Wrestling Updates and Tidbits...

Sommers

CHS wrestling splits at Soddy Daisy

Cookeville's Ethan Cumby, right, goes for the pin against a Hixson wrestler during the Cavs 51-30 victory on Tuesday at Soddy Daisy High School.
Cookeville's Ethan Cumby, right, goes for the pin against a Hixson wrestler during the Cavs 51-30 victory on Tuesday at Soddy Daisy High School.
JUDY HADLOCK | CONTRIBUTED
 Buy this photo
  • 20171130-113831-phpzH5RjE.jpg
  • 20171130-113849-phprsjIbP.jpg
Posted Thursday, November 30, 2017

The Cookeville High School wrestling team split its two matches at Soddy Daisy High School on Tuesday as the Cavaliers beat Hixson 51-30 but fell to Soddy 54-18.

In the match with Hixson, the Cavs got pinfall victories from Derico Jimmerson in the 106-pound weight class (one minute, 39 seconds), Sammy Hadlock at 120 (2:53),  A.J. Johns at 152 (2:26), Ben Bos at 160 (3:00),  Ethan Cumby at 182 (1:51), Dyllan House at 195 (3:09), Jack Wiggins at 220 (5:09), and Devin Parker in the heavyweight class (1:28). Hunter Harcum  got the only points victory with a 3-0 finish in the 145-pound weight class. Losing by pinfall for CHS was David Weidner at 113, Skylar Lassiter at 126, Caleb Logsdon at 132, Luke Denney at 138, and Jeff Enochs at 170.

In the match against Soddy Daisy, the Cavs got a forfeit victory from Jimmerson, and Houser scored the only pinfall victory (3:54). Cookeville's two other victories came by points from Denney (5-1) and Harcum (5-2). Hadlock and Enochs lost their matches by points, and Weidner, Lassiter, Logsdon, Johns, Bos, Cumby, Whittaker, and Parker all got pinned.

Soddy going to Florida...

SOUTH WALTON, Fla (WJHG/WECP) - There's a big wrestling event set for Friday and Saturday at South Walton High School.

Coach Carey Nick and his program hosting what they call "Border Wars", call it the chance to see, heading into the high school season, who's among the elite teams in our area.

"We have 24 teams coming from all throughout the southeast," Carey Nick, South Walton wrestling coach said. "We have Louisiana to Alabama, Tennessee, Georgia and Florida. And basically it's the top teams in the states, in their rankings, coming. Out of Florida we have Wakulla and Clay, a couple of the big powerhouses in the state. Alabama, we have Daphne, Alabama. Louisiana, St. Paul. Tennessee we have Soddy Daisy coming down. And out of Georgia, it's East Coweta."

Edited by Sommers
  • Upvote 1

Cleveland Daily Banner

Start slideshow

BRADLEY CENTRAL junior DJ Gibson, left, flips Baylor's Sam Reynolds during the 195-pound match to wrap up the season opening wrestling match at Jim Smiddy Arena. Gibson won the match 5-2, but the Red Raiders claimed the dual meet by a 37-30 margin.
BRADLEY CENTRAL junior DJ Gibson, left, flips Baylor's Sam Reynolds during the 195-pound match to wrap up the season opening wrestling match at Jim Smiddy Arena. Gibson won the match 5-2, but the Red Raiders claimed the dual meet by a 37-30 margin.
BANNER PHOTO, JOE CANNON
 Buy this photo
PreviousNext
Posted Friday, December 1, 2017 10:32 am

By JOE CANNON

Despite losing eight starters, including five state medalists and four state champs off of last season’s double state title team, Bradley Central didn’t hesitate to jump right into the fire of the new wrestling season against another perennial state power Thursday evening.

“Anytime you open the season with a rivalry like this, it’s about the competition and experience you are going to get to help you down the road,” remarked Bear head coach Ben Smith after a narrow 37-30 loss to private-school power Baylor in Jim Smiddy Arena.

“We’ve been back wrestling them for five years. They beat us here back in the first one (January 2014) and this one tonight, and we won the three in between.

“When I scheduled them, I didn’t intend for it to be our home opener, but that’s just the way the cards fell,” he added. 

After Bradley roared out to a quick 18-point advantage, Baylor bounced back to take four straight matches for its first lead.

The Bears evened the score at 27-all with three weight divisions still to be contested, but the Red Raiders took the next two to secure the victory. 

“We won five of the first six matches and then we ran out of bullets,” Coach Smith assessed.

“I saw plenty I liked. My younger guys in my lighter weights really stepped up and did well. However, some of our more experienced guys didn’t come through like I thought they would.

“We dropped a big match at 145 between two state medalists with an escape and a takedown late (in the final period). Then we got stuck (pinned) at 152 and I didn’t expect that.” 

Baylor’s Austin Atchley was trailing Bradley’s Andy Robinson (ranked second in the Pin-TN preseason poll after finishing fifth in the Class AAA state in February) 4-3 as time was ticking down in the final period.

The fourth place finisher in the D-II state last season was able to get an escape with 35 seconds on the clock, then the decisive takedown with 15 clicks remaining for the 6-4 win at 145.

The teams split the 14 matches evenly, but the Red Raiders, with five returning state medalists in their lineup, picked up bonus points in six of their wins, including five pins.

Only one Bear, sophomore Gaven Hughes (126), was able to put his opponent’s shoulders to the mat.

Junior Daniel Mroz managed an impressive 17-1 technical fall in 3:39 over state-medalist and fourth-ranked Porter Kaufman.

Bradley’s only other bonus points came from a 9-1 major decision by sophomore Glen O’Daniel at 103 and a Raider forfeit to second-ranked Wesley Devaney.

The hosts other three victories came in close battles, with state medalists Kevin Gentry and DJ Gibson bookending the meet with 3-2 and 5-2 wins at 220 and 195 respectively.

Along with the 145 match, the other battle of the night came at 160.

Bradley junior Seth Gerena stunned Baylor’s Barrett Chambers with a reversal that led directly to two back points with just 50 seconds remaining for a 6-4 decision.

“We got some good wins, but we didn’t get enough bonus points and that cost us,” commented Coach Smith.

“At the end of the day we graduated eight starters and we’ve got six or seven guys that this is their first varsity match. Some of them did very well. We didn’t run away from the challenge.

“Baylor will wrestle for their state title and we’ll wrestle for ours, and then we’ll do this again next year,” he added.

The loss marked the first for the Bears on their home mat since Baylor and Cleveland did it back-to-back two days apart in January of 2014.

Red Raiders 37, Bears 30

Match started at 220

106 — Glen O’Daniel (BC) major dec. Kadine Hartline, 9-1; 113 — Wesley Devaney (BC) won by forfeit; 120 — Daniel Mroz (BC) tech. fall Porter Kauffman, 17-1, 3:39; 126 — Gaven Hughes (BC) pinned Grant Slye, 1:55; 132 — Clayton Pettway (Bay) pinned Dillian Tenpenny, 1:51; 138 — Hayden Hartline (Bay) pinned Ian Machese, 4:28; 145 — Austin Atchley (Bay) dec. Andy Robinson, 6-4; 152 — Alex Atchley (Bay) pinned Skyler Bradley, 1:44; 160 — Seth Gerena (BC) dec. Barrett Chambers, 6-4; 170 — Mason Reinche (Bay) pinned Brance Falls, :59; 182 — Riley Westlake (Bay) major dec. Trey Johnson, 11-3; 195 — DJ Gibson (BC) dec.  Sam Reynolds, 5-2; 220 — Kevin Gentry (BC) dec. Stephen Morgan 3-2; 285 — Coleton Elrod (Bay) pinned Gavin Sewell, 2:29.

--------------_------

Watch news report as only Chattanooga will do...

http://www.clipsyndicate.com/video/play/7195719

-----------------------------

Tribe Light Weights Prove Heavy In Decision Over M-East

KINGSPORT, Tenn. – Trailing Morristown East 30-15, the Dobyns-Bennett grapplers scored six consecutive pins to rally for a 51-30 victory over the ... The Indians (2-0) will wrestle in the Border Duals this Saturday at Tennessee High.

logo

Dobyns-Bennett’s Shane Lemons clinched the match victory for the Indians by pinning his Morristown East opponent Thursday.

Allen Greene — TriCitiesSports.com

1 / 1 Dobyns-Bennett’s Shane Lemons clinched the match victory for the Indians by pinning his Morristown East opponent Thursday.

no avatar
SPORTS LIVE 

Tribe’s smallest wrestlers lead Indians to win over ’Canes

STEVE WILMOTH, TRICITIESSPORTS.COM • DEC 1, 2017 AT 12:50 AM 

KINGSPORT — Trailing Morristown East 30-15, the Dobyns-Bennett grapplers scored six consecutive pins to rally for a 51-30 victory over the Hurricanes Thursday evening on the mats at the Buck Van Huss Dome.

All six victories came from the lightest weight classifications.

View the photo gallery from the match

“Our lower weight kept the momentum going at the right time when we needed it,” said first-year Tribe coach Wesley Idlette.

Brennan Watkins grabbed the momentum for the Tribe with a 19-second pin at 106 pounds.

The remaining five took a little more work, but all earned the whistle. Gabe Hawkins won in 2:30 at 113 pounds and Corbin Bumgarner’s pin in the 120 match at 3:45 gave the Indians a 33-30 edge.

Jackson Hurst was a victor at 126 pounds in 3:43 and Shane Lemons clinched the match victory for the Tribe in 2:17 at 132 pounds.

“Jackson, Gabe and Brennan were all outstanding,” added Idlette. “All our little guys took care of it and did really well.”

