Big Games in Memphis - Week 4

kwc

Those other schools don't have our profile. Your AD or whoever schedules the OOZ games likely doesn't mind taking an official L to teams with their type of profile (Large ooz private or large ooz state winning program ) HOWEVER, I don't believe MUS or any other big private in the AREA wants the L from Whitehaven. We have a good time with the scrimmage tho.

I hate that you hate my answer but it's surely it's not juvenile my guy it's just an opinion that YOU don't agree with. If you don't like my opinion, too bad for you.

It is JUVENILE, ARROGANT and CONDESCENDING to say that any team that does not play da Haven does so because they are AFRAID of losing to them.  This is the equivalent to the playground taunt of CHICKEN.  Most fans have NO clue why any 2 teams do or do not play each other.  This talk about the right "profile" is pure speculative BS.  I assume that good programs try to play other good programs, but usually it just doesn't happen for a multitude of possible reasons, most of which are com0pletely unknown to fans and have NOTHING to do with fear of losing a game. 

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ridgeway and MUS play this year and they played last year as well. Ridgeway has also scheduled 2nd game with the team out of Monroe, LA this year.

There are two local 6A teams that don't play the large D2 teams. Those two teams are the current Dandy Dozen top dogs in Whitehaven and Cordova. I've spoken on why I think Whitehaven has not played against any of the large D2 teams, but I don't have a clue why Cordova doesn't. Coach Jones has been the HC at Cordova for four years now if I my memory serves me correctly. Their non-district games are East, Craigmont, and BTW this year. Last year they played Carver, Craigmont, and BTW. I'm not going to go back to 2014 or beyond because 6A was under a different format then.

The other D1 Dandy Dozen teams not named Whitehaven or Cordova are Trezevant, Ridgeway, and East. Collierville just dropped out. So, really, in Memphis, you are talking about Whitehaven and Cordova not playing against large D2 teams. You also have to remember that Cordova hasn't been a traditional Dandy Dozen program. However, I think that as long as coach Jones is the HC at that school, they will continue to be a Dandy Dozen team. 

Maybe MUS, CBHS, Briarcrest, or St. Benedict can work out some type of arrangement with Cordova, provided that Cordova wants to drop either the Craigmont or the BTW games. I think Cordova and East is a good D1 vs D1 Dandy Dozen game, so I can't see them dropping that one. Otherwise ... it will probably be more of the same. I don't know what's going on over at Cordova, for all intents and purposes Cordova could be content with Craigmont and BTW and have no desire to drop one opponent to add another.

I'm just speaking locally above. Statewide, I don't know why BA, MBA, nor Ensworth can't get games with the local, large, good D1 teams. I don't know why they can'y play Centennial, or Independence, or Franklin, or Brentwood, or Oakland, or Blackman, or Smyrna or Hendersonville or Hillsboro for that matter. I haven't looked at any of these teams schedules and they may have a game together .... i'm just speaking in general. I don't know why McCallie or Baylor can't get games with Science Hill, or Dobbyns-Bennett or Maryville. (Again ... some ot the schools I just named my play a D2 program ... I'm just dropping names here without doing any research)

This is one thing I do know. All of the schools use to be in one division and the public schools wanted the privates schools to play separately and ergo you have two different divisions. I don't think there is collusion going on between the public schools to not play the private schools either. I do know everyone has their own agenda and they do what's best for their program.

I personaly would love to see MUS and Cordova lock horns. I'd love to see Whitehaven play a physical contest with CBHS. I think that Independence vs Brentwood Academy would be standing room only. Maryville vs McCallie would probably shut down the eastern portion of the state on a Friday night. So on and so forth. There are enough great large Division 1 teams throughout the state to compete with the large D2 programs throughout the state that you could literally have a marquee game every week. I don't think Maryville is scared to play anybody. I don't think that Whitehaven is scared to play anybody. I don't think Independence is scared to play anybody, just like I don't think Brentwood Academy, or MUS, or McCallie is scared to play anybody. All of these games would be elbow to elbow and everybody would make money.

But, for a variety of reason, these games probably aren't going to happen anytime soon. It's a shame really ... but it is what it is.

I have absolutely zero issues with you KWC.  I agree with you that "it is what it is" for whatever reasons and that is sad for TN HS football.  I also agree that the better programs are not afraid of playing anybody.  But as you should know, that is NOT the opinion of one prolific poster on this site, who frequently insults both schools and fans alike. 

I was shocked to notice how long the MUS-Ridgeway rivalry, such a geographic natural, had languished - only 1 game between 1993 and 2014! Why I haven't a clue. I do remember that MUS has scrimmaged WH and either Ridgeway or WS for most of the last decade. 

BTW, Baylor not McCallie has been the dominant D2 team in Chattanooga for several years. 

Edited by owlbooster

It's called doin something different from the norm as opposed to the same thing for far to long. Plus it's fun for the coaches as well as players!!! The Whitehaven classic is a classic in itself plus is to much money bein made to do away with that. That's like doin away with the Southern Heritage classic...the out of town games is a great way of playing against competition from other areas. Especially since people for years have said our schedule was to weak and why don't we play more ranked or competitive teams. Well now we are and we're just trying to uphold that standard and yes we like to take the show on the road...we not looking for them to come to us, we want that travel day which is what alot of schools are starting to do now. It's good exposure, and it also helps with recruiting...so I think our scheduling has been good over the last few years. Who know where our travel date may take us next!!!

It's called doin something different from the norm as opposed to the same thing for far to long. Plus it's fun for the coaches as well as players!!! The Whitehaven classic is a classic in itself plus is to much money bein made to do away with that. That's like doin away with the Southern Heritage classic...the out of town games is a great way of playing against competition from other areas. Especially since people for years have said our schedule was to weak and why don't we play more ranked or competitive teams. Well now we are and we're just trying to uphold that standard and yes we like to take the show on the road...we not looking for them to come to us, we want that travel day which is what alot of schools are starting to do now. It's good exposure, and it also helps with recruiting...so I think our scheduling has been good over the last few years. Who know where our travel date may take us next!!!

I agree that the travel game is a really good way for college coaches to see some of our players up close and personal. It becomes an incentive for colleges to send representatives to the game, especially if both programs have competitive reputations and a history of developing D1 talent. 

Players of the week for Week 4
September 15, 2016, 11:15 a.m.

M0016492067--318422.JPG

August 26, 2016- Southwind's Lataryl Rutherford breaks up a pass intended for Ridgeway's Bernard Nelson during their game held at Southwind. (Nikki Boertman/The Commercial Appeal)

By John Varlas of The Commercial Appeal 

OFFENSE

Mercedes Byrd, Westwood, sophomore: Byrd did a pretty fair imitation of his offensive coordinator, former Longhorns star quarterback Kenton Evans, in last week's 46-24 victory over Hillcrest, completing 16 of 26 passes for 368 yards and five touchdowns. The yardage total is the most for any Shelby-Metro quarterback this season.

Caleb Johnson, MAHS junior: The area's top rusher, Johnson had his best game of the year as the Lions defeated Kingsbury 44-12, rushing for 310 yards and scoring four touchdowns (42, 13, 80, 52) as MAHS won its third straight to improve to 3-1.

DEFENSE

Lataryl Rutherford, Southwind senior: Rutherford, the Jaguars' free safety, had two interception returns for touchdowns in a 40-0 victory over Fairley. He brought the first one back 105 yards (officially credited with 100) and the second 60 yards as Southwind evened its record to 2-2.

Edited by kwc