private vs public in football final

Indian

Why increase the multiplier? It's the highest in the nation now. It is completely useless because of the raw vs multiplier rule. If folks want the multiplier to actually do something then wherever the multiplied enrollment puts you then play there. As it stands now if your enrollment is near the upper limit of a classification the multiplier will probably put you 2 classes higher in enrollment but the TSSAA has a rule stating your multiplied enrollment can only put you 1 class above your raw numbers. There are a bunch of 2A private schools that have multiplied enrollment for 3A but raw numbers are 1A. The huge multiplier means nothing. Essentially the multiplier rule in Tennessee is if you're a private school is you can stay in the same classification or maybe move up a classification. Look at NCS for example, they're still 1A, I'm sure there are plenty but they're easy to know what classification they're in right now.

Its the PTM Crow. That one was done with smoke and mirrors. No one really wanted it anyway,It was just the best choice they gave us.

Why increase the multiplier? It's the highest in the nation now. It is completely useless because of the raw vs multiplier rule. If folks want the multiplier to actually do something then wherever the multiplied enrollment puts you then play there. As it stands now if your enrollment is near the upper limit of a classification the multiplier will probably put you 2 classes higher in enrollment but the TSSAA has a rule stating your multiplied enrollment can only put you 1 class above your raw numbers. There are a bunch of 2A private schools that have multiplied enrollment for 3A but raw numbers are 1A. The huge multiplier means nothing. Essentially the multiplier rule in Tennessee is if you're a private school is you can stay in the same classification or maybe move up a classification. Look at NCS for example, they're still 1A, I'm sure there are plenty but they're easy to know what classification they're in right now.

I think you are right.  I would like to take a look at the actual numbers to compare the privates and publics and see if it would need adjustings (and I'm talking decimals).  The current multiplier seems to do a good job at placing them in the appropriate class.  I just think we are too hung up on enrollment figures across the state though when it comes to classification and restrict ourselves to much.  I've posted this before, but for instance, the average power rating between 1A and 2A right now is about 4 points difference.  If I take the top 10 from each of those classes then the top of 1A actually has a higher power rating than the top 10 from 2A.  The differences in the classes are not as great as everyone claims they are (keep in mind I'm talking from class to the next class and not 1A to 6A for example). 

We can be a little more flex on enrollment numbers and even out the regions and the classifications though for sure.

I think you are right.  I would like to take a look at the actual numbers to compare the privates and publics and see if it would need adjustings (and I'm talking decimals).  The current multiplier seems to do a good job at placing them in the appropriate class.  I just think we are too hung up on enrollment figures across the state though when it comes to classification and restrict ourselves to much.  I've posted this before, but for instance, the average power rating between 1A and 2A right now is about 4 points difference.  If I take the top 10 from each of those classes then the top of 1A actually has a higher power rating than the top 10 from 2A.  The differences in the classes are not as great as everyone claims they are (keep in mind I'm talking from class to the next class and not 1A to 6A for example). 

We can be a little more flex on enrollment numbers and even out the regions and the classifications though for sure.

You're pretty sharp, its not about Enrollment #s, its a lot more to do with potential drawing pool. But its hard to set classifications on potential, some school's benefit greatly and others are killed by it. Urban and rural is the only way to get it close.

You're pretty sharp, its not about Enrollment #s, its a lot more to do with potential drawing pool. But its hard to set classifications on potential, some school's benefit greatly and others are killed by it. Urban and rural is the only way to get it close.

Yep, I thought about it more since you and I last talked about it and you would have to have a true split of publics and privates to accomplish a study like that fairly.  I am not sure that I am in favor of a true split either though.  But, if it were to happen then one could look at total population of the public school's district and add a "multiplier" (for lack of a better term) to account for the drawing pools.

Yep, I thought about it more since you and I last talked about it and you would have to have a true split of publics and privates to accomplish a study like that fairly.  I am not sure that I am in favor of a true split either though.  But, if it were to happen then one could look at total population of the public school's district and add a "multiplier" (for lack of a better term) to account for the drawing pools.

We need a petition to hire you at the TSSAA. But my guess is they see the junk themselves but Money prevents them from trying to do things the right way. School's should have to compete against somewhat like opponents. I'm sure they could group them together fairly evenly.

We need a petition to hire you at the TSSAA. But my guess is they see the junk themselves but Money prevents them from trying to do things the right way. School's should have to compete against somewhat like opponents. I'm sure they could group them together fairly evenly.

I'm not aware of school budgets, but the other benefit to evening out the regions and the classifications is that they can play 3 to 4 out of region games per year.  I would love to see more games played across the state from East vs. Middle, Middle vs. West, and West vs. East.  The average bus holds 60 gallons of gas and gets 8-9 mpg (might be higher mpg's on the interstate), but that would mean that it would take about $200 to ship 1 bus of kids across the state and back (and that's from Johnson City to Memphis).  Surely, there is enough in the budgets to afford that once or twice per year, especially if we weighted reclassification based off of location with some flexibility on enrollment.  Maybe it's not in the budgets, I don't know, but it would be awesome to see in my opinion.   

I'm not aware of school budgets, but the other benefit to evening out the regions and the classifications is that they can play 3 to 4 out of region games per year.  I would love to see more games played across the state from East vs. Middle, Middle vs. West, and West vs. East.  The average bus holds 60 gallons of gas and gets 8-9 mpg (might be higher mpg's on the interstate), but that would mean that it would take about $200 to ship 1 bus of kids across the state and back (and that's from Johnson City to Memphis).  Surely, there is enough in the budgets to afford that once or twice per year, especially if we weighted reclassification based off of location with some flexibility on enrollment.  Maybe it's not in the budgets, I don't know, but it would be awesome to see in my opinion.   

Hampton sold 3000 tickets the last game, thats 24'000 dollars, The football program made enough money to buy 4 new helmets. I'm sure that's not the norm at a lot of school's.Takes a bunch of money to field a football team. And people wonder why we play natural rivals as our out of region games.

Hampton sold 3000 tickets the last game, thats 24'000 dollars, The football program made enough money to buy 4 new helmets. I'm sure that's not the norm at a lot of school's.Takes a bunch of money to field a football team. And people wonder why we play natural rivals as our out of region games.

Those 4 helmets are going to look oh so sweet though!  lol

It is definitely pricey, that is just something on my wishlist that I know would help make the ratings more accurate due to better connectivity across the state.  I'm being selfish!

Those 4 helmets are going to look oh so sweet though!  lol

It is definitely pricey, that is just something on my wishlist that I know would help make the ratings more accurate due to better connectivity across the state.  I'm being selfish!

I do know that Carter Co is one of if not the poorest counties in the State. Elizabethton is the only City school and they do pretty well.  The County school's are really limited.