The Haven 2016

kwc

We need to put up BIG numbers against Arlington and Cordova!

Well putting up big numbers would be nice, but I'm more concerned with shutting down opposing offenses. With the defense we have I want to see us holding down teams to one TD or less. I don't think putting points on the board will be an issue.

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We have a nicely placed bye week. The only games that should give us trouble in the area are Ridgeway (I assume that they have some talent coming back) and White Station due to the rivalry factor... I would like to take the trip to Florence but we'll see how things shake out with that. Injuries, if kept to a minimum, should allow us to go into the Playoffs with 1 or less Ls. The upcoming MUS scrimmage will tell the tale of how good we can be, imho.

Ridgeway will be competitive. I agree that the two up and coming scrimmages will be revealing. I hope that I will be able to attend the East scrimmage as well as the MUS scrimmage. East is going to be loaded as well.

Well putting up big numbers would be nice, but I'm more concerned with shutting down opposing offenses. With the defense we have I want to see us holding down teams to one TD or less. I don't think putting points on the board will be an issue.

Putting points on the board has always been the issue... Ravenwood shut us out in the 2nd Half of the Semifinal. The first Maryville game we didn't score an offensiveTD... When we lost to Smyrna a few years back we scored 7 WHOLE points for the game.

I only mentioned putting up big numbers against those teams because of the real disrespect Cordova's team and staff gave and because Arlington stole that win at the Whiten House last season. They promptly FELL OFF after that which is even more reason we should really go for the jugular out in Arlington this season.

Putting points on the board has always been the issue... Ravenwood shut us out in the 2nd Half of the Semifinal. The first Maryville game we didn't score an offensiveTD... When we lost to Smyrna a few years back we scored 7 WHOLE points for the game.

I only mentioned putting up big numbers against those teams because of the real disrespect Cordova's team and staff gave and because Arlington stole that win at the Whiten House last season. They promptly FELL OFF after that which is even more reason we should really go for the jugular out in Arlington this season.

Those three teams you mentioned all had stellar defenses. My hat is off to each of them. That's how all three of those teams beat us and either made it to the championship game or that's how they won it. I am in agreement though that we are going to have to score when facing those teams with really aggressive defenses. That being said ... We have playmakers all over the field. They are just going to have to make the plays in those instances when we are facing a stellar defense.

I understand where you are coming from in regards to Arlington and Cordova. This year we travel to both. Arlington will no doubt be hyped for the game, but no more then our guys will be. I'm actually concerned that our guys could go into that game too hyped up just because Arlington came into our house last year and beat us. Again ... I think we score points. Do we however, stop their passing attack that will be led by a three (3) year starting QB in Mr. Kolwasky (?). (I don't know if I spelled his name correctly or not) I remember him running for his life, scrambling to his left and throwing the ball, accurately, I might add, back across his body, on more then one occasion, completing passes that were over twenty yards, on a drive that beat us with less then 2 minutes to play. He broke containment more times then I care to remember ... but more importantly ... those particular passes that he completed had a difficulty rating of 10. You don't coach a young man to throw passes like that because throwing across your body in that fashion, in a lot of instances, will result in an interception.

He nailed those throws.

I know those seniors and juniors playing for Whitehaven will remember that. The defense in that game let us down more so then the offense.

Cordova talked trashed and fueled our fire. I have no doubt that coach Jones will have those Wolves ready. That game will be stellar.

That game the 'D' stepped up to the plate with four(4) INTs. I'd love to have our D show up again this year and show out!

Those three teams you mentioned all had stellar defenses. My hat is off to each of them. That's how all three of those teams beat us and either made it to the championship game or that's how they won it. I am in agreement though that we are going to have to score when facing those teams with really aggressive defenses. That being said ... We have playmakers all over the field. They are just going to have to make the plays in those instances when we are facing a stellar defense.

