recruiting

OLDSCHOOL44

Can someone with Knowledge Of tssaa rules tell me if it's illegal My Nephew Was PLAYING in a middle school jamboree after the game the high school athletic director and middle school head with his assistant coaches went out of there way to go out on the field and talk with him they did not wate for him or walk down the side line with there team they made a effort to make sure and go talk to him I am over all this they are making things hard on him and grandmother

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Can someone with Knowledge Of tssaa rules tell me if it's illegal My Nephew Was PLAYING in a middle school jamboree after the game the high school athletic director and middle school head with his assistant coaches went out of there way to go out on the field and talk with him they did not wate for him or walk down the side line with there team they made a effort to make sure and go talk to him I am over all this they are making things hard on him and grandmother

If these folks were from a DII school, it is perfectly legal, rude but legal. If they were from a DI public, then there is a violation. I'm a little fuzzy on rules for DI private. Also, it is not a violation if these folks were not faculty or staff (ie alumn, school board member, etc). Sounds like they were faculty and or staff, so you would need to know what school they were from.

Edited by fallguy17

Not illegal to talk to a kid. He didn't mention what the conversation included. It's not illegal to tell a kid how good he is or even promote your school or your program. It is only illegal if there are "inappropriate benefits" received by the player. So a coach can tell little Johnny how much he would like to have him on his team, little Johnny or his family just can't receive any type of incentives.

I will say I completely agree that doing what was described is below the bar as far as ethics go.

If these folks were from a DII school, it is perfectly legal, rude but legal. If they were from a DI public, then there is a violation. I'm a little fuzzy on rules for DI private. Also, it is not a violation if these folks were not faculty or staff (ie alumn, school board member, etc). Sounds like they were faculty and or staff, so you would need to know what school they were from.

We can all probably guess who the school was

It's against the rules, doesn't matter if it's Division I or II.

It's ABSOLUTELY within the rules for this man to congratulate a player on their performance / game, as stated. Your allegation that it's a rules violation is jumping the gun, as you nor I know anything more than the man congratulated the player. The (implied) man in question has impeccable character and a great reputation in the coaching community. I've known him many years and he would never put his PUBLIC school in jeopardy of a violation. Before you jump to a conclusive judgement on a situation you don't have all the facts about, might need more info.

It's ABSOLUTELY within the rules for this man to congratulate a player on their performance / game, as stated. Your allegation that it's a rules violation is jumping the gun, as you nor I know anything more than the man congratulated the player. The (implied) man in question has impeccable character and a great reputation in the coaching community. I've known him many years and he would never put his PUBLIC school in jeopardy of a violation. Before you jump to a conclusive judgement on a situation you don't have all the facts about, might need more info.

Kids and families are the one's who do most of the recruiting. Birds of a feather flock together.

Tsssa rule mentions the coach can't make the first contact. Doesn't say what can be discussed. The first post makes it seem the coach went out of his way to talk to him. Even if the player or parents make contact, the coach is supposed to tell them it needs to go through the office.