Top AAA teams in 2016-17

SweetScience

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Who is better Lomax or Freeman(Southwind)?

Freeman is a scoring guard but he's unselfish sometimes also. The only thing he does better than Lomax may be scoring. Its hard to judge this with Lomax being in the situation he's in. Maybe if teams were even it would be easier to see. Lomax played up on 17u EYBL all year when he shouldve played 15u (probably bc he's use to managing more talented players around him). Freeman spent time on both the 16u(playing beside the playermaker Taelyr Gatlin who distributes better than anyone in the area) and 17u, that could be a sign. 

TonyG,

DJ is the best player in the area by far. This kid is the truth.

Just out of curiosity I looked at ESPN's Top 25 for the 2019 class to see where Chandler was listed and I found the following:

No. 4.) D.J. Jeffries, Olive Branch, MS, SF, 6'-7", 190 Lbs., 5 Stars

No. 10) Chandler Lawson, Memphis, TN, PF, 6'-6", 195 Lbs., 5 Stars

Now I know Chandler is 6'-9" and not 6'-6", but I didn't even think that I would see D.J. listed. But from what you guys have been saying this is in agreement with your assessments. I thought that was pretty cool.

Might I add that the sophomore class of 2018 doesn't have any of the Memphis players listed. However, ESPN lists the Top 60 on that list. The junior and senior classes list the Top 100. (Coach Tubby has a top 100 on the 2017 class already committed)

Anyway ... I thought that was interesting.

Edited by kwc

Just out of curiosity I looked at ESPN's Top 25 for the 2019 class to see where Chandler was listed and I found the following:

No. 4.) D.J. Jeffries, Olive Branch, MS, SF, 6'-7", 190 Lbs., 5 Stars

No. 10) Chandler Lawson, Memphis, TN, PF, 6'-6", 195 Lbs., 5 Stars

Now I know Chandler is 6'-9" and not 6'-6", but I didn't even think that I would see D.J. listed. But from what you guys have been saying this is in agreement with your assessments. I thought that was pretty cool.

Might I add that the sophomore class of 2018 doesn't have any of the Memphis players listed. However, ESPN lists the Top 60 on that list. The junior and senior classes list the Top 100. (Coach Tubby has a top 100 on the 2017 class already committed)

Anyway ... I thought that was interesting.

DJ will be huge for Memphis to get, but we have a long time to go lol. 

Moss isn't top 60 worthy, im sorry i do not see it. He has offers and alot of attention, but I just do not see it. Shooters live a long career but his athleticism is average at best, and sometimes doesn't play within the flow of the game. 

The 2017 commit  that you mentioned is Khalil Garland, the kid is big time! 6'5 with pointguard skills! He was the star player for team penny until penny flew in John Petty, but he can hold his own no matter who's on the court. He'll have to add a couple pounds on the next level but he's not Will Barton frail or anything like that. He's legit, from little rock and I would bet that if he was from memphis he would be a top 35 player at least. The only reason I think he isn't higher on ranking boards is probably his lack of highlight tapes online. He has a teammate that graduates in 2017 also, Javon Franklin. I hope Tubby gives him a look also, he's not the typical high major recruit bc he isn't as skilled but everything he lacks in skill he makes up for in athleticism, heart, and hustle. 6'6 with around a 40" vertical, kid reminds me so much of DJ Stephens with the energy he brings to his team. They attend Parkview Magnet and have won 6A state 3 years straight, so they are doing something right. 

Garland(3), Franklin (22), Petty (23), Washington(25), Lomax(2)

Explain why it's not even close? Freeman led his team to Substate and he didn't have as many weapons as Lomax to compliment him.

Freeman has to score to impact the game just like Tyler Harris. Lomax can change a game on his defense alone. He is built like a full back and has excellent court vision.