The Haven 2016

kwc

With all due respect to KWC and BHS's opinion of who lost the game for Whitehaven, both Arlington's defense (when they held the Tigers to no points) and offense (driving the length of the field in sub 2:00) did what winners do...they accomplished the task at hand when it mattered. Every game has a winner and a loser, but that doesn't have to mean that someone lost (failed) the game. Two very good teams used up the clock in deciding the victor, and Arlington got the job done when the time dictated that they had no more chances coming.

tradertwo:

To BHS's point: Whitehaven drove the field eating 6 minutes off of the clock to get the ball to the 10 yard line. To be a championship type of a team ... you score in those moments. We found ourselves in the same predicament in the semi-final game when playing against Ravenwood. It wasn't the last two minutes of the game but we had the ball inside of the 10 yard line, on the 6 if memory serves me correctly, and came away with 0 points at that time also. Whitehaven strives to be a champion. Championship teams score in those situations. We didn't.

It's something for Whitehaven to work on. If you want to be a champion, you score when presented with those type of opportunities.

Please understand where I am coming from ... Whitehaven won 12 games last year. We've played in the semi-finals two years in a row. Thirteen young men signed scholarships to play football in college off of last year's team.

We had a phenomenal season. I enjoyed the ride and I am excited about the up and coming season!

However, I think it's a good thing when everyone associated with the program expects greatness. I think that is where every programs strives to be. Whitehaven thinks we have the ability to win every game we play. Whitehaven has become a program that legitimately thinks that we have the ability to win a championship every year. The fan base has very high expectations. It's championship or bust. It comes with winning in the manner to which we have won in recent history. We are spoiled like that. So as fans and alum ... BHS, myself, and others talk with that mindset. We don't win them all but we are confident that we are capable. So when we don't ... we fuss and pontificate on why we think we didn't win. Yes ... Arlington played a good game and did what winners do. Whitehaven fans are just looking at what we feel like we needed to have done in order to have been the victors in that game. Whitehaven definitely had our opportunities to win it. 

Edited by kwc

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

tradertwo:

To BHS's point: Whitehaven drove the field eating 6 minutes off of the clock to get the ball to the 10 yard line. To be a championship type of a team ... you score in those moments. We found ourselves in the same predicament in the semi-final game when playing against Ravenwood. It wasn't the last two minutes of the game but we had the ball inside of the 10 yard line, on the 6 if memory serves me correctly, and came away with 0 points at that time also. Whitehaven strives to be a champion. Championship teams score in those situations. We didn't.

It's something for Whitehaven to work on. If you want to be a champion, you score when presented with those type of opportunities.

Please understand where I am coming from ... Whitehaven won 12 games last year. We've played in the semi-finals two years in a row. Thirteen young men signed scholarships to play football in college off of last year's team.

We had a phenomenal season. I enjoyed the ride and I am excited about the up and coming season!

However, I think it's a good thing when everyone associated with the program expects greatness. I think that is where every programs strives to be. Whitehaven thinks we have the ability to win every game we play. Whitehaven has become a program that legitimately thinks that we have the ability to win a championship every year. The fan base has very high expectations. It's championship or bust. It comes with winning in the manner to which we have won in recent history. We are spoiled like that. So as fans and alum ... BHS, myself, and others talk with that mindset. We don't win them all but we are confident that we are capable. So when we don't ... we fuss and pontificate on why we think we didn't win. Yes ... Arlington played a good game and did what winners do. Whitehaven fans are just looking at what we feel like we needed to have done in order to have been the victors in that game. Whitehaven definitely had our opportunities to win it.

There was a time when you said Memphis and one immediately thought of Germantown. Then it changed to Melrose. Now Whitehaven has taken over that role. I have heard good things about the area from a family member. It has changed and I think that those associated with the high school have helped tremendously.

tradertwo:

However, I think it's a good thing when everyone associated with the program expects greatness. I think that is where every programs strives to be. Whitehaven thinks we have the ability to win every game we play. Whitehaven has become a program that legitimately thinks that we have the ability to win a championship every year. The fan base has very high expectations. It's championship or bust. It comes with winning in the manner to which we have won in recent history. We are spoiled like that. So as fans and alum ... BHS, myself, and others talk with that mindset. We don't win them all but we are confident that we are capable. So when we don't ... we fuss and pontificate on why we think we didn't win. Yes ... Arlington played a good game and did what winners do. Whitehaven fans are just looking at what we feel like we needed to have done in order to have been the victors in that game. Whitehaven definitely had our opportunities to win it. 

I agree completely! That mindset is how top tier teams stay relevant, rather than "cycle" good and not so good years...just was reminding you that Arlington fans could take the stance that their defense and offense were successful rather than Whitehaven's "failed".

I agree completely! That mindset is how top tier teams stay relevant, rather than "cycle" good and not so good years...just was reminding you that Arlington fans could take the stance that their defense and offense were successful rather than Whitehaven's "failed".

Of course they could. They would have every right to take that viewpoint. Andrew Jackson said it best ... "To the victor goes the spoils". 

According to the schedule I've seen, we scrimmage against East next Friday at 5:00 PM at Whitehaven Memorial Stadium. I hope the heat index stays below the allowable levels in order for that to manifest. Whew! ... it's hot outside!

BHS ... are you going to be at the scrimmage this Friday?

I'll be there! It is July 29th?

Yeah, according to the schedules I've seen. I plan on being there myself. Unfortunately I won't be at the scrimmage next week at MUS, which is scheduled  for Aug. 5th.

Edited by kwc