Middleton vs Harriman

RAINMAN11

We are a scrappy bunch and probably one of the biggest teams you'll see. We've got a girl well over six foot in Johnson that plays the post along with Franklin who is also at the 6 foot mark. Our best player is about 5' 11" and that's Madison Duncan. She's a threat inside and out and she has to be guarded everywhere on the floor. We've got another guard that's about 5' 5" in Monkhouse. She has very good handles and can hit effectively from the three point line. As of late we've been hot and played very efficient and effective basketball and it's an honor to have made it to the state tournament. We look forward to the matchup with Middleton as it should be a nice one. I hope that our size can cause issues for Middleton down the stretch. That being said, could some of you folks give some insight on Middleton and the style you play, how big you are, and key players to watch.

You'll think that you are playing on the boy's side of the bracket. Athletes at every position who can and will run if the opportunity is there, but well coached enough to set up and run effective plays. Not knowing what Harriman does best, I'd say slow the game down with token pressure while the defense sets up. Probably best if Harriman could play matchup zone to address the shooters, while sagging to protect the interior. Ball pressure to limit the PG's opportunity to make a clean entry pass would help too.  On offense you have to be patient, and treat every possession as if there are 30 seconds left and you're down by one. Rebounding, getting to the 50/50 balls, and keeping possession of the ball for extended time always equalize athletic differentials, and I expect that there will be one. No disrespect intended toward Harriman at all...just that I have been a serious girls bball fan for a looong time, and the Bradford teams of the 90's (with Street and Brown...both Miss Basketball) that won it all for three years running is the only team that I've ever seen that could come close to matching athlete for athlete with Middleton. 

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You'll think that you are playing on the boy's side of the bracket. Athletes at every position who can and will run if the opportunity is there, but well coached enough to set up and run effective plays. Not knowing what Harriman does best, I'd say slow the game down with token pressure while the defense sets up. Probably best if Harriman could play matchup zone to address the shooters, while sagging to protect the interior. Ball pressure to limit the PG's opportunity to make a clean entry pass would help too. On offense you have to be patient, and treat every possession as if there are 30 seconds left and you're down by one. Rebounding, getting to the 50/50 balls, and keeping possession of the ball for extended time always equalize athletic differentials, and I expect that there will be one. No disrespect intended toward Harriman at all...just that I have been a serious girls bball fan for a looong time, and the Bradford teams of the 90's (with Street and Brown...both Miss Basketball) that won it all for three years running is the only team that I've ever seen that could come close to matching athlete for athlete with Middleton.

No disrespect taken whatsoever. I've gotten the chance to see some film of Middleton and I'm telling you right now it's unlike anything I've seen in girls basketball. Most of the things you mentioned are things we do that could play in our favor so that makes me feel a bit better. However, in order to beat this great team we have to play our best game of the season and almost a mistake free game. From Where this program was not even 5 years ago and now where they are now, proud is an understatement that I am of them as is the whole community! Coach Jones is one of the most fine Christian men you'll ever meet and you will enjoy watching him and his Lady Devils take the floor. I know our girls are thrilled to be on the big stage but I know they have it in their minds that they want more than just a one game showing as they take the floor tomorrow! Maybe we can arrange to meet some of you Middleton folks and talk some good basketball. I've only heard of Middleton before their basketball success when we once played them in a baseball tournament back in high school. I can say that from my experience that you guys seem to have a very classy town with great support!

Middleton has two bigs in Chelsea Perry 6'0 on last years program who is a beast down low and Tyra Smith who is in the game with her at times but don't start and I would say she is a big 5'9. The Warren kid is a guard who likes to take it to the rim as well and shoot threes as does the Pledge kid. Your best bet, IMO is get it to your bigs down low and try to get them in foul trouble and on defense I would play them a sagging zone and make them beat me from outside. Their down low game is their bread and butter, but they can shoot outside as well but I would have rather them beat me from 18-20 feet rather than 2-8, JMO.

There's no question Middleton is the favorite, there's a reason they are having the massive success they are. Do we believe we can come down there and work a miracle? Absolutely, it's March Madness baby lol! On the serious note, I would not be surprised to see us throw a couple of wrinkles defensively at Middleton to hopefully keep them off balance. I in no way know this for fact, but from watching them and knowing coach Jones I would expect to see some 2-3 match up zone as well as maybe a bit of a box and 1 if the guard starts to heat up. One thing we have seemed to have success with down the stretch, thanks in large part to our size is a zone press. In close games it's been very effective in sealing up games. I agree completely with you that I would much rather have Middleton beat me from the arc rather than the easy buckets and I fully intend to see us do our best to avoid letting them get much looks down around the rim if we can help it. I think the fact that we play a slowed down pace and try to put it inside to our bigs will be a big help, but only time will tell. Win or lose I couldn't be more proud of our girls! They've put the Harriman Girls Basketball Program back on the map and they've done it the right way. We sure got a gem when we hired Coach Jones and it's shown in the improvements he's made and the success he's had in these last couple of years! Good luck to both teams and GO LADY DEVILS!!!

No disrespect taken whatsoever. I've gotten the chance to see some film of Middleton and I'm telling you right now it's unlike anything I've seen in girls basketball. Most of the things you mentioned are things we do that could play in our favor so that makes me feel a bit better. However, in order to beat this great team we have to play our best game of the season and almost a mistake free game. From Where this program was not even 5 years ago and now where they are now, proud is an understatement that I am of them as is the whole community! Coach Jones is one of the most fine Christian men you'll ever meet and you will enjoy watching him and his Lady Devils take the floor. I know our girls are thrilled to be on the big stage but I know they have it in their minds that they want more than just a one game showing as they take the floor tomorrow! Maybe we can arrange to meet some of you Middleton folks and talk some good basketball. I've only heard of Middleton before their basketball success when we once played them in a baseball tournament back in high school. I can say that from my experience that you guys seem to have a very classy town with great support!

Not from Middleton, but they're in our (Scotts Hill) district. You are right about their program though, good folks down there.