Tre Morrisette finished the night with a pin in 1:53 at 138 pounds. Other Dobyns-Bennett winners on the night were Dillon Lemons (145), Clint Morrisette (152) and Nehoa Ward (195).

“We are really young, but the effort has been outstanding thus far this season,” noted Idlette. “I’m really proud of the way everybody wrestled today.”

The Indians (2-0) will wrestle in the Border Duals this Saturday at Tennessee High, where Idlette says several other grapplers will get their chance on the mat.

“We still have some guys missing and others who are improving,” added Idlette. “We are still trying to finalize our roster as far as our depth chart and who is going to be wrestling where.

“But the effort has just been outstanding with all of our guys in practice and in matches and they are doing a fantastic job. I’m looking for some more progress this weekend.”

After a match next Tuesday at Jefferson County, Dobyns-Bennett will host the U.S. Air Force Indian Classic December 8-9 at the Dome.

BOUNCING 

ON POINT POWERED BY MERCEDES-BENZ

BOUNCING BACK

BY STEVE WALDMAN

Playing sports when you’re a child can have a much greater impact than one realizes. Some of the greatest life skills you can learn are discipline, work ethic, and how to face adversity.

For sophomore Trey Chalifoux of the Army West Point wrestling team, his career on the mat started because of an adverse situation he faced early on in life.

Chalifoux started wrestling after being cut from his travel basketball team around the time he was 10 years old. He started with basketball when he was five, playing mostly in a recreational league until he found a travel team in the fourth grade.

“The team was really good, and we went undefeated,” Chalifoux said. “That summer my dad got a phone call from the head coach while I was playing baseball saying that they needed more size, so I wasn’t going to play with the team next season. I needed a new sport to play in the winter, and my dad recommended wrestling so I gave it a shot.”

Chalifoux’s had shifted his main focus to baseball at the time, but he needed something to keep him in shape during the winter. So he took his father’s advice and tried wrestling. They had a family friend from church who had a wrestling club and brought him in to see how he liked the sport.

•••

1.jpg

•••

Unlike most team sports, the result of a wrestling match is solely dependent on your actions. You can’t blame one of your teammates for making an error, missing a block or failing to make a save – it’s on you.

“When you lose in wrestling, it’s on you,” Chalifoux added. “You’re the only one to blame, so that made me have to reflect about what I needed to do better so I didn’t lose. Getting better, trusting the coaches and the process of the practices and devoting time to things you learn and need to improve upon is really what allows you to win all the time.”

No one in his family had ever wrestled before, so Chalifoux was navigating unchartered waters. Despite their lack of experience and knowledge in the sport, his family was fully supportive of him and did everything they could to help him succeed.

•••

7.jpg

•••

“My dad was very good about trying to figure out what wrestling was and trying to help me out as much as possible,” Chalifoux said. “A lot of it was my coaches being very helpful and understanding, but having my family’s support was the main thing.”

The Nashville, Tenn., native saw enough success in his first year that he decided to continue wrestling and, by the time he reached Father Ryan High School, started devoting time to it. His interest in the sport grew from there, which resulted in a great deal of success throughout the next four years.

Chalifoux won multiple Tennessee state championships and earned four All-America honors, in addition to being voted team captain twice by his teammates. As a senior, he earned the Dave Schultz High School Excellence Award for the state of Tennessee, which recognizes and celebrates the nation’s most outstanding high school seniors for their excellence in wrestling, scholastic achievement, citizenship and community service.

12.jpg

“Trey obviously enjoyed a lot of success in high school as a three-time state champion and multiple time All-American,” Army head coach Kevin Ward said. “He was an All-American at the USA Wrestling Freestyle Championships in Fargo, N.D., his junior year and placed in a lot of other national tournaments. He was being recruited by a lot of schools and had a lot of options.

“What I liked about Trey the more I got to know him was what everybody said about his work ethic; that he was going to give you 100 percent or more every single day. He would never quit and would keep coming back for more in the room. So outside of his success and accolades as a high school wrestler, he had his work ethic, which says a lot about his character. We thought he’d be a great fit for our program.”

Chalifoux was being recruited by a multitude of schools, but there was something that stuck out about West Point.

“I took visits to Chattanooga, Northern Illinois, Northwestern and Virginia, but Army stood out to me because of the brotherhood,” Chalifoux said. “The guys on the team were great. The ability to be guaranteed a job after college was really big, but being in the Army was important to me as well. A couple of my family members are in the Army right now, so being in the military is nothing new to my family.”

One of the greatest influences that brought him to West Point was being able to talk to Mark Marchetti ’17, a fellow Father Ryan alumnus, throughout his recruitment and plebe year. This helped Chalifoux understand how close the Army wrestling brotherhood really was by showing him what a close-knit group they are.

Upon his arrival at the United States Military Academy, Chalifoux made an instant impact in the wrestling room. Something that was noticed quickly by both his teammates and coaches. His work ethic and desire to better himself day-in and day-out was evident immediately. The others in the room could tell how serious he was about training and his devotion to wrestling.

“He became a full year starter from the first competition his freshman year,” Ward commented. “He’s a guy who earned respect from his teammates and the coaching staff early in his freshman year just by the way he showed up to work every day. He puts everything that he has into it. When you get guys like that, it helps elevate the expectations of what other people around them should bring every day.”

The toughness and relentless work ethic he developed through the sport aided Chalifoux off the mat at West Point as much, if not more, than it did when he was wrestling.

16.jpg
15.jpg

“With wrestling, you have to be able to work hard,” Chalifoux said. “At school we’re taking a heavy course load, so you have to put forth the effort needed to excel in these challenging classes. On the military side of things, wrestling makes it so much easier because of all the tough workouts we go through, having to cut weight and all of the other things you don’t want to do. It’s easily transferred over to the Army when you are out in the field and it’s raining. It stinks, but you think back to some of those tough practices that make the situation you’re in not seem as bad. It really helps knowing that you’ve gone through worse and being well-conditioned physically.”

He battled to a 15-13 mark in his first season, and was a regular in Army’s lineup as one of just four Cadets who competed in 11 of the team’s 12 duals. In his first competition for the Black Knights, Chalifoux posted a second-place finish at the Southeast Open, which included winning his first three matches.

Chalifoux learned quickly, however, that winning does not come easy. He struggled after his impressive debut, dropping eight of his next 12 bouts over the next two months. Rather than being deterred, he used that as motivation to get back to the success he was used to because he knew that there was no time to feel sorry for himself.

“The guys on the team are always trying to push you in the room,” Chalifoux said. “If you have a bad day, you’re going to get your butt kicked. So you’d better come in every day ready to wrestle hard. I think the main thing that helped me is knowing there is someone behind me trying to take my spot and forcing me to work hard in order to keep it.”

As he learned how to accept that every match is going to take his best effort in order to get his hand raised at the end, he began to mature and grow as a wrestler, cadet and person.

“That first year you hit some struggles and go through some hardships that maybe you didn’t face a lot in high school,” Ward added. “In a state like Tennessee, when you’re a dominant wrestler, you’re not tested very much unless you get out of the state most times. At this level, you’re tested every single time you step on the mat.”

Chalifoux returned to form last season with a pair of dual victories over Eastern Intercollegiate Wrestling Association (EIWA) foes before capturing an individual title at the All-Academy Championships as Army won the event in consecutive years for the first time in program history. Three weeks later, he kicked off Army’s 19-14 victory in the annual Star Match against service-academy rival Navy with a 14-8 decision over Brant Leadbeter. Chalifoux closed out his rookie campaign at the EIWA Championships, placing fifth after a 2-2 showing.

“If you look at him throughout his career from the beginning of his freshman year to the end, and even now, he’s continued to improve every single time,” Ward commented. “That’s what’s been most impressive to see his continued improvement. We don’t see that stopping, and we believe more than ever in his potential which is to reach the podium at the national tournament multiple times.”

Now in his second season with the Black Knights, Chalifoux’s ultimate goal has not changed. He aims to be an All-American. The last Cadet to earn All-America honors in any weight class was Matt Kyler ’10 back in 2008. Chalifoux’s dream of becoming an All-American is right in front of his face every day as there is a wall in the practice room decorated with a plaque commemorating each All-American in the program’s history.

•••

99.jpg

•••

Chalifoux believes Army will have an All-American soon and he would love to continue that legacy and put his name up on the wall.

There are ups and downs throughout the career of all athletes, but it’s how you bounce back after the downs that truly defines you and your character.

http://static.goarmywestpoint.com/custompages/army/bouncingback.htm
Edited by Sommers

Sommers.......I was able to get out yesterday and watch the Mountain View vs. Bradley Central dual.  Mountain View was down two starters, but pulled out the win.  If I find the results online, I'll post the link.  My guess is that North Hall probably won that dual tournament.  (I left to watch football)

You might want to check out Buford's lineup......they'll have their full lineup soon now that football is over.

Very nice finish for Science Hill at the Southern Slam Invitational (SC):

Team Scores
1.  Buford  184.0
2.  Science Hill  181.5
3.  Alexander  152.5
4.  Eastside  145.0
5.  River Bluff  131.0
6.  Collins Hill  124.0
7.  Archer  112.5
8.  Cane Bay  109.0
9.  West Forsyth  106.5
10.  Davie County  101.0

Mountain View Results:

Team finishes
1. North Hall
2. Mountain View
3. Bradley Central, TN
4. Woodland-Cartersville
5. Hillgrove
6. Vestavia Hills, AL
7. Pope
8. South Paulding

Edited by RMC
  • Upvote 1

On 12/3/2017 at 10:18 AM, RMC said:

Sommers.......I was able to get out yesterday and watch the Mountain View vs. Bradley Central dual.  Mountain View was down two starters, but pulled out the win.  If I find the results online, I'll post the link.  My guess is that North Hall probably won that dual tournament.  (I left to watch football)

You might want to check out Buford's lineup......they'll have their full lineup soon now that football is over.

