private vs public in football final

Indian

It is without a doubt that private schools have advantages, but lets not forget our advantages over them.  Privates are like men with out a country.  A temporary home inside another's land.  Our advantage is community, a private school has no real sense of community.  After school or the game they go to their separate homes or communities until the next day. In a small public school we go to school and play besides the same blood that our grandaddys went to school and played with.  There is nothing like the bond of true community.  I feel sorry for those privates that win the gold ball because they will never know what it is like to win as an entire community.  Heck even losing big games as a true community is preferable to winning as strangers wearing the same color.  

It is without a doubt that private schools have advantages, but lets not forget our advantages over them.  Privates are like men with out a country.  A temporary home inside another's land.  Our advantage is community, a private school has no real sense of community.  After school or the game they go to their separate homes or communities until the next day. In a small public school we go to school and play besides the same blood that our grandaddys went to school and played with.  There is nothing like the bond of true community.  I feel sorry for those privates that win the gold ball because they will never know what it is like to win as an entire community.  Heck even losing big games as a true community is preferable to winning as strangers wearing the same color.  

Not close to the same thing. If I wasn't just a footbaLl fanatic I wouldn't even watch this game thats played here in a few. St George and WHO

Not close to the same thing. If I wasn't just a footbaLl fanatic I wouldn't even watch this game thats played here in a few. St George and WHO

I aint real fond neither, but just like we weren't none to fond of the Germans in WWII we had a party for the ages after whoopin them. One of the finest moments in MC football history, heck MC history was beating Brentwood Academy.  It don't happen often but some of our folks are still drinking to that one.

No need to feel sorry for private school students. Let us not forget that we all send our kids to school to get an education - whether or not they win a gold ball or not. We made the decision to send ours to a private school and make the financial sacrifice in an effort to gain a quality and moral educational experience for our kids. Playing football (or any sport for that matter) is merely a by-product. I'm not quite sure neighborhood schools actually exist anymore, especially in the era of No Child Left Behind and the introduction of magnet schools. I would have loved to have sent my son to my Alma-mater....but let's just say the neighborhood has really changed since my time in school.  I believe in what public schools do for our kids.....but it is sad to see how little family and community support exists for the local football programs in our county. I do admire the sense of community and pride displayed in the small town and rural county football programs though. Seems to be a tremendous amount of animosity with many of the posters on Coach T regarding private schools competing against public schools in blended districts/regions. Seems the best thing to do is create a complete split...even though the private schools are as much a part of the community as the their neighboring public schools. 

I'm not quite sure neighborhood schools actually exist anymore, especially in the era of No Child Left Behind and the introduction of magnet schools. I would have loved to have sent my son to my Alma-mater....but let's just say the neighborhood has really changed since my time in school.

you're right, in most of the suburban and definitely the urban areas their is very little left of the the community or neighborhood.  I have no beef with private schools but I am partial to the small town community and not because of athletics, but because it is where God lives.

• Upvote 1

No need to feel sorry for private school students. Let us not forget that we all send our kids to school to get an education - whether or not they win a gold ball or not. We made the decision to send ours to a private school and make the financial sacrifice in an effort to gain a quality and moral educational experience for our kids. Playing football (or any sport for that matter) is merely a by-product. I'm not quite sure neighborhood schools actually exist anymore, especially in the era of No Child Left Behind and the introduction of magnet schools. I would have loved to have sent my son to my Alma-mater....but let's just say the neighborhood has really changed since my time in school.  I believe in what public schools do for our kids.....but it is sad to see how little family and community support exists for the local football programs in our county. I do admire the sense of community and pride displayed in the small town and rural county football programs though. Seems to be a tremendous amount of animosity with many of the posters on Coach T regarding private schools competing against public schools in blended districts/regions. Seems the best thing to do is create a complete split...even though the private schools are as much a part of the community as the their neighboring public schools. 

You make some great points.Most of the really successful teams have several transfers every year. The good teams get um and the not so good teams lose um. Its really just the small  Rural teams that play with the kids who grew up there. Private schools are really just a separation of the sheep and goats. Most are not as talented but they are smart hard working kids from  parents who puts their kids 1st. I'd bet my best hound that every single team in the Championships this week has a few standout transfers.

Edited by pujo

You make some great points.Most of the really successful teams have several transfers every year. The good teams get um and the not so good teams lose um. Its really just the small  Rural teams that play with the kids who grew up there. Private schools are really just a separation of the sheep and goats. Most are not as talented but they are smart hard working kids from  parents who puts their kids 1st. I'd bet my best hound that every single team in the Championships this week has a few standout transfers.

This is exactly right, the fact is that all programs recruit or derecuit. Good programs draw players and bad ones drive them away. Rural school have less opportunity to recruit because of lower population.

Edited by rikberry

I have always thought that you made a lot of sense over the years as well, are you an old hillbilly moonshiner too?  

Brought a chuckle and you nailed me spot on. Most people that lived life the way I did is either dead, prison ,or on skid row. For whatever reason .I've really been BLESSED.

I have always thought that you made a lot of sense over the years as well, are you an old hillbilly moonshiner too?  

We always just called it White Liquor. Way over rated in my opinion. Been so sick I thought I was gonna die a few times. I'd throw up just  smelling the stuff nowadays.

We always just called it White Liquor. Way over rated in my opinion. Been so sick I thought I was gonna die a few times. I'd throw up just  smelling the stuff nowadays.

I'm too old for much of the old man myself. I will admit it aint Dom Perignon but it is cheaper, and that is the way we had to go.  

Edited by rikberry