Upperman at Cookeville Week 1

daddykriley

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 post in and your already asking for my account to be suspended....? All I'm trying to say is that enrollment is not as big of a factor. The original conversation was how Upperman is growing and that they will be competing at a high level just based on numbers this just doesn't add up. Yes more depth, yes more players to choose from, but state championships NO. Out of the top 5 schools based on enrollment there is only one state title between them. If enrollment was. HUGE factor as you stated then theses teams would have more than 1 state title. A good coach goes a long ways in high school football. Hope your team has one!

There must be some confusion in what were saying and what your interpreting. Were not saying more kids equals championships. They have to play other teams that are of equal size so they cannot easily obtain a championship. What we are saying is if a 6a only had to play 3a teams all season then Cookeville or other 6a schools would have MANY titles. Either you are wrong or the whole high school football system since day 1 and all of us are wrong. Again, just to reiterate it means you have more kids and numbers always will give you more chances to have more talent, not championships because you have to play other schools at your level and talent.  

There must be some confusion in what were saying and what your interpreting. Were not saying more kids equals championships. They have to play other teams that are of equal size so they cannot easily obtain a championship. What we are saying is if a 6a only had to play 3a teams all season then Cookeville or other 6a schools would have MANY titles. Either you are wrong or the whole high school football system since day 1 and all of us are wrong. Again, just to reiterate it means you have more kids and numbers always will give you more chances to have more talent, not championships because you have to play other schools at your level and talent.

You said it was a huge factor. The tssaa has distracts that keep enrollment a small factor.

I agree the number of students in your school is a small Factor to wins on the football field. Maryville for instance should be in 5A based on the student enrollment numbers. Instead that used to dominate 6A LOL

2300 playing 1400 students is no big deal if the 1400 school program is run like Maryville. But like when CHS, 2300, was playing Monterey, 340, no way really you can compete with that much an enrollment difference. 

The size of the school not determining the strength of the team ridiculous.....?

2014 enrollment: football state champs:

Since 1998

Cookeville:2201. 0

Maryville:1126. 10

Upperman:740. 0

Alcoa:566. 8

open zoning near talent rich Knox county is a big factor in that. Not starting that controversy but is a factor. Name one public school outside of Blount County where enrollment doesn't factor in? For example, score was 20-7 before UHS #1 kid on defense, the LB went down. They put some freshman looking kid in and CHS starting running it down their  throat. That more than just a consequence. Its all about depth. 

I'm not saying that numbers doesn't have any thing to do with good programs, but a great coach goes a long ways. These numbers backs what I'm trying to say. The post I was committing on( an Upperman fan) was saying that Upperman will be a better team, and possibly beat Cookeville as there enrollment increases. It will help some ,but NO WAY Ben Herron is a better coach than jimmy Maynard. They will not beat Cookeville this year or 5 yrs from now. Love me some bees ,but these are just the facts enrollment numbers hardely equals wins.

I am a huge Maynard fan. But look at Maynard's record in his first 5 years as a head coach compared to Herron's. Was he 6-3 in the playoffs, with 3 region titles, and a semi-final appearance? in his 3rd,4th,5th season did he go each year to the 2nd round of playoffs or further? They both inherited equally awe-full Upperman programs.  Maynard in 1993 2a, and Herron in 2011 3a. Both went to the semi finals in the 3rd year, 1996 finishing 11-3, 2013 finishing 13-1. Maynard has the edge in experience, enrollment, and facilities at Cookeville, yes. Better coach would like comparing Butch Jones to Mack Brown.....way to early to determine that. 

Edited by UpperCumberlandMan

I'm not saying that numbers doesn't have any thing to do with good programs, but a great coach goes a long ways. These numbers backs what I'm trying to say. The post I was committing on( an Upperman fan) was saying that Upperman will be a better team, and possibly beat Cookeville as there enrollment increases. It will help some ,but NO WAY Ben Herron is a better coach than jimmy Maynard. They will not beat Cookeville this year or 5 yrs from now. Love me some bees ,but these are just the facts enrollment numbers hardely equals wins.

http://herald-citizen.com/stories/chs-takes-first-and-second-at-golf-capital-classic,16776?

I am a huge Maynard fan. But look at Maynard's record in his first 5 years as a head coach compared to Herron's. Was he 6-3 in the playoffs, with 3 region titles, and a semi-final appearance? in his 3rd,4th,5th season did he go each year to the 2nd round of playoffs or further? They both inherited equally awe-full Upperman programs.  Maynard in 1993 2a, and Herron in 2011 3a. Both went to the semi finals in the 3rd year, 1996 finishing 11-3, 2013 finishing 13-1. Maynard has the edge in experience, enrollment, and facilities at Cookeville, yes. Better coach would like comparing Butch Jones to Mack Brown.....way to early to determine that.

Yeah...Maynord only won 9-10 games a year over 14 years at SC. He had 2 semis and a few quarters appearances. Several region or district titles. SC's facilities were awful when he came there. SC usually had close to if not the smallest enrollment in their region or district in all of those years. They rarely finished lower than 2nd in the region. Herrin has done a good job at the U. I would take Maynord over him anytime.