I understand where you are coming from in regards to Arlington and Cordova. This year we travel to both. Arlington will no doubt be hyped for the game, but no more then our guys will be. I'm actually concerned that our guys could go into that game too hyped up just because Arlington came into our house last year and beat us. Again ... I think we score points. Do we however, stop their passing attack that will be led by a three (3) year starting QB in Mr. Kolwasky (?). (I don't know if I spelled his name correctly or not) I remember him running for his life, scrambling to his left and throwing the ball, accurately, I might add, back across his body, on more then one occasion, completing passes that were over twenty yards, on a drive that beat us with less then 2 minutes to play. He broke containment more times then I care to remember ... but more importantly ... those particular passes that he completed had a difficulty rating of 10. You don't coach a young man to throw passes like that because throwing across your body in that fashion, in a lot of instances, will result in an interception.

He nailed those throws.

I know those seniors and juniors playing for Whitehaven will remember that. The defense in that game let us down more so then the offense.

Cordova talked trashed and fueled our fire. I have no doubt that coach Jones will have those Wolves ready. That game will be stellar.

That game the 'D' stepped up to the plate with four(4) INTs. I'd love to have our D show up again this year and show out!

"The defense in that game let us down more so then the offense."

I want to directly respond to this comment... On our last offensive possession while we were up we got the ball within the red zone, maybe even down within the Goalline area and ended up getting NO Points. Had we scored a TD we would put the game out of reach... Suspect play calling, to most that were in my area, felt as if that's why we didn't score. Yes the defense was scored on however as you stated their QB made some Arron Rodgers-esque plays. The O should have won it so the D didn't have a chance to lose it. My perspective, with all due respect.  

Edited by BlackHavenSenator

"The defense in that game let us down more so then the offense."

I want to directly respond to this comment... On our last offensive possession while we were up we got the ball within the red zone, maybe even down within the Goalline area and ended up getting NO Points. Had we scored a TD we would put the game out of reach... Suspect play calling, to most that were in my area, felt as if that's why we didn't score. Yes the defense was scored on however as you stated their QB made some Arron Rodgers-esque plays. The O should have won it so the D didn't have a chance to lose it. My perspective, with all due respect.  

I see and understand your perspective. It seems to me that both the offense and the defense in that game didn't accomplish the goals before them. I'm more incline to want to ensure that our defense will rise to the occasion when called upon. I am of the mind that there will always be a time when an offense will come up short, and the defense will have to save the day. Arlington executed the two-minute drill to perfection. They marched the length of the field to score. The offense didn't score, but they left Arlington with the ball having to drive the entire field. Arlington did just that. It didn't help us that the defense had some untimely penalties to give that drive second and third chances as well. One could throw the blame at the offenses feet, but in my eyes, the defense is suppose to stop a team from driving the length of the field and score in less then two (2) minutes. That is not suppose to happen. Arlington HAD to score a TD ... not a field goal.

But however you look at it ... both came up short.

Edited by kwc

We need to put up BIG numbers against Arlington and Cordova!

Speaking on Arlington ... their first game of the season is against Kirby. Kirby has a new HC this year who goes by the name of Chester Flowers. It's a game that I am going to keep my eye on.

With all due respect to KWC and BHS's opinion of who lost the game for Whitehaven, both Arlington's defense (when they held the Tigers to no points) and offense (driving the length of the field in sub 2:00) did what winners do...they accomplished the task at hand when it mattered. Every game has a winner and a loser, but that doesn't have to mean that someone lost (failed) the game. Two very good teams used up the clock in deciding the victor, and Arlington got the job done when the time dictated that they had no more chances coming.

With all due respect to KWC and BHS's opinion of who lost the game for Whitehaven, both Arlington's defense (when they held the Tigers to no points) and offense (driving the length of the field in sub 2:00) did what winners do...they accomplished the task at hand when it mattered. Every game has a winner and a loser, but that doesn't have to mean that someone lost (failed) the game. Two very good teams used up the clock in deciding the victor, and Arlington got the job done when the time dictated that they had no more chances coming.

Had Arlington not had a let down after that game I'd have to give them more credit, however from this side of the coin I saw the lack of offensive execution doom us.