Very nice finish for Science Hill at the Southern Slam Invitational (SC):

Team Scores
1.  Buford  184.0
2.  Science Hill  181.5
3.  Alexander  152.5
4.  Eastside  145.0
5.  River Bluff  131.0
6.  Collins Hill  124.0
7.  Archer  112.5
8.  Cane Bay  109.0
9.  West Forsyth  106.5
10.  Davie County  101.0

Mountain View Results:

Team finishes
1. North Hall
2. Mountain View
3. Bradley Central, TN
4. Woodland-Cartersville
5. Hillgrove
6. Vestavia Hills, AL
7. Pope
8. South Paulding

No doubt our Tennessee-Ga transplant, RMC. 

Buford is a new force to be reckoned with, Cleveland could even have their hands full.

Amazing to see the Hill (of Tennessee) over Archer and Collins Hill in a tournament.

---------------------------------

Science-Hill-wrestlers-finish-second-at-
Science Hill wrestlers pose with the trophy from Saturday's Southern Slam meet.

Contributed

1 / 1 Science Hill wrestlers pose with the trophy from Saturday's Southern Slam meet.

no avatar
SCIENCE HILL WRESTLING 

Science Hill wrestlers finish second at Southern Slam

STAFF REPORTS • UPDATED TODAY AT 5:50 PM 

GREENVILLE, S.C. — The Science Hill wrestling team is proving itself to be a force this season with a runner-up finish at the Southern Slam Invitational this past weekend.

Led by Chase Diehl, the individual winner in the 160-pound weight class, Science Hill finished the weekend by placing second out of a 43-team field which included state champions from North Carolina, South Carolina and Georgia.

The Hilltoppers ended up just 2.5 points (184-181.5) behind Buford (Ga.), the defending state champions in the Peach State, in the final standings. Science Hill had seven individual medalists with Tyler Seeley (120), Luke Story (138) and Weston Brown (195) all taking third-place medals.

Joseph Frye (132) and Jacob Morrell (170) both ended up fifth, while Arthur James (145) was seventh.

“It was a great weekend for us,” Science Hill coach Jimmy Miller said. “We didn’t know how we stacked up against big programs and good teams from other states. Our kids came in and wrestled well. We had a couple of kids if they had won one more match, they would have also medaled. The kids just have to keep achieving and put their noses down. This is just a preview of what we could do.”

In finishing second, Science Hill finished ahead of such noted powerhouse programs from Eastside (S.C.), Alexander (Ga.), Dorman (S.C.) and West Forsyth (N.C.).

Mobile

Bryce

Carr Named SoCon Wrestler of the Month

This is the second monthly award from the SoCon for the senior.
Dec. 04, 2017 Wrestling

STORY LINKS

University of Tennessee at Chattanooga senior Bryce Carr is the Southern Conference Wrestler of the Month for November, the league office announced today. 

Carr earned the honor after going 8-1, winning both the Hokie Open and the Black Knight Invite at 184 pounds.  This is his second career monthly award from the SoCon after winning the award in January of last season.  

A senior from Dublin, Georgia, Carr had three major decisions, one technical fall and one pin last month.  His only loss in the opening month was to No. 7 Zach Zavatsky of Virginia Tech in sudden victory.

Carr was named SoCon Wrestler of the Week on Nov. 8 after going 4-0 in the Hokie Open. He recorded two major decisions in his last three matches to end the month of November, boosting him to No. 13 in the nation at 184 pounds.

UTC is 2-2 overall after splitting matches last weekend with Davidson and No. 6 N.C. State.  UTC has two weeks to prepare for its last action of the calendar year when they take on No. 2 Ohio State in Alpharetta, Ga., on Dec. 15.  The dual takes place at 2:00 p.m. (E.S.T.) at the Cooler and ticket information is on the wrestling schedule page on GoMocs.com. 

The next home match is Monday, Dec. 18 against Ohio at 7:00 p.m. in Maclellan Gym. Tickets for that bout, and the Southern Scuffle on Jan. 1-2 in McKenzie Arena are available on GoMocs.com.  New for the Scuffle this season are Hospitality Passes to go with reserved seating.  Find out more information here, or call the UTC Ticket Office at (423) 266-MOCS (6627).

Edited by Sommers

WRESTLING

Wisconsin may add high school girls wrestling division soon

636478357288732079-APCBrd-02-28-2016-Crescent-1-D004-2016-02-27-IMG--GWM-StateWrestle-02-1-1-SBDJE9RH-L768349009-IMG--GWM-StateWrestle-02-1-1-SBDJE9RH.jpg
Former Stratford athlete Macey Kilty reached the Division 3 finals at 106 pounds during the WIAA state wrestling ...more
USA TODAY NETWORK-Wisconsin file photo
Tim Johnson | USA TODAY NETWORK-Wisconsin12:51 p.m. CT Dec. 5, 2017

MOSINEE - Kiana Pugh is one of the best girls wrestlers in Wisconsin. 

In 2017 alone, the Mosinee High School junior has won a Wisconsin Wrestling Federation girls freestyle title, was the girls champion at 152 pounds in the Cadet Folkstyle Nationals tournament and was fourth in the Junior Folkstyle National tournament. 

She has spent the past few winters as a member of the Mosinee boys wrestling team competing at 132 pounds. While she hasn't had the same level of success in the high school season against boys, it hasn't impacted her desire to compete in the sport. 

RELATED:  8 Wisconsin basketball stars aiming for Division I colleges

RELATED:  Club sports like lacrosse face obstacles in being sponsored by WIAA

"I just like the challenge," said Pugh, who started wrestling as a first-grader after watching her cousin wrestle. "And once I really started (youth wrestling), I don't think my mom would have let me quit even if I had ever wanted to."

The question is, how would Pugh and the dozens of other female high school wrestlers across the state fare if given the opportunity to break away from boys teams? The answer could come in the near future. 

Girls have had the opportunity to wrestle on boys teams for decades after the passage of Title IX in the 1970s. But 13 years after Tomahawk's Alyssa Lampe became the first girl to compete in the state wrestling tournament and less than two years after Stratford's Macey Kilty reached the Division 3 finals, there is a movement for the WIAA to add a girls-only division to the high school wrestling season.

It is something that could be a reality — one that some supporters believe should come as soon as next year, while others believe it might be closer to three seasons away. 

"It would mean a lot," Pugh said during a Mosinee team practice Friday. "This is something that (girls wrestlers) have been waiting for."

636479286483355841-kianapugh.jpeg.jpg
Kiana Pugh (blue sweatshirt) listens to Mosinee wrestling coach Steve Kmosena before a start of a ...more
Tim Johnson/USA TODAY NETWORK-Wisconsin

Six States Sanction Already

The Wisconsin Wrestling Coaches Association and Wisconsin Wrestling Federation have led the charge. Given the increasing popularity of girls wrestling in the state, it seems Wisconsin could soon be the seventh state to have the sport sanctioned on its own by an interscholastic athletic association.

"I've known Kiana since she was this big," Mosinee coach Steve Kmosena said, holding his hand at about knee level. "I've always supported her and told her, 'Stay with it because things are going to start happening for you as a female in this sport.' We can't just leave that door shut anymore. Those girls have kicked the door down and are going to national-level events and some are competing outside of the country. 

"Kiana is at that level and I think her work ethic is second to none. I think she outworks a good amount of the boys in the sport. I think her commitment (to wrestling) deserves recognition on that mat in Madison. She deserves that spotlight and I think the girls in Wisconsin have earned it. I think the time is right."

Alaska, California, Hawaii, Tennessee, Texas and Washington have a girls-only division in their state tournaments, with Tennessee being the latest to make the move in 2015.

“It’s not a question of if, it’s when (for Wisconsin),” said Randy Ferrell, the West Allis Hale coach who also serves as president of the WWCA. “If it was up to me, I would have it for the girls for the (20)18-19 season, but we all know things take time.”

636479292040735465-gwn-55pc1o6qu4yj5egk5rq-original.jpg
Alyssa Lampe answers questions from reporters alongside former Tomahawk coach Kurt Weyers in 2004 ...more
USA TODAY NETWORK-Wisconsin file photo

How long it could take remains unclear. Next year might be too optimistic, but it could be a reality within three to five years.

There has been no formal pitch to the WIAA Board of Control. Members from the WWCA and WWF gathered in July 2016 to draft a proposal that was presented to the WIAA wrestling coaches advisory committee roughly a year ago.

“There is a proposal, but it is not something that can just be slammed through,” said Wade Labecki, deputy director of the WIAA. "We are going to take it through the process. You want to make sure the numbers are there to justify a complete separate division.”

NEARLY 200 COMPETE NOW

The number of female wrestlers in Wisconsin has been trending upward over the past few years. 

Through late November, there were 187 girls involved with a high school wrestling program. The numbers are gathered from the wrestlers who have gone through the hydration and skin-fold tests through the Wisconsin Weight Management plan, information that is entered into and managed in the state by trackwrestling.com. Ferrell said 102 schools across the state have at least one female wrestler and 20 have at least three.

Milwaukee Reagan has 10 female wrestlers with its wrestling program this winter. Kenosha Indian Trail and River Falls both have nine.

Ferrell said the overall numbers represent about a 50 percent growth over the past five seasons.

The trend isn't unique to Wisconsin as nearly 15,000 girls compete in high school wrestling across the country, according to the National Collegiate Wrestling Association. 

Lakeland University in Plymouth announced plans to add a women's wrestling team in fall 2018, becoming the first college in Wisconsin to offer the sport. Lakeland will become the 40th program of the Women's College Wrestling Association, a collection of NCAA Division II, Division III, NAIA and junior college programs. 

