State Tournament Day 1

Bump11

no where near what the concussion numbers are for football and soccer, I wrestled and never had these pitiful rules, I also wrestled freestyle which makes folkstyle like this look like childs play. Concussion protocol takes 15-20 minutes I have been through them before. if passed you go on, no need to have CT or MRI for this. If that's the case and he won because he could not continue then he should be made to have CT and MRI at that time and not allowed to wrestle the reminder of the tournament, I mean this is because of the seriousness of concussions and wrestler safety not to place in a tournament.

of course you can look at different stats for that. one I found had mens wrestling tops in college sports or concussions, but I show per another out of 100,000 a rate of 22 per for wrestling, soccer was at 19 so was lower, but football was at 58 per. of course its also shown that females suffer greater risk of concussion than males, with womens soccer top over all sports compared to male soccer so when averaged they are below wrestling.

Something I have not seen posted yet.

I have seen kids that cannot continue to wrestle due to a controversial illegal slam call, willing to shake hands and forfeit to the offensive wrestler. 

Obviously, this is only when the slammed wrestler feels the offensive wrestlers intention was not injury but occurred out of the natural aggression of wrestling. Many wrestlers have a hard time admitting they got slammed, thus would rather lose than admit they won by these means. This is usually the moral high road and not seen much lately. Unfortunately, I think the rule must stand, the wrestling community needs to do better job of policing and taking care of itself.   

Another point of interest that was addressed is the ability to continue. How many injuries sustained on the mat  cannot be alleviated in the recovery time, could be overcome in the next 45 minutes or day?

For example, a wrist used for support during an illegal slam? That wrist will not be unbroken in 45 min or the next morning. So what is the point in taking a win just to gimp into the next match or taking the win to just forfeit the next match?

I was not present and did not witness this illegal slam but I do wish injured wrestler a safe recovery and my heart goes out to Russo.

• Upvote 1