31 playing the 5th LB/wildcard position a lot, lining up sometimes at DE, sometimes creeping into one of the interior gaps to wreak as much havoc as he can from different spots.

I think you might see 31 at RB some, but not nearly as much as the first game. IMO he needs to be lined up at the slot or wide on O, so the first guy who tries to tackle him is a CB or SS who's smaller than him. I think you'll see quite a bit if 3-wide/2-rb sets with 34 and 9 in the backfield. Hopefully CRB will dial up some runs, draws, screens and quick hits to relieve some of the pressure on the OL and RBs for pass protection.

11, 15, 31, 9, 16 all better be ready to play both ways the whole game. You might even see 4 some at Rover if needed. 3 has a high ankle sprain and is doubtful.

Really glad to have 24 back! I am not surprised at all that 15 will play what I call OLB. He was very good at this position even as a freshman / sophomore. He is just a good all around athlete! I actually thought he would play some at OLB this regular season, but the defense was strong without him out there and he was not needed. With 24 being back, that frees 11 to play CB instead of safety. CAK's backfield is very strong in the configuration you described, once again, IF our defense maintains discipline and doesn't get caught looking in the backfield, only to get a nasty surprise through the air.

So are you expecting to see 14 and 31 in the middle (with 31 moving around) and 7 & 15 on the outside? If we are playing a 3-5, who is the 5th "LB?" 

CAK get the boys to basketball practice tomorrow. Alcoa big 42-14... Yall woke up the Giant couple years ago and ohh the motivation they have to beat yall everytime

Woke them up? lol. I think beating them 3 out of 4 times in that 2 year stretch and only bringing home 1 out of 4 Gold balls in the last 4 years, in a town where you are expected to bring it home every year probably got their attention. They played hard. They just got beat.

9 & 14 will probably line up in the traditional spots for ILB most of the time, with 31 occasionally lining up between them, and also moving around to spots like stand-up DE, creep into the inside gaps between NT and DE, etc. If Alcoa splits several guys wide on a side, 31 will line up at LB and 9 will go out in coverage is my guess.

Really glad to have 24 back! I am not surprised at all that 15 will play what I call OLB. He was very good at this position even as a freshman / sophomore. He is just a good all around athlete! I actually thought he would play some at OLB this regular season, but the defense was strong without him out there and he was not needed. With 24 being back, that frees 11 to play CB instead of safety. CAK's backfield is very strong in the configuration you described, once again, IF our defense maintains discipline and doesn't get caught looking in the backfield, only to get a nasty surprise through the air.

So are you expecting to see 14 and 31 in the middle (with 31 moving around) and 7 & 15 on the outside? If we are playing a 3-5, who is the 5th "LB?"

Edited by Warriors2011

Since CRB mentioned it to the newspaper reporter, as quoted this morning's paper, I suppose it's no secret now and OK for me to mention here. In addition to losing OLB 3 in last week's game, the Warriors also lost OT/DT 71 to a knee injury. Many didn't notice it during the game because there was no stoppage of play; he came off the field to get checked and never returned. That means CAK will have five senior starters watching from the sidelines tonight. The loss of 71 on both sides of the line hurts a lot. The loss of so many seniors is compounded by the fact that two sophomore linemen who have good potential went down to season-ending knee injuries earlier in the year, and they would have been the guys to step into the void on DL.

Losing 71 is an extremely tough blow for the Warriors. People always point to the 2011-12 offensive line as to a major reason those state titles were won. At the onset of the season, I think CAK had 4 offensive linemen (71, 55, 75 and 70) who are better than the two underclassmen linemen who started on those teams. Losing 2 of those players to knee injuries has been as bad a blow as this team could endure, short of losing the QB.

I agree wholeheartedly that losing 71 hurts.  Not only is he a very good football player, but he's a quiet leader on and off the field in spite of not being an official captain.  

With all due respect, I can't fully agree with your comparison of this year's players with players on the 2011-12 OL unit.  In my humble opinion, I think you're at most only about half right in your analysis on that issue.  I won't say which half I disagree with as I try to avoid causing hurt feelings among family and friends of current players or past players (and I assume you do too).  And by saying you are half right, I am being intentionally vague as to whether I'm referring to the 2011-12 underclassmen or one or more of the current players you listed, or maybe I'm referring to a little of both.  I do agree that this year's OL looked to be very strong, and certainly the strongest as a collective unit, since 2012 (before all the injuries).

Hopefully the healthy OL you mentioned in your post will rise to the challenge tonight and prove they are worthy of the esteem you hold for them.  I hope so, 'cause that means we'll have a better chance to win.  Go Warriors!

Losing 71 is an extremely tough blow for the Warriors. People always point to the 2011-12 offensive line as to a major reason those state titles were won. At the onset of the season, I think CAK had 4 offensive linemen (71, 55, 75 and 70) who are better than the two underclassmen linemen who started on those teams. Losing 2 of those players to knee injuries has been as bad a blow as this team could endure, short of losing the QB.

I had to think about it, but those state championship teams lines weren't great Charlie knew how to avoid the pressure. And they had two good Oline so your pretty accurate about that! Would wider splits help or hurt this week? I guess if they are Bull rushing every time they could go around those slow young feet. Its Oblivious we have a young Inexperienced Oline verse a top three Dline in the state, but you never know. Just not looking good, Qb better keep his head on a swivel. 

Do you recall that the OL Charlie played behind allowed less than 10 sacks a year in about 450 pass attempts per year (15 games per season, including two games each year against Alcoa)?  It takes more than just a QB who knew how to avoid pressure to achieve that kind of ratio. ;)

If you know Charlie, ask him sometime what he thinks about the OL he had.

I had to think about it, but those state championship teams lines weren't great Charlie knew how to avoid the pressure. And they had two good Oline so your pretty accurate about that! Would wider splits help or hurt this week? I guess if they are Bull rushing every time they could go around those slow young feet. Its Oblivious we have a young Inexperienced Oline verse a top three Dline in the state, but you never know. Just not looking good, Qb better keep his head on a swivel. 

With all due respect, I can't fully agree with your comparison of this year's players with players on the 2011-12 OL unit. In my humble opinion, I think you're at most only about half right in your analysis on that issue. I won't say which half I disagree with as I try to avoid causing hurt feelings among family and friends of current players or past players (and I assume you do too). And by saying you are half right, I am being intentionally vague as to whether I'm referring to the 2011-12 underclassmen or one or more of the current players you listed, or maybe I'm referring to a little of both. I do agree that this year's OL looked to be very strong, and certainly the strongest as a collective unit, since 2012 (before all the injuries).

You're right Warriors2011, I would never look to cause hurt feelings from any of the Warrior faithful or parents but I stand by my statement and echo gunslinger's. 63, 72, and 52 were top notch high school offensive linemen. I would replace the remaining 2 with any of the 4 I previously mentioned. You can never take away what the 11/12 team accomplished, and I'm thankful to have been able to watch them play.

Do you recall that the OL Charlie played behind allowed less than 10 sacks a year in about 450 pass attempts per year (15 games per season, including two games each year against Alcoa)?  It takes more than just a QB who knew how to avoid pressure to achieve that kind of ratio. ;)

They blocked I know, didn't mean to sound like they were a train wreck but the other guys weren't 250-280 that the tackles were? he had many times and plays were he had three plus seconds to setup and find openings. Cole does as well unless he's playing an Alcoa.

Wonder if it would help to put Pope in at :ugeek:  the blindside for this game?