“We want to be one of the pioneers with this sport,” Lakeland coach Ben Chapman, who also heads the men's wrestling program, said in a news release announcing the move. “With more states offering wrestling at the high school level and the ranks of the WCWA growing, the trends are impressive and we’re excited to be the first school in Wisconsin to offer a college program."

The growth in female wrestling numbers comes at a time when high school wrestling participation has declined overall in Wisconsin. That trend has made it difficult for a number of boys programs to fill the 14 weight classes throughout the season.

The WIAA documented that 7,209 wrestlers started the season last year and 6,501 finished. That's about a 17 percent reduction over the past decade.

“There are girls showing interest in wrestling in Wisconsin and across the country,” said Kevin Black, the River Falls wrestling coach and women’s freestyle coach for the Wisconsin Wrestling Federation. “We already have a couple hundred girls who are involved with boys wrestling now, and I think we are already past the time when a girls-only wrestling opportunity should be available in the state. 

"There are people who think it is a three- to five-year plan where I personally am in thought of why keep waiting. I think we could add a mat at the (WIAA) state tournament this year (for girls). We aren't going to, but it is possible."

YOUTH TREND UP, TOO

Molly Engedal, a volunteer with the Wisconsin Wrestling Federation women's division, said youth girls numbers have been climbing over the decade. In 2009, there were five girls who wrestled in the WWF youth state folkstyle tournament, the last year it was a coed event. A separate girls division was added in 2010, and 123 girls participated. 

In 2017, there were 246 girls in second through eighth grade who competed in the event. 

"'We are seeing the numbers of (youth) girls getting involved in youth wrestling and then staying with (the sport) into high school," said Engedal, whose daughter, Sarah, is part of the Oshkosh West team. 

Four high school weekend tournaments in Wisconsin will offer a girls varsity division during the regular season this winter — the Marty Loy (in Fond du Lac), the Badger State Invitational (at the Alliant Energy Center in Madison), the Bauer Brawl (at West Allis Hale) and the Wisconsin Challenge Series (finals at Wausau West).

Girls will compete in 10 weight classes in each meet. A girls division was run during the challenge series last year but was on a junior varsity level.

"The WIAA wants to see how well-received and that the brackets are full," Ferrell said. "It is a factor moving forward."

It is another step toward the eventual goal of having the girls division as part of the WIAA state wrestling weekend in Madison. Ferrell said an extra mat or two at the Kohl Center to handle the additional athletes would not set back the schedule of the tournament. 

When girls wrestling is implemented, Ferrell said, it is likely there will be one division of competition for the state tournament. Each weight bracket would be made up of eight wrestlers. Ferrell envisioned that co-op teams would be formed at the start with dual-meet competition during the regular season.

"As numbers grow even further, schools could field programs and conferences could be formed," Ferrell said. "The main thing is giving (girls wrestlers) the opportunity."

• Upvote 1

Busy wrestling 

Week ahead

Posted Thursday, December 7, 2017 10:46 am

By PATRICK MacCOON    

The local wrestling scene is ready to take off with a busy slate ahead that features the Al Miller Cleveland Duals this Saturday.

Known for the quality of competition, the all-day Saturday tournament to be held in Raider Arena starting at 8 a.m. features six of the top 10 teams in Class AAA along with other wrestling stalwarts in Father Ryan, Christian Brothers, Baylor and McCallie.

"This will be the 34th year of the Cleveland Duals," first-year CHS head coach Joey Knox said. "I think it is a great tournament for all the teams involved because it is a good measurement of how you line up with the best teams in the state. What we really hope for from this week is to improve on the little things we still need to get better at."

For Cleveland, a strong lineup with six top-3 ranked wrestlers has taken the top spot in the state in the first state Class AAA poll released this week.

The Blue Raider matmen are 6-1 to begin the season with the only loss coming to the No. 2 team in the country Wyoming Seminary (74-0).

With 10 ranked wrestlers overall, CHS has dominated its opposition so far to tune of a 359-61 points advantage in matches resulting in victory.

After a second-place finish at the Lake Norman, N.C., tournament this past weekend, which included a 72-6 win over the host, the schedule is loaded this week for first-year head coach Joey Knox and other local programs.

Tonight, Walker Valley will host a tri-meet against Cleveland and another tough opponent in Cookeville.

A pair of ranked battles will also take place in Jim Smiddy Arena between Bradley Central (ranked third by pin-tn.com) and Father Ryan, who both swept the duals and traditional titles at the state tournament last season.

No. 1 wrestlers in the state from the local area include Bradley’s Wes Devaney at 113 and Cleveland’s Cody Mathews at 145.

Knox Halls will visit Cleveland Friday before a tough field takes center stage Saturday.

The Blue Raiders are defending champions of the Duals. Senior second-ranked wrestler Jack Hicks (182) returns after landing the decisive pin to earn a walk-off 34-33 victory over Bradley Central for title.

Cleveland graduate and now UTC wrestler Colton Landers was named the Most Valuable Wrestler of the tournament, which included the most lopsided win over Baylor (53-15) in program history.

The Duals will feature four loaded pools from several of the top programs around the state and a few from out of state as well.

Pool A: McCallie, Bradley Central, Heritage, Gilmer, Ala.

Pool B: Science Hill, Christian Brothers, Carrolton, Cleveland’s B team

Pool C: Baylor, Beech, Halls, Southeast High School.

Pool D: Cleveland, Father Ryan, Vestavia Hills, Ala., Arlington High School

The Bears, who are 5-3 overall to begin the season, will begin the day at 8:30 a.m. with a match against Heritage. The Blue Raiders will take on Arlington High at the same time on one of six mats that will be in use at Raider Arena.

Bradley will also take on Gilmer (10 a.m.) and McCallie (1 p.m.), while Cleveland meets up with Vestavia Hills (10) and Father Ryan (1).

CHS wrestling struggles at Blackman

The Cookeville High School wrestling team was able to get a few victories against Blackman High School on Tuesday in Murfreesboro, but the Cavaliers ultimately fell to the Blaze 54-24.

http://herald-citizen.com/stories/chs-wrestling-struggles-at-blackman,24750

Cleveland Wrestlers Blank Heritage, 75-0

Blue Raiders Record Eight Pins In Shutout Over Generals

Thursday, December 7, 2017 - by Special to Chattanoogan.com

The top-ranked Cleveland Blue Raider wrestling team posted a 75-0 victory over the Heritage Generals on Thursday night and used eight pins to secure the lopsided victory.

Jackson Bradford had the quickest as his 113-pound match was over in five seconds.  

Cleveland will return to action on Friday as they host Halls before hosting the ever-competitive Cleveland Duals on Saturday.

CLEVELAND 75, HERITAGE 0

106 -- Trae Bradford (C) dec. Ryan Craft, 4-1;

113 -- Jackson Bradford (C) pinned Jadyn Norton, :05;

120 -- Burns Meagher (C) won by technical fall over Nathan Boatman, 3:47;

126 -- Bryce Pond (C) pinned Antwaun Powell, 1:40;

132 -- Jayce Mullin (C) pinned Tyler Tomey, 2:45;

138 -- Michael Whiteside (C) pinned Josh Shadwick, 3:52;

145 -- Cody Mathews (C) won by technical fall over Garrett Stephens, 4:00;

152 -- Austin Sweeney (C) pinned Seth Ingle, 5:19;

160 -- Zach Brezna (C) dec. Spencer Davies, 8-2;

170 -- Dylan Jones (C) won by technical fall over Joseph Eacret, 2:00;

182 -- Robert Hicks (C) pinned Drake Parker;

195 -- Logan Strickland (C) pinned Zach Brown, 4:30;

220 -- Wilson Benefield (C) pinned Jeffery Curtis, 4:00;

285 -- Titus Swafford (C) won by forfeit.

Edited by Sommers

On 12/7/2017 at 5:21 PM, Sommers said:

Busy wrestling 

Week ahead

Posted Thursday, December 7, 2017 10:46 am

By PATRICK MacCOON    

The local wrestling scene is ready to take off with a busy slate ahead that features the Al Miller Cleveland Duals this Saturday.

Known for the quality of competition, the all-day Saturday tournament to be held in Raider Arena starting at 8 a.m. features six of the top 10 teams in Class AAA along with other wrestling stalwarts in Father Ryan, Christian Brothers, Baylor and McCallie.

"This will be the 34th year of the Cleveland Duals," first-year CHS head coach Joey Knox said. "I think it is a great tournament for all the teams involved because it is a good measurement of how you line up with the best teams in the state. What we really hope for from this week is to improve on the little things we still need to get better at."

For Cleveland, a strong lineup with six top-3 ranked wrestlers has taken the top spot in the state in the first state Class AAA poll released this week.

The Blue Raider matmen are 6-1 to begin the season with the only loss coming to the No. 2 team in the country Wyoming Seminary (74-0).

With 10 ranked wrestlers overall, CHS has dominated its opposition so far to tune of a 359-61 points advantage in matches resulting in victory.

After a second-place finish at the Lake Norman, N.C., tournament this past weekend, which included a 72-6 win over the host, the schedule is loaded this week for first-year head coach Joey Knox and other local programs.

Tonight, Walker Valley will host a tri-meet against Cleveland and another tough opponent in Cookeville.

A pair of ranked battles will also take place in Jim Smiddy Arena between Bradley Central (ranked third by pin-tn.com) and Father Ryan, who both swept the duals and traditional titles at the state tournament last season.

No. 1 wrestlers in the state from the local area include Bradley’s Wes Devaney at 113 and Cleveland’s Cody Mathews at 145.

