Pitching Distance

Sidetrain

I was reading in Fastpitch Delivery that at the 2002 NFCA Convention that their is a motion that high schools and travel ball programs to move the pitching distance to 43 feet because of college distance is and it would help college coaches to evaluate pitchers. They want to move both because of the hardship in moving back and forth between high school and travel ball seasons. How do you feel about this and will TSSAA even think about it.

[Edited by Sidetrain on 11-16-02 8:28A]

This proposal has been kicked around for several years. I don't know what NFCA would have to do with it, other than possibly lobbying, since they are a coach's association. The change would have to come from ASA, NSA, TSSAA, etc. It was presented last week at the ASA Council and was defeated. One of the primary reasons is that ASA must remain consistent with the ISF (International Softball Federation) which is still at 40 feet.

I think it would be a terrible proposal for high school. While it might make the few dominating pitchers a little less dominating, I believe it would have an even greater effect on the many pitchers who are not so dominating. (I fear that many games would closely resemble slow pitch games.) Another problem is that high schools often have pitchers as young as the eighth grade. (The ASA proposal would have applied only to 18U A and Gold.) I don't think there is any chance TSSAA will make that change unless ASA eventually does, and even then I would be very surprised.

I wish they would move it back to make it safer. Some pitcher is going to be seriously hurt with the bats so hot these days and the hitters getting bigger and strong. I saw more pitchers nailed the last two years than the previous five years combined. There is really no good reason not to move it back, but safety is one great reason to do it. Which means, of course, the TSSAA will crackdown on the scrunchies again this year.

STD---I could live with that too. It is getting frightening seeing some of the shots hit back at these girls. I saw a Tullahoma pitcher nailed partly in the jaw and partly in the neck two years ago by a vicious line drive. She fell like she was shot and was out cold. She never had a chance to deflect it. If it had hit her between the eyes, I truly believe it would have killed her. Pitchers seem to be taking more and more shots. I don't think de-compressing would hurt the game that much. There aren't a lot of homers hit in high school anyway (although there are more each year it seems) and it could take some of the risk out for pitchers.

By the way, I know I don't have to ask, but how are you guys going to be this year? Just another re-load, huh....lol?

We lost one starter but have a couple of new girls that will step right up. Pieroni may be the best pitcher I've seen at this age (sophmore). The website spysoftball.com has a thread or two from the ASA national convention that discusses some of the ball changes they are looking at you might check that out.

We com to Coffee County this year for their tournament and then for a regular season game I'm not sure of the date but if you get a chance to come I'm the skinny coach. that's one of the best places I've ever been for a high school game.

It is a super place. Coach Breeden and his kids and parents have worked and still work very hard on it. Can't tell you how many times I've seen the kids down on their knees pulling grass. They really, really love it too..lol

I'll make every effort to be there when you come. I'm eager to see your pitcher. Didn't catch her this summer and I went down for the games when you were in Manchester last year but the way it worked out, I saw them play Brentwood Academy but not you guys. I hear she's special. It would be fun to see the two sophs, Catalano and Pieroni, hook up. Take care.