Three classes for soccer!

1925Kee

Club soccer is a big part of the community support I am talking about. Again, I will use Rhea County as an example. They started a grassroots club so their players will play more than just during high school season, and younger players will start playing soccer earlier than August of their freshman year of high school. 

Classifying teams by how many club players is patently absurd and ridiculous. I guess football classifications should be classified by how many 7-on-7 camps players attend.

It's the biggest difference maker in high school soccer. True, you can't have a club player litmus test. But you can make an assessment as to teams that typically carry club players and teams that typically don't. Here's one example: private schools often have a high percentage of club players. Large suburban teams often have a high percentage of club players. Rural county schools often have a very low percentage of club players--if they have any at all.

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's fascinating that no matter how often an argument is presented, the other side will only hear what they want to hear. No one is saying "remove competition!" They are saying make the classifications fair. Try to get parity in district matchups.

There's no argument that the big equalizer is community support. No argument whatsoever. However, the truth is, some places offer that support and some places don't. Some places have much better access to club opportunities. Some communities do far more to support club opportunities. It's fascinating that winning programs are slow to acknowledge just how much impact club activities have on high school soccer programs. No surprise: If you have a high school team that is heavily laced with club players, they are going to do very well against teams that don't have club players. There's simply no argument to that. Makes sense, then, to attempt to pair teams that have similar makeups: Lots of club players in one classification, very little or no club players in another classification.

Wouldn't that make sense?

Instead, winning programs are quick to sell the idea that, hey "We just work harder than you do." In some cases that's true. But not always true. If classifications were more reasonable, then "hard work" would in fact be a big factor in success. Lopsided matchups, however, do not indicate "hard work" by the winning team. In many cases, the winning team could sleep walk to a victory.

No offense but this is laughable. So let's give classifications for how many kids play travel soccer? I mean come on. So what you would like by your comment is a Great teams division state champ, a good team division state champs, a bad teams division state champ. Let's give everyone a trophy. Greeneville didn't complain getting beat and was always the last public school left for years and finally broke through last year because of hard work. It's not just soccer it's any sport. I knew of many athletes that have traveled from Greeneville to knoxville for training at facilities such as D1, the yard, and even played club soccer in knoxville. There is a thing called sacrifices to hard work. Championship aren't given they are earned Edited by Swipes

It's the biggest difference maker in high school soccer. True, you can't have a club player litmus test. But you can make an assessment as to teams that typically carry club players and teams that typically don't. Here's one example: private schools often have a high percentage of club players. Large suburban teams often have a high percentage of club players. Rural county schools often have a very low percentage of club players--if they have any at all.

So would you classify Greene County suburban or rural?

So what you would like by your comment is a Great teams division state champ, a good team division state champs, a bad teams division state champ.

This is what is now happening, under the names A, AA and AAA. Throw in two classes in DII and you have five total. Are you suggesting all that should be thrown out so that there is one state champ?

See above response in regard to classification for club soccer. No, you can't go by that alone. But you can make reasonable assumptions in an effort to create parity.

This is what is now happening, under the names A, AA and AAA. Throw in two classes in DII and you have five total. Are you suggesting all that should be thrown out so that there is one state champ?

See above response in regard to classification for club soccer. No, you can't go by that alone. But you can make reasonable assumptions in an effort to create parity.

That is not what is happening now and it's sad you don't see that. The new system is getting all privates to play against other privates because most public schools have been crying.for years. The new classifications are giving those smaller schools a chance like you wanted so I don't know why your upset and now want it instead to be based off how many club players you have on your team. I know plenty of smaller school that beat larger school all the time. So no just because your classified as A or AA doesn't mean your a bad team or a good team unlike your comment. You want it to base classifications off of performance not student population which once again is driven by sacrifices and community support not how many student you have in your school. Edited by Swipes

So would you classify Greene County suburban or rural?

If I had nothing else to go by, I'd classify it as rural. I'm not calling for a  "perfect" system--nothing is perfect. But I do think there's room for improvement.

Now, once I see Greeneville wipe the floor with multiple rural schools, it might call attention to a disparity. Maybe a re-classification would be due for the following year. Of course, Greeneville itself might call for re-classification so that it would be paired with better competition. You're not saying there's no room for improvement, are you?

That is not what is happening now and it's sad you don't see that. The new system is getting all privates to play against other privates because most public schools have been crying.for years. The new classifications are giving those smaller schools a chance like you wanted so I don't know why your upset and now want it instead to be based off how many club players you have on your team. I know plenty of smaller school that beat larger school all the time. So no just because your classified as A or AA doesn't mean your a bad team unlike your comment you want it to base classifications off of performance not student population which once again is driven by sacrifices and community support not how many student you have in your school.

Wow. You really are missing my whole point. I'm not the least bit upset. I'm happy with the new classification. I think it's a step in the right direction. Did you read my earlier post? I said you can't classify based upon club participation. I did say you can make assumptions about where the heaviest club activity is and plan accordingly.

I didn't use the language "bad" team. You did. I'm interested in putting teams together in a way that makes sense. You seem to be fighting me on that. Not sure why. I guess you think I'm slamming Greeneville. I'm not. More power to them. Hope they win state.

If I had nothing else to go by, I'd classify it as rural. I'm not calling for a "perfect" system--nothing is perfect. But I do think there's room for improvement.

Now, once I see Greeneville wipe the floor with multiple rural schools, it might call attention to a disparity. Maybe a re-classification would be due for the following year. Of course, Greeneville itself might call for re-classification so that it would be paired with better competition. You're not saying there's no room for improvement, are you?

Greeneville already wipes the floor with these other rural schools, they also beat school twice the size of them and is the best team in East TN this year if not the whole state.

Im not saying there isn't room for improvement but to say you should base classifications on how many club soccer players you have on your team is once again laughable. That's the same as saying well most of your team plays travel baseball so you have to play in AAA, or your team has players that play AAU basketball so you have to move up. No high sanction in the USA does it that way.

You hit the nail on the head! Success in any sport depends on support from the community - whether that community be a town, county, church, or religious faith. And by support, I mean money, time, encouragement. The Notre Dame community doesn't really support bowling, so our bowling team isn't very good and very dependent on a student signing up who happens to be good at bowling. We love soccer, though, and throw a lot of support behind it. Rhea County is another example of a community that decided to throw time and resources behind their soccer community. Every year, they incrementally improve.

It's fascinating to me that some fans and some coaches think that the great equalizer is to just remove competition.The equalizer is community support. 

Amen!!  Look at Williamson County!!  Their community supports soccer like crazy and year-to-year have amazing teams advance successfully in the post-season (Franklin, Ravenwood, Brentwood, Independence and Centennial).  All pubs and no privates in that bunch! :rolleyes:  

Wow. You really are missing my whole point. I'm not the least bit upset. I'm happy with the new classification. I think it's a step in the right direction. Did you read my earlier post? I said you can't classify based upon club participation. I did say you can make assumptions about where the heaviest club activity is and plan accordingly.

I didn't use the language "bad" team. You did. I'm interested in putting teams together in a way that makes sense. You seem to be fighting me on that. Not sure why. I guess you think I'm slamming Greeneville. I'm not. More power to them. Hope they win state.

I've read every post you have writen and I believe that it's laughable when it comes to trying to classify. I understand I use the Great team division to bad team division and response was "Well that's what they are doing now with the A, AA, AAA" which is not true.

It's not that your slamming Greeneville it's your slamming any team that has sacrificed and actually put in alot of work to get their program were it is and now want it to not be based off how ever other sport is classifies and that's by school population

Edited by Swipes