Knox Halls will visit Cleveland Friday before a tough field takes center stage Saturday.

The Blue Raiders are defending champions of the Duals. Senior second-ranked wrestler Jack Hicks (182) returns after landing the decisive pin to earn a walk-off 34-33 victory over Bradley Central for title.

Cleveland graduate and now UTC wrestler Colton Landers was named the Most Valuable Wrestler of the tournament, which included the most lopsided win over Baylor (53-15) in program history.

The Duals will feature four loaded pools from several of the top programs around the state and a few from out of state as well.

Pool A: McCallie, Bradley Central, Heritage, Gilmer, Ala.

Pool B: Science Hill, Christian Brothers, Carrolton, Cleveland’s B team

Pool C: Baylor, Beech, Halls, Southeast High School.

Pool D: Cleveland, Father Ryan, Vestavia Hills, Ala., Arlington High School

The Bears, who are 5-3 overall to begin the season, will begin the day at 8:30 a.m. with a match against Heritage. The Blue Raiders will take on Arlington High at the same time on one of six mats that will be in use at Raider Arena.

Bradley will also take on Gilmer (10 a.m.) and McCallie (1 p.m.), while Cleveland meets up with Vestavia Hills (10) and Father Ryan (1).

CHS wrestling struggles at Blackman

The Cookeville High School wrestling team was able to get a few victories against Blackman High School on Tuesday in Murfreesboro, but the Cavaliers ultimately fell to the Blaze 54-24.

http://herald-citizen.com/stories/chs-wrestling-struggles-at-blackman,24750

Cleveland Wrestlers Blank Heritage, 75-0

Blue Raiders Record Eight Pins In Shutout Over Generals

Thursday, December 7, 2017 - by Special to Chattanoogan.com

The top-ranked Cleveland Blue Raider wrestling team posted a 75-0 victory over the Heritage Generals on Thursday night and used eight pins to secure the lopsided victory.

Jackson Bradford had the quickest as his 113-pound match was over in five seconds.  

Cleveland will return to action on Friday as they host Halls before hosting the ever-competitive Cleveland Duals on Saturday.

CLEVELAND 75, HERITAGE 0

pwNotices-logo.png

Third-ranked Bears roar past 'Canes, Eagles
BRADLEY CENTRAL junior Wesley DeVaney, back, moved into the 113-pound top spot in the state rankings after winning a battle of Nos. 1 and 2 on Tuesday evening.
BRADLEY CENTRAL junior Wesley DeVaney, back, moved into the 113-pound top spot in the state rankings after winning a battle of Nos. 1 and 2 on Tuesday evening.
BANNER FILE PHOTO, JOE CANNON
 Buy this photo
Posted Thursday, December 7, 2017 10:48 am

From staff reports

EVENSVILLE — After a strong showing at a top Georgia dual tournament over the weekend,  defending back-to-back double state champion Bradley Central dropped just two matches in a pair of regional dual meets Tuesday evening, in almost identical wins.

Traveling to across the Tennessee River for a tri-match, the Bears, ranked third in the first Pin-TN.com Class AAA state poll of the season,  downed East Hamilton 71-6 and host Rhea County 72-6.

The highlight match of the evening came when second-ranked Bear  junior Wesley DeVaney defeated top-rated Hurricane Te'Nario Thomas when he pinned his shoulders to the mat at the 5:17 mark of their 113-pound match.

The "stick" propelled DeVaney into the No. 1 spot in the new Pin-TN ranking Wednesday.

Along with DeVaney, Bradley got pins from Glen O'Daniel (106), Gavin Hughes (126), Dillan Tenpenny (132), Seth Gerena (160), Henley Headrick (170) and third-ranked DJ Gibson (195) against East Hamilton.

In the meet with Rhea County, Bear matmen Tenpenny, Ian Marchese (138), Gerena, Headrick and Gavin Sewell (285) "stuck" their opponents.

After having to sit out the first two weigh-ins of the season due to a disqualification in the region tournament last season, Headrick needed just 37 seconds to get his first pin and only 68 for the other.

Bradley also got a pair of technical falls on the night with Daniel Mroz taking the 120-pound match against the Hurricanes by a 16-1 margin, while second-ranked Andy Robinson finished off his 145-pound Eagle opponent 17-2. 

The Bears went 3-2 at the Mountain View (Ga.) Duals this past weekend, advancing to the championship bracket after pool play before earning the third-place trophy.

"I didn't feel we got beat by anybody that was really better than us, but we had one of our top guys out and we have a bunch of guys who are still learning to compete on the varsity level," assessed Bradley head coach Ben Smith.

The Bears dropped a tight 29-27 meet with the host Mountain View squad, that finished third at the Georgia state tournament last year, plus fell 31-23 to a "very tough 4A team" in North Hall in the championship round opener.

Now 5-3 on the campaign, Bradley will entertain defending state D-II champion Father Ryan this evening before wrestling in the Cleveland Duals Saturday.

"Father Ryan won their 24th and 25th state titles last season, while we were winning our 25th and 26th," commented Coach Smith. "It should be a good match."
In the Saturday action at Raider Arena, the Bears will open against McCallie, ninth-ranked Heritage and Gilmer, Ala., in pool play. 

Dual Meet Summaries

Bears (BC) 71,  Hurricanes (EH) 6
match started at 145

106: Glen O'Daniel (BC) pinned Ethan Saxon, 1:20. 113: Wesley DeVaney (BC) pinned Te'Nario Thomas, 5:17. 120: Daniel Mroz (BC) tech. fall Alexander Dwyer, 16-1. 126: Gaven Hughes (BC) pinned Brady Farren, 1:29. 132: Dillan Tenpenny (BC) pinned Samuel Malone, 1:39. 138: Ian Marchese (BC) dec. Joshua Chisenall, 11-5). 145: Andy Robinson (BC) won by forfeit. 152: Skyler Bradley (BC) won by forfeit. 160: Seth Gerena (BC) pinned Amari Reel, 1:30. 170: Henley Headrick (BC) pinned Noah Cantor, :37. 182: Larry Johnson (BC) dec. Jason  Brumlow, 6-4. 195: DJ Gibson (BC) pinned Aiden Holt, :40. 220: Kevin Gentry (BC) won by foreit. 285: James Howard (EH) pinned Gavin Sewell, 1:14. 

Bears (BC) 72, Eagles (RC) 6
match started at 152

106: Glen O'Daniel (BC) won by forfeit. 113: Wesley DeVaney (BC) won by forfeit. 120: Daniel Mroz (BC) won by forfeit. 126: Gaven Hughes (BC) won by forfeit. 132: Dillan Tenpenny (BC) pinned Major Hickman, 1:30. 138: Ian Marchese (BC) pinned Wyatt Stumbo, 3:10. 145: Andy Robinson (BC) tech. fall Dusty Sluder, 17-2.  152: Skyler Bradley (BC) major dec. Jagger Hickman, 11-1. 160: Seth Gerena (BC) pinned Kobie Thurman, 1:21. 170: Henley Headrick (BC) pinned Tristan Riggs, 1:08. 182: Joshua Garmany (RC) pinned Larry Johnson, 1:59. 195: DJ Gibson (BC) won by forfeit. 220: Kevin Gentry (BC) dec. Garrett Smith, 7-2. 285: Gavin Sewell (BC) pinned Colton Edwards, 1:04. 

PROVIDED AS A PUBLIC SERVICE BY THE NEWSPAPERS OF TENNESSEE
ai.php?filename=donledford_blackfriday_w
lg.php?bannerid=87&campaignid=84&zoneid=
© 2017 CLEVELAND NEWSPAPERS, INC. | HOME| CONTACT US | SUBSCRIBE | ARCHIVE

113 -- Jackson Bradford (C) pinned Jadyn Norton, :05;

120 -- Burns Meagher (C) won by technical fall over Nathan Boatman, 3:47;

126 -- Bryce Pond (C) pinned Antwaun Powell, 1:40;

132 -- Jayce Mullin (C) pinned Tyler Tomey, 2:45;

138 -- Michael Whiteside (C) pinned Josh Shadwick, 3:52;

145 -- Cody Mathews (C) won by technical fall over Garrett Stephens, 4:00;

152 -- Austin Sweeney (C) pinned Seth Ingle, 5:19;

160 -- Zach Brezna (C) dec. Spencer Davies, 8-2;

170 -- Dylan Jones (C) won by technical fall over Joseph Eacret, 2:00;

182 -- Robert Hicks (C) pinned Drake Parker;

195 -- Logan Strickland (C) pinned Zach Brown, 4:30;

220 -- Wilson Benefield (C) pinned Jeffery Curtis, 4:00;

285 -- Titus Swafford (C) won by forfeit.

181cacf4-cc49-11e5-94d7-9b159a763715.png

How some Brighton High wrestlers set a new record

The Brighton High junior varsity wrestling team set a new team record last week at the Annual Dragon JV Classic at Collierville High School.  

“It was the first time in my 17 years of coaching wrestling in Tipton County that everyone who entered the tournament registered a win by pin,” said head coach Larrick Johnson.  

5804f90d50563.image.jpg

About 48 hours earlier, the Cardinals where on the same floor wrestling Collierville in their opening dual meet of the year.  

“To be honest, we came out flat and took a good old-fashioned whipping,” said Johnson.  The Cardinals lost 72-0 to the Dragons, not winning a match.

A team meeting was held Johnson stressed the following theme: “Compete and have fun.”

The Cardinals did just that, starting with the 132-pound weight class where sophomore Zane Mendoza went on a tear, winning four matches by pin, losing only in the finals.  

In the first round, Mendoza won by fall (pin) over Weber Wilson of Collierville in 5:48.  

