The Haven 2016

kwc

There was a time when you said Memphis and one immediately thought of Germantown. Then it changed to Melrose. Now Whitehaven has taken over that role. I have heard good things about the area from a family member. It has changed and I think that those associated with the high school have helped tremendously.

GWAVE1:

I can understand where you are coming from. I've never considered the vantage point from afar, with afar being outside of Memphis. However, I can relate to the Germantown and Melrose POVs. However, as a Memphian who is a lover of high school football, I would be remiss if I didn't highlight some other football programs from our fair city that are also making a name for themselves.

2A, Trezevant High School, is one of those football programs. In the past six (6) years they have played in 3 different championship games. Two (2) in 4A and one (1) in 2A. They have played in four (4) semi-final games in that stretch. They have played in a state championship game the past 2 years in a row; in the 4A championship game in 2014 and in the 2A championship game in 2015. They are currently the favorite to repeat in 2A this year. In the past six years from 2010 through 2015 they have collected two (2) silver balls and one (1) gold ball. Let me emphasize something, imo ... it is MUCH harder to do what they are doing. To sustain such excellence under the conditions to which they must compete is astounding. Yes .. coach Saulsberry has Whitehaven poised to do great things ... but so has coach Telli White at Trezevant. It takes a Man of Valor to do the types of things these men are doing.

I just wanted to give props where props are due. 

Edited by kwc

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We have a nicely placed bye week. The only games that should give us trouble in the area are Ridgeway (I assume that they have some talent coming back) and White Station due to the rivalry factor... I would like to take the trip to Florence but we'll see how things shake out with that. Injuries, if kept to a minimum, should allow us to go into the Playoffs with 1 or less Ls. The upcoming MUS scrimmage will tell the tale of how good we can be, imho. 

Well, since the East scrimmage was rained out (it was a lot of lightning in that storm) it's a good thing we have the MUS scrimmage coming up this Friday.

BHS, I couldn't make it to the scrimmage yesterday. However, I've talked to someone who was there. Did you make it to the scrimmage yesterday?

I got there late. I missed an hour of it so I can't really speak on what I saw. The defense was striking from what I saw. I think I missed all of the front line offensive guys. 

I can say this... We got some big kids again. Geez. I'll be out there Friday for the MUS scrimmage. That one will tell us how good we'll be early.

OAN: Where are the other Big Memphis/Shelby Metro High School football fans at? I think the Arlington, Ridgeway, White Station, Kirby, etc guys out here LURKING... Quit reading trying to get bulletin board material and join the ISH talking fray... No matter how much bulletin board material you get you still have to have better players to beat Whitehaven... Most of these teams DON'T have better players.

BTW, The little bit that I saw, Memphis East looked shakey on the O-Line

Edited by BlackHavenSenator

I got there late. I missed an hour of it so I can't really speak on what I saw. The defense was striking from what I saw. I think I missed all of the front line offensive guys. 

I can say this... We got some big kids again. Geez. I'll be out there Friday for the MUS scrimmage. That one will tell us how good we'll be early.

OAN: Where are the other Big Memphis/Shelby Metro High School football fans at? I think the Arlington, Ridgeway, White Station, Kirby, etc guys out here LURKING... Quit reading trying to get bulletin board material and join the ISH talking fray... No matter how much bulletin board material you get you still have to have better players to beat Whitehaven... Most of these teams DON'T have better players.

BTW, The little bit that I saw, Memphis East looked shakey on the O-Line

I heard that our O-line is working out some kinks.  I was told that big TW played on the OL a lot. From what I was told we didn't run the ball effectively like we would have liked. However, East's DL had a lot to do with that. I was told that East's DL is pretty stout ... as usual.  But, that's what we've grown to expect from East ... a bunch of rough riders. We scored on two different pass plays. One was a fade to CJ. The other was MJ catching a pass and making the DB miss the tackle, and then taking it to the house for about 60 yards. 

The defense looked good. Tyler Red (Doc Hunter's son) played a lot of NG. I'm hearing a lot of good things about Tyler ... he's got that grinder's mentality. Shabar at one DT slot and a new guy at the other who is similar in style to Shabar.  J'Len at one DE position and Robinson at the other. Thacker and Aubrey all over the field at the LB positions. 

Hey BHS......got a questions for you. I was out and about yesterday mostly kicking rocks and talking to my two brothers, Opie Taylor and Opie Taylor, and was curious if you would comment on what the Haven has for the Red Dragon this season? Care to break it down for us Clowns?