Maryville upset in district semi's

tnchad1980

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When an official decides the outcome of a game its never a good thing. :popcorneater:

Heritage vs. Maryville was a great game ( and pretty well officiated) for 31:59 but the final 1 second may go down in infamy in the annals of TSSAA basketball officiating. I know it may sound impossible but I counted five questionable calls or downright blunders made in the final 1 second of the game:

1) Foul call on Maryville under their own basket with 1 second left after Heritage had secured the rebound of a missed Maryville shot in a 60-60 game. Still can't believe that foul was called. Game should have instead gone to OT and none of the following four things would have happened.

2) After Heritage hit the two free throws to go up 62-60, one of Maryville's players clearly asked and was initially granted a timeout by one of the officials under the basket. However, another official quickly came in from half court and said no timeout. Maryville had no timeouts left- should have been a technical foul on Maryville.

3) Maryville throws the ball the length of the court, ball is deflected by Heritage, picked up by a Maryville player, and then a desperation heave made at basket. I didn't put a stopwatch on it but there is no way that shot attempt got off in time.

4) Phantom foul call on Heritage on the "shot" attempt by Maryville- it was more like a throw than a shot- that had zero chance at going in and didn't even get off in time. IMO, classic make up call by same official who called the foul on Maryville with 1 second left.

5) Since a shooting foul was called on Heritage, Maryville should have been awarded three shots because shooter was at least a foot behind the three point line when he threw the ball at the basket. Official only gave Maryville two shots with no time left on clock and he made one of two, game over.

Heritage vs. Maryville was a great game ( and pretty well officiated) for 31:59 but the final 1 second may go down in infamy in the annals of TSSAA basketball officiating. I know it may sound impossible but I counted five questionable calls or downright blunders made in the final 1 second of the game:

1) Foul call on Maryville under their own basket with 1 second left after Heritage had secured the rebound of a missed Maryville shot in a 60-60 game. Still can't believe that foul was called. Game should have instead gone to OT and none of the following four things would have happened.

2) After Heritage hit the two free throws to go up 62-60, one of Maryville's players clearly asked and was initially granted a timeout by one of the officials under the basket. However, another official quickly came in from half court and said no timeout. Maryville had no timeouts left- should have been a technical foul on Maryville.

3) Maryville throws the ball the length of the court, ball is deflected by Heritage, picked up by a Maryville player, and then a desperation heave made at basket. I didn't put a stopwatch on it but there is no way that shot attempt got off in time.

4) Phantom foul call on Heritage on the "shot" attempt by Maryville- it was more like a throw than a shot- that had zero chance at going in and didn't even get off in time. IMO, classic make up call by same official who called the foul on Maryville with 1 second left.

5) Since a shooting foul was called on Heritage, Maryville should have been awarded three shots because shooter was at least a foot behind the three point line when he threw the ball at the basket. Official only gave Maryville two shots with no time left on clock and he made one of two, game over.

ND,

I wondered about #5.  Full agreement on #'s 1 - 4.  I asked those next to me in balcony area if TD was not outside of the three point line, they thought he was inside it.  I couldn't tell.  I just noticed that Coach Eldridge didn't seem to "plead" too much for a three shot foul, so I figured he must have been inside the arc.  Like you said, shouldn't have ever occurred anyway.

I was shocked on #2.  I watched the Maryville player ask for the time-out, and I saw one of the most tenured and respected officials I know simply shake his head at him and say, "you don't have any time-outs."  I thought I was seeing things. 

ND,

I wondered about #5.  Full agreement on #'s 1 - 4.  I asked those next to me in balcony area if TD was not outside of the three point line, they thought he was inside it.  I couldn't tell.  I just noticed that Coach Eldridge didn't seem to "plead" too much for a three shot foul, so I figured he must have been inside the arc.  Like you said, shouldn't have ever occurred anyway.

I was shocked on #2.  I watched the Maryville player ask for the time-out, and I saw one of the most tenured and respected officials I know simply shake his head at him and say, "you don't have any time-outs."  I thought I was seeing things. 

On # 5, I couldn't tell for sure from my seat either but I was told by someone that I know pretty well that had a much better view of it than me that TD was clearly behind the 3 point line.

Edited by Norman Dale