“This was a big match for Zane, who lost to Wilson two weeks earlier at the Arlington pre-season tournament,”  Johnson said.  

In the second round of the tournament he pinned Jacob Carter of Bolton in 1:35. In the third round he pinned Perry Harrold of Millington in 1:25. In the semifinals Mendoza won by pin over crosstown rivial Ty Phillips of Munford in 1:40.  

In the finals it was a rematch with Wilson of Collierville. In this one Wilson prevailed by pin in 2:17.  Mendoza earned his first medal of the season.

Next up for Brighton was junior and team captain Joshua Love in the 138-pound weight class.  

In round one, Love faced junior Becerra of Houston. It was back and forth early, each wrestler trading points. The score was tied 5-5 last in second.  

“I was coaching between two mats at once,” Johnson said. “When I left the Mendoza match and returned to Love’s match, the score was 10-5 in favor of Houston. I thought, ‘What happened here?’”

Love came into the next match refocused and pinned Don Henderson of Houston in 1:39 to earn the second silver for the team on the day and his first for the year.

57a8d09d63caa.image.jpg

Sophomore Nate Jones, at 145 pounds, also had a good day, going 4-1 on the day.

He pinned Paul Gorham of Christian Brothers in the first round in 5:16.  In the second match, Jones lost to Millington’s Seth Saigeon by pin in :30.  Saigeon went on to become the tournament champion.  

Jones rebounded by defeating his freshman teammate Shaun Dupuy by pin in 5:11.

Jones finished strong by pinning Logan Dameron of Bartlett in :53, and pinning Christian Flynn of Collierville in 1:01, earning the bronze medal.

To round out the completion and set the team record of everyone pinning an opponent, three freshmen did just that.

Jonathan Barnett (160) pinned Christian Ward of Christian Brothers in 1:02, followed by Shaun Dupuy (145) pinning Logan Dameron of Bartlett in 4:40. The last freshman and Cardinal to finish was William (Braxton) Orsborn, who pinned Gabriel Crooms of Christian Brothers in :35.

“It was a good day,” Johnson said. “I would say a very good day for Brighton wrestling, to compete and pin some of the best JV wrestlers in West Tennessee and give us confidence as move forward in the season.”

57a8d041ebf65.image.jpg

Jeff Ireland is The Leader's sports editor. To contact him, call 901-476-7116 or email jireland@covingtonleader.com.

Edited by Sommers

Bears win battle of champions

TOP-RANKED Bradley Central junior Wesley DeVaney, right, flips Father Ryan's Paul Killian, ranked third in D-II, on his way to a 9-0 victory in the 113-pound match of Thursday evening's Bear victory at Jim Smiddy Arena.
TOP-RANKED Bradley Central junior Wesley DeVaney, right, flips Father Ryan's Paul Killian, ranked third in D-II, on his way to a 9-0 victory in the 113-pound match of Thursday evening's Bear victory at Jim Smiddy Arena.
BANNER PHOTO, JOE CANNON
 Buy this photo
  • 20171208-103513-php4HsBxe.jpg
  • 20171208-103527-phpOJwF5y.jpg
  • 20171208-103522-phpigqgaw.jpg
  • 20171208-103536-phpW51LzY.jpg
  • 20171208-103531-phpp23EUT.jpg
  • 20171208-103535-phpYmCDcL.jpg
  • 20171208-103550-php8svCm8.jpg
  • 20171208-103543-php9fZf1w.jpg
  • 20171208-103547-phpOGdEGg.jpg
  • 20171208-103550-phpLzyCwQ.jpg
  • 20171208-103553-phpzDEHYZ.jpg
  • 20171208-103608-php4kA9yt.jpg
  • 20171208-103613-phpGif2Bw.jpg
  • 20171208-103616-phpr4htaM.jpg
  • 20171208-103619-phpwrxuLS.jpg
  • 20171208-103613-phpzy4EpZ.jpg
  • 20171208-103617-phpMQMav0.jpg
  • 20171208-103621-php9wVwhb.jpg
Posted Friday, December 8, 2017 10:35 am

By JOE CANNON

In a battle of last season’s double state champions, Bradley Central got the best of Father Ryan Thursday night at Jim Smiddy Arena, as both teams tuned up for this weekend’s Cleveland Duals.

“We (Bradley and Father Ryan) have a lot in common,” declared “Papa Bear” Ben Smith after the 51-27 victory.

“They won their 24th and 25th state titles last season, while we won our 25th and 26th. We both graduated a lot of talented wrestlers off those squads and have a bunch of new faces in our lineups. We have very similar programs and have developed a unique brotherhood with each other.

“We’ve practiced together and we’ve gone to their tournament, but as friendly as we are, when we get on the mat, we both want to win.

“You can’t ever count either team out. I saw some growth and fight from our guys that we didn’t have last week. We had a good number of pins (6), but we also gave up too many (4).

“They (FR) are also like us in that they are going to be a lot better come January.”

The team's were ranked seventh (Bears) and eighth (Irish) in the first coaches poll that came out Monday, while Bradley was No. 3 in Wednesday's Pin-TN poll (public schools only). 

Building on the excitement of having the state champion matchup, “a great crowd made for a great atmosphere, plus we got to honor Lake Forest for an unbeaten season,” praised Coach Smith.

The Bruins went 16-0 during the regular season for the first time in school history, including two wins each over rivals Cleveland and Ocoee middle schools, plus winning tournament titles at the Ocoee Duals, Charger Clash and Raider Rumbles.

Led by unbeaten wrestlers Carson Parker, Luke Belcher and Brayden Owens, Coach Ryan Esminger’s sleuth of Bears will go after the TVWC Conference Championship this weekend. 

In Thursday’s varsity action, eight of the first nine matches were pins, with the other being a forfeit that was wrestled as an exhibition and also ended early with a “stick.”

Of the 10 total pins, the host Bears had a half dozen, including a pair of quick ones from second-ranked junior DJ Gibson (:48) and No. 3-ranked senior Kevin Gentry (:56) in the 195- and 220-pound matches respectively.

Junior Skyler Bradley was the only other Bear with an opening-period “stick,” needing just 1:24 in the 152-pound match.

The other Bradley pins came from second-ranked senior Andy Robinson (4:35 of the 145 match), sophomore Gaven Hughes (3:15 at 126) and junior Trey Johnson (5:00 at 182).

The Black-and-Gold also picked up a big 19-4 technical fall by junior Daniel Mroz over fourth-ranked Griffin Habacker, to stop the 120-pound match at the 4:54 mark.

“Mroz is making a name for himself,” praised Coach Smith. “He is growing and maturing. He set the pace we want. I’m pleased to see him go after it.”

After climbing to the top spot in the state at 113, junior Wesley DeVaney held third-ranked (Division II) Paul Killian scoreless for a 9-0 major decision.

“DeVaney is unbeaten so far this season and wrestling really well,” related Coach Smith. “He’s had two big wins over state-ranked opponents (including a pin of former No. 1 Te'Nario Thomas of East Hamilton) this week.”

Although senior Henley Headrick, who is also yet to lose, had to accept a forfeit because his opponent didn’t make weight by a half pound, he wrestled him in an exhibition, putting his shoulders to the mat at the 2:15 mark of the 170 class.

“We got bonus points in all nine of our victories and that’s what you want to see,” proclaimed Coach Smith.

Although the outcome didn’t go Bradley’s way, the match of the night came at 106 where sophomore Glen O’Daniel and Father Ryan’s Thomas Wesnofske were tied before the Irish wrestler was able to come up with an escape in the final 15 seconds for a 3-2 outcome.

A pair of fourth-ranked wrestlers, Lawrence Madson and Joseph Vogelpohl, gave the visitors half their pin victories.

“Father Ryan is a class act,” complimented Coach Smith. “It’s fun competing with them. It’s rare to get a win over them, so we’ll enjoy this one.” 

Match Summary

Bears (BC) 51, Irish (FR) 27

match started at 138

106: Thomas Wesnofske (FR) dec. Glen O'Daniel, 3-2. 113: Wesley DeVaney (BC) major dec. Paul Killian, 9-0. 120: Daniel Mroz (BC) tech. fall Griffin Habacker, 19-4, 4:54. 126: Gaven Hughes (BC) pinned Carlyle McAfee, 3:15. 132: Phillip Rogers (FR) pinned Dillan Tenpenny, 1:55. 138: Lawrence Madson (FR) pinned Ian Marchese, 3:54. 145: Andy Robinson (BC) pinned Louis Marfone, 4:35. 152: Skyler Bradley (BC) pinned Houston Crouch, 1:24. 160: Joseph Vogelpohl (FR) pinned Seth Gerena, 3:14. 170: Henley Headrick (BC) won by forfeit (won exhibition match with pin in 2:15). 182: Trey Johnson (BC) pinned Henry Hagey, 5:00. 195: DJ Gibson (BC) pinned Terrance Otis, :48. 220: Kevin Gentry (BC) pinned Gabriel Holmes, :36. 285: Felix Wilson (FR) pinned Gavin Sewell, 2:43.

CHS wrestling swept at Walker Valley Duals

Posted 12/8/17

The Cookeville High School wrestling team had a tough outing on Thursday at Walker Valley High School as the Cavaliers narrowly lost to the Mustangs 36-29 and were shut out by Cleveland. 77-0.

93c92ece-7543-11e6-ba1f-3b6a2484d940.png

Tornado wrestling kicks off season with Alcoa Duals

It was the perfect chance to knock the rust off.

The Alcoa wrestling team opened the 2017 season with a bang on Thursday night, hosting a handful of area schools, including Greenback, Anderson County, Knox Catholic, Grace Christian, Powell and Farragut in a round robin format.

