Goodpasture Invitational

Hamblin

Goodpasture Christian will host it's first wrestling invitational tournament Saturday, Jan 14, 2017. We currently have 8 teams committed and we are looking for at least 8 more. As of now this will be a varsity only tournament but that could change, For more information email me at hamblinconstruction@yahoo.com

Goodpasture.

Lipscomb.

DCA.

Nolensville.

Eagleville.

Hume Fogg.

Greenbrier.

East Nashville.

Edited by Hamblin

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...

Would it not be correct to say that if schools are entering their "B" team or Junior Varsity teams the tournament must be registered as a Junior Varsity Tournament and not a Varsity Tournament?  Unless I am wrong if this is registered with the TSSAA as a varsity tournament it will cost the school a tournament date even if they send their JV. 

it does not have to be registered as a JV tournament but you are right it will count as one of the 18 dates you are allotted to compete.  my varsity are only wrestling 16 varsity dates so that I can send my B team to 2 varsity tournaments for the experience

Why not just register the tournament as a JV Tournament so that some of the elite teams are not forced to sacrifice a varsity date? 

Cbg.....I am not sure who you are or why it matters to you why I made this a varsity event but I will spend a moment to explain it to you. We are building a program. Programs take money to operate. Although Goodpasture is in good shape financially I believe it is important for a sports program, of any proportion, should earn their keep. I believe it helps teach the kids to understand the hand up philosophy instead of the hand out. Running a tournament, as much as a headache as it can be will help our program earn money. If a school has the numbers to support a second varsity squad and they choose to use a date to do 2 events that same day then that is their business. No rules broken here. I commend them for getting their kids mat time. I cannot for the life of me understand why people offer their opinion about things that do not effect them in any way. Maybe they are bored, with it being off season, or maybe they are just being nosey. Either way, with all due respect I will operate my program the way I see fit and you run yours the way you see fit and I promise I will not question your motives if you promise to respect mine. Thank you.

Cbg.....I am not sure who you are or why it matters to you why I made this a varsity event but I will spend a moment to explain it to you. We are building a program. Programs take money to operate. Although Goodpasture is in good shape financially I believe it is important for a sports program, of any proportion, should earn their keep. I believe it helps teach the kids to understand the hand up philosophy instead of the hand out. Running a tournament, as much as a headache as it can be will help our program earn money. If a school has the numbers to support a second varsity squad and they choose to use a date to do 2 events that same day then that is their business. No rules broken here. I commend them for getting their kids mat time. I cannot for the life of me understand why people offer their opinion about things that do not effect them in any way. Maybe they are bored, with it being off season, or maybe they are just being nosey. Either way, with all due respect I will operate my program the way I see fit and you run yours the way you see fit and I promise I will not question your motives if you promise to respect mine. Thank you.

I understand what you are saying but I am not sure that you understand what I am trying to say.  Example:  If Bradley Central, Baylor, Cleveland, etc...are trying to find good events for their JV they could possibly want to attend your tournament but they more than likely do not want to give up two varsity dates.  Everyone knows that those teams often have kids that could reach the state finals but are stuck wrestling behind kids that are state champions.  Good luck with your team!