The event allowed each wrestler from each school to get in three matches in their weight class, spread out across four different mats in the Alcoa gym. Tornado coach Brian Gossett wasn’t overly concerned about wins and losses, he just wanted to see his guys compete early.

“It was good,” Gossett said. “We’ve done this event now for four or five years and we just like it because you can get a lot of kids a lot of mat time. You just try to get them started, and I think this event really helps them do that.”

With so many schools in attendance for a meet in the first week of the season, it gave the Tornadoes an opportunity to see a lot of different competitors, each offering up a unique style in the way they wrestle.

With a long season ahead for an Alcoa team that finished runner-up in last year’s state tournament, being exposed to so many different athletes early is something that could pay dividends later on.

“The more they wrestle the better they get,” Gossett said. “This is just a great opportunity to get in a lot of matches in a hurry. It lets them see a lot of different styles from a lot of different kids from a lot of different schools, and to get this much experience in one day is pretty good.”

Gossett said his team performed much like he expected it to, but even though this meet was more about getting better and gaining experience, his wrestlers still did their part to get into the win column.

Colton Wade picked up a pair of wins and got a bye in his third match for a 2-0 record in the meet, while Alexander Richardson was 3-0 with wins over Grace Christian, Carter and Anderson County.

Grant Brace also won both his matches, he sat out the last match with a bye, knocking off wrestlers from Clinton and South Doyle. Trey Jones then picked up wins over a pair of Catholic wrestlers for a 2-0 finish.I thought we wrestled about like I expected us to. Some of our guys are in right from football, so they did pretty well for us,” Gossett said. “We kind of have to get started this year before we can start building, and I thought for the most part we did a good job getting started tonight.

“I thought Grant Brace looked pretty good tonight and so did Trey Jones. Both of those guys are coming back from last year. We had a lot of new kids out there tonight too, and I thought all of those kids wrestled pretty good out there.”

From here Alcoa simply looks to improve early in the season, traveling to a pair of individual tournaments in the coming weeks, as the Tornadoes hope to use December, and the Christmas Break that comes with it, to their advantage.”

“We’re going to go to a tournament Saturday, then we’re going to have a week’s worth of practice and go to another individual tournament after that,” Gossett said. “Christmas is going to be pretty valuable for us, just giving us a lot of time to practice and compete and hopefully set the tone a little bit for the season.”

Follow @Taylor_White94 on Twitter for more from sports writer Taylor White.
Edited by Sommers

hc-nameplate.png
Toggle navigationMain menu

Roundup: UHS wrestling hosts first meet ever

Posted 12/9/17

The Upperman High School Bees will be making history on Tuesday afternoon when they host their first-ever wrestling match when Livingston Academy visits Baxter.

Ky powerhouse takes on the Iron Man of all Iron Mans and

Cleveland's recent opponent Wyoming Seminary makes some noise...

Walsh Jesuit Ironman Wrestling Tournament

TEAM STANDINGS: 1. Blair Academy 249.52, 2. St. Paris Graham196.53, 3. Wyoming Seminary (PA) 158.54, 4. Montini Catholic (IL) 158.05, 5.Lake Highland Prep (FL) 128.56, 6. St. Edward 114.07, 7. Christian Brothers College (MO) 101.58, 8. Cincinnati LaSalle 81.59, 9. Malvern Prep (PA) 71.010, 10. Massillon Perry 70.511, 11. Bethlehem Catholic (PA) 67.012, 12. Parkersburg South (WV) 67.013, 13. Allen (TX) 65.014, 14. Mount Carmel (IL) 62.015, 15. Ponderosa (CO) 62.016, 16. Cuyahoga Valley Christian Academy 57.017, 17. Cincinnati Elder 57.018, 18. Wadsworth 54.519, 19. McDonogh School (MD) 51.020, 20. Christiansburg (VA) 48.021, 21. Lockport Township (IL) 47.022, 22. Selma (CA) 47.023, 23. St John Bosco (CA) 44.024, 25. Brecksville-Broadview Heights 41.025, 26. Marysville 41.026, 27. Olentangy Liberty 37.027, 28. Tampa Preparatory School (FL) 36.028, 29. Broken Arrow (OK) 35.029, 30. Pomona (CO) 34.030, 31. Corona Santiago (CA) 34.031, 32. Clovis (CA) 33.032, 33. Box Elder (UT) 31.033, 34. Elyria 31.034, 35. Wauseon 31.035, 36. Marmion Academy (IL) 30.036, 37. Rancho Bernardo (CA) 27.037, 38. Reynolds (PA) 27.038, 39. Genoa Area 26.539, 40. St Vincent-St. Mary 26.540, 41. Castle View (CO) 26.041, 42. Lake Catholic 24.042, 43. Massillon Jackson 22.043, 44. Lancaster 21.044, 45. Brewster (NY) 20.045, 46. Carrboro (NC) 20.046, 47. Clovis North (CA) 19.047, 48. Del Oro (CA) 17.048, 49. Hilliard Darby 17.049, 50. Laurel Highlands (PA) 14.550, 51. Brunswick 14.051, 52. Oregon Clay 14.052, 53. Union County (KY) 14.053, 54. Aurora 13.054, 55. St. Ignatius 12.055, 56. Oak Glen (WV) 11.056, 57. Air Academy (CO) 10.057, 58. Burlington Central (IL) 10.058, 59. Hauppauge (NY) 10.059, 60. Grand Junction (CO) 8.060, 61. Medina 8.061, 62.Weir (WV) 8.062, 63. Delray Beach American Heritage (FL) 7.063, 64. Circleville 7.064, 65. Mercersburg Academy (PA) 7.065, 66. San Marino (CA) 7.066, 67. Ashtabula St. John 7.067. 68. St. Mary`s Ryken (MD) 7.068, 69. George Washington 6.069, 70. Germantown Academy (PA) 6.070, 71. Scottsbluff (NE) 6.071, 72. Benedictine College Preparatory (VA) 5.072, 73. Carrollton 5.073, 74. Walsh Jesuit 5.074, 75. St. Christopher (VA) 4.075, 76. Steubenville 4.076 77. Temescal Canyon (CA) 4.077, 78. Amherst County (VA) 3.078, 79. Layton (UT) 3.079, 80. Palo Cedro Foothill (CA) 2.080, 81. Butler 0.081, 82. Akron Manchester 0.082, 83. Pueblo County (CO) 0.083, 84. Trinity Christian Academy (TX) 0.084, 85.Warren 0.0.

Slamfest Coverage up in Illinois...

Marion wrestling goes 3-2 at tournament

updated: 12/10/2017 11:30 PM

CLARKSVILLE, Tenn. -- The Marion High School wrestling team went 3-2 at the tough Clarksville Slamfest duals tournament on Saturday.

Sixteen teams competed at the tournament which is considered by many as the best dual tournament in Tennessee.Marion entered the day with a 7-0 record but suffered its first loss against Houston (Tenn.) by a 42-27 score. Houston finished the day 4-1 and only lost to eventual champion Rossview (Tenn.).

Rossview was also in Marion's pool and handed the Wildcats a 60-12 loss.

"They exploited a lot of our weaknesses that we need to fix," Marion coach Brandon Page said of the tough Rossview squad.

Marion was then put into a win-or-go-home situation and defeated Hopkinsville (Ky.) to move into a consolation bracket, where the first opponent was Hendersonville (Tenn.) and Marion won the match, 54-28.

The Wildcats then wrestled Overton (Tenn.) and won 48-33.

"Overton gave us a butt-kicking last year," Page said. "We peaked at the right time for the final match. We had unexpected wins from Thomas Dudley and Michael Cerv, who got his first victory of the year to seal the match. It was an exciting match."

Marion's Jade Nappier competed in the women's division and went 2-0, the first wins of her high school career.

The Wildcats as a team now have a 10-2 record.

"We are banged, bruised, and beat up from (the tournament) but we learned a lot," Page said. "Being able to experience that level of competition was important for the growth of our team."

Marion wrestles at home Wednesday against Pinckneyville at 6 p.m.

Knoxville wrestler inspires both on and off the mat

Meet wrestler Kenya Sloan

By Lauren Cash | 
Posted: Mon 12:00 PM, Dec 11, 2017  | 
Updated: Mon 12:00 PM, Dec 11, 2017
Social-Facebook-34.png Social-Twitter-34.png Social-LinkedIn-34.png Social-Google-34.png Social-Email-34.png Social-Print-34.png

KNOXVILLE, Tenn. (WVLT) -- As a kid, Kenya Sloan had the look.

sloan7.jpg

"Just that wrestler's face, the demeanor, not everybody has that," her head coach Junior Hernandez said.

It's her talent and skill that makes Kenya one of the top female wrestlers in the country, and it all started nearly ten years ago.

"I first got into wrestling with my younger brother. Junior walked over and said, 'Kenya you're always here and you're always watching, you're learning, why don't you put some shoes on and try it?' I never looked back since," Kenya Sloan said.

In a sport dominated by guys, trying to find a girl to compete against was difficult.

"She wrestled against the boys, so I challenged her to beat this guy, especially a guy that beat her. She was able to get coached and beat the kid and progress. Just progressing every year, never see a ceiling just keep moving forward," Hernandez added.

What initially was a hobby evolved into a way of life for Kenya.

"Honestly, wrestling is something that's developed me as a person more than anything else. It's done something to my spirit, I'm more of a fighter I'd say. It's given me a warrior-like spirit," Kenya said.

That warrior-like spirit has helped her reach heights in the sport she never thought she'd reach. Over the summer, she competed at the national level for the first time and won, but there is one title she didn't expect to wear: role model.

"I feel blessed with the position I have, God's prepared me to be a leader in this area. It's an honor to me to meet athletes that say, 'I admire you I want to be like you and do what you do.' I think about it daily and it makes part of what I do worth it," Kenya said.

Kenya has begun making an impact not just when she steps on to the mat, but off the mat just by being herself.

"Without her, I think wrestling would be dull. She brings somebody that you don't want to lose to. At the same time someone who's pushing it, I gotta push. She's an inspiration in any wrestling room she goes into," Hernandez added.

Inspiring wrestlers both young and old, male or female and making a difference in the process.

Blackman undefeated (5-0) in Ohio...

http://www.dnj.com/story/sports/high-school/2017/12/11/basketball-standouts-join-1-000-point-club/939565001/

The closest match for Blackman was in the finale, a 43-34 win over Lebanon (Ohio).

In other matches, Blackman defeated Covington Catholic (Park Hills, Ky.) 82-0, Lakota East (Ohio) 58-22, Oak Hills 52-21 and Bellbrook (Ohio) 66-7.

Blackman wrestlers Alex Rose (106 pounds), Brooks Sacharczyk (160), Landon Fowler (170) and Jamil Hughes (285) all went unbeaten on the day.

The Blaze are ranked 13th in the Tennessee Wrestling Coaches poll.

Edited by Sommers

Alpharetta ice rink to host NCAA wrestling meet, featuring Ohio State

12:21 p.m Monday, Dec. 11, 2017  Neighborhoods

NEIGHBORHOODS
Crowdfunding%20the%20Games%20Olym%20(1)_2583x1616.JPG
VIEW CAPTION

Ever wrestled on the ice?

Probably not intentionally. Maybe you wrestled with yourself in a struggle to get back up after falling over on the slippery surface.

But on Sunday, wrestling will be the main purpose of one ice rink in north Fulton County. The Cooler in Alpharetta will roll out the mats to host an NCAA wrestling meet between Ohio State and the University of Tennessee at Chattanooga.

The match is set for 2 p.m. and tickets are $20.

The Buckeyes won the NCAA team championship for Division I wrestling in 2015 and were runners-up to Penn State last season. Ohio State is ranked No. 2 in the USA Today/NWCA Coaches Poll this season.

Ohio State’s roster carries a few decorated wrestlers, including Myles Martin and Kyle Snyder. Martin is a two-time All-American and won an NCAA title in 2016 in the 174-pound class.

Snyder is an Olympic Gold Medalist, winning at the Rio games in 2016, and a two-time NCAA champion in the 285-pound class. The senior is also a three-time All-American.

Chattanooga has the only Division I wrestling program in the state of Tennessee and have been very successful. Since 1991, the Mocs have placed at every NCAA tournament and won the Southern Conference championship 18 times.

The Mocs are led by senior Bryce Carr, who won the Southern Conference championship in the 184-pound class last year and qualified for the NCAA tournament. He has wrestled at 174 this season, and could be matched up against Ohio State’s Martin on Saturday.

Sunday’s match is hosted by the Atlanta Takedown Association and before the match there will be a demonstration clinic featuring coaching staffs from each team and Snyder. In addition to the meet ticket, there is an extra $10 fee to attend. The event flyer urges the public to bring their video cameras and to use this time as a meet-and-greet with wrestlers.

Weigh-ins for the meet begin at 1 p.m. After the match, there will be light food and a cash bar at Finley’s, a restaurant inside The Cooler.

The Cooler is located at 10800 Davis Drive in Alpharetta. Tickets can be purchased online at Ticket Leap.

So-far-so-good-Science-Hill-wrestlers-of
previous.png
Arthur James is the state's top-ranked wrestler at 145 pounds.
Jimmy Miller is hoping his team can outwork the opposition.
Arthur James is the state's top-ranked wrestler at 145 pounds.
Jimmy Miller is hoping his team can outwork the opposition.
next.png

Robert Kell/CreativeStoryVisuals.com

1 / 2 Jimmy Miller is hoping his team can outwork the opposition.

javento.jpg
HIGH SCHOOL WRESTLING 

So far so good: Science Hill wrestlers off to fast start

JOE AVENTO • UPDATED DEC 11, 2017 AT 6:33 PM

A pretty special season is taking shape for the Science Hill High School wrestling team.

The Hilltoppers are ranked second among public schools in the Tennessee High School wrestling poll, and Coach Jimmy Miller says his team works for everything it gets. That’s just the way he likes it.

“We’re ranked high, but our kids are just kids, blue-collar kids,” Miller said Monday. “They work hard. We may not have the best talent across the state, but our kids are going to outwork other kids.”

The Hilltoppers are 9-1 and coming off a fourth-place finish in the Cleveland Duals, a meet that boasted nine teams ranked in the state poll.

Among the wins in Cleveland were a 32-31 decision over defending state champion and third-ranked Bradley Central, a 31-30 victory over Baylor, ranked No. 3 in Division II, and a 49-18 thrashing of Knox Halls, ranked sixth among public schools. The Hilltoppers’ only loss was a 36-21 setback to Christian Brothers, ranked second in Division II.

“It was a rough weekend, a bloodbath down there,” Miller said. “You’re banging with a lot of good teams, battling for every point you get. There’s no rounds off, no easy matches. Our schedule is tough and we’re going to keep putting our kids in bad situations and see how we respond. We keep challenging them each and every week.”

On Monday, a day before a home meet with Jefferson County and Lee County, Virginia, Miller took his wrestlers into the film room to watch their matches from the weekend. Then it was into the gym to get things corrected.

“We keep working to get better,” Miller said. “The weekend was tough. I didn’t know what to expect. I didn’t know if our kids could handle five tough matches. I keep challenging them and they keep proving me wrong.”

Peaking at the right time is the key, but that’s not as easy as it sounds in such a physically and mentally demanding sport.

“That’s a hard one to pin down,” Miller said. “We have to really work hard on getting better each and every week, knowing there is room for us to get better, room to grow. We have to figure out how to be the best we can be in February, pray we stay healthy and take a shot at this thing and see what happens.”

The Hilltoppers have six wrestlers ranked among the top 10 in the state at their respective weight classes. The latest rankings came out Monday.

It all starts with Arthur James, who is ranked No. 1 in the state at 145 pounds. James, who made the semifinals in the state tournament last year, is 15-3 so far this season.

Chase Diehl is ranked second at 160 with a 17-0 record, while Tyler Seeley (19-1) is third at 120. Freshman Braxton Mann (11-2) is fourth at 113, Luke Story (20-1) is fifth at 138 and Joseph Frye (16-5) is sixth at 132.

Tuesday’s meet at Science Hill starts at 6 p.m. The Hilltoppers will also put on the Tony Farrace Duals on Saturday, when they will play host to top teams from Tennessee, Alabama and West Virginia.

Schools joining Science Hill in Saturday’s event, which starts at 9 a.m., will be Brentwood Academy, Maryville, Morristown West, Independence Parkersburg South (West Virginia), Riverside (West Virginia) and Grissom (Alabama).

Some of you may remember from the Jefferson City area...

Midway Names Brumbelow As First-ever Wrestling Coach

Published Monday, December 11, 2017 - 03:30 PM 

3da5ehm045j88l7zwl8hnw70qw61ud-pre.jpg

Midway, Ky. -- Midway University athletic director, Rusty Kennedy, has announced the hiring of Jake Brumbelow as the first-ever head coach for the inaugural Midway wrestling program, which is set to make its debut in fall 2018. 

"I am excited to welcome Jake Brumbelow to Midway University as our first-ever head wrestling coach," said Kennedy. "Jake stood out among a very impressive pool of applicants we had for our position."

Kennedy added, "His history of success and experience of starting two prior wrestling programs at the college level really impressed us and will allow us to be better prepared with the challenges of starting our program."

Starting a program from scratch is a challenge, but it is one Brumbelow has faced twice before with success, at Emmanuel College and Brenton-Parker College.

Brumbelow comes to Midway after a three year stint as the head coach at Emmanuel College, an NCAA Division II program located in Franklin Springs, Georgia. He became the head coach in 2014 and started the program from its initial stages in 2015.

During his time with the Lions, they won consecutive National Collegiate Wrestling Association (NCWA) National Titles during the 2016 and 2017 seasons. During those two years, Brumbelow led the Lions to a 24-13 dual meet record.

Brumbelow also experienced individual success during his time at Emmanuel. In 2016, he was named the NCWA Coach of the Year and then in 2017 Brumbelow was named the NCAA DII Eastern Collegiate Athletics Conference Coach of the Year.

Prior to starting the program at Emmanuel, Brumbelow also did the same at Brewton-Parker College in Mount Vernon, Georgia. He started the program in 2012 and posted back-to-back winning seasons, while also making national tournament appearances at the NAIA level.

Brumbelow started his coaching career West Virginia Tech when he became the head coach in 2009. He served as the Golden Bears head coach for two seasons.

"I would like to thank Rusty Kennedy and the hiring committee for the opportunity to develop the wrestling program at Midway University," said Brumbelow. "It is an exciting time to join the rapidly growing athletic department."

Prior to getting into coaching, Brumbelow enjoyed a successful wrestling career at Carson-Newman College in Jefferson City, Tennessee where he was nationally ranked at 133 lbs., while also compiling over 140 career wins.

"I can't tell you how excited I am to watch the growth of Midway wrestling," added Kennedy.

While also wrestling at Carson Newman, Brumbelow obtained his Bachelor of Science in Humans with Exceptionalities as well his Masters of Science degree in Counseling.

Any prospective students interested in learning more about the wrestling program are asked to reach out to Coach Brumbelow at jbrumbelow@midway.edu or 678.357.2165. Interested student-athletes can also fill out the recruiting questionnaire which can be found here.

Edited by Sommers