Ricky Bowers Paid $600k to coach HS football

ironman55

I might get a little defensive too if someone was nosing around in my tax returns and broadcasting their opinions thereon. Not sure what the point of this thread was to begin with - Bowers not only holds many positions at Ensworth, but he was also instrumental in the creation and development of the high school. In my estimation, he has done a wonderful job and has been an incredibly positive influence on the lives of many many young people. As an Ensworth parent, I have indirectly paid a portion of his salary, and I think it is money very well spent. Hope you are as happy with your school as I am with Ensworth.

Well said.

The tax returns are public documents.  The federal government allows non-profits to accept tax deductible contributions in exchange for public financial statements.  They encourage the public to "nosing around in my (Ensworth) tax returns and broadcasting their opinions thereon ".  If you don't like it, talk to your Congressman.

The tax returns are public documents.  The federal government allows non-profits to accept tax deductible contributions in exchange for public financial statements.  They encourage the public to "nosing around in my (Ensworth) tax returns and broadcasting their opinions thereon ".  If you don't like it, talk to your Congressman.

Also well said.

The law also allows me to fly a drone over your property and comment publicly on anything I see in your fenced-in back yard.  Does that mean I should do it? 

Still not sure what the point of this thread is.

The law also allows me to fly a drone over your property and comment publicly on anything I see in your fenced-in back yard.  Does that mean I should do it? 

I would say it is to further point out the disparity between public and private schools. George Quarles has won more state titles but makes 15% of that at the most. 

I would say it is to further point out the disparity between public and private schools. George Quarles has won more state titles but makes 15% of that at the most. 

Are you insinuating that Quarles couldn't get a job with a private school if he so chose?  I disagree - I think he could write his own ticket at numerous private schools if he wanted to.  For whatever reason, he chooses to be at Maryville and I am sure he is quite happy and content with his choice. Ensworth is, and always has been, in D2, and as such does not compete with publics for anything, so I don't understand why you are choosing to point out this alleged "disparity".  If Bowers made that salary at a D1 school, I could understand your point.  Sounds more like a simple case of envy.

Then maybe GQ should put his hat in the ring for a private school with deep pockets, and even perhaps "double dip" with retirement / pension from the publics if that is what he desires. If he does not choose to do so, whatever his reasoning, that is HIS choice. I respect HIS choice, but that is where it starts and stops. I suspect GQ could get about any HS football coaching job in TN that were open if he pushed hard for it. Whether or not he could fill all those other roles I have no idea, but the key issue is that he has elected for his own reasons to stay where he is, and not pursue a highly paid private school position. No reason for sympathy there.

As far as disparity between public and private, it is now completely split. What more could one ask for? CAK, former D1 private that played by the TSSAA rules announced yesterday they were going to D2 next year. I suspect more / most if not all to follow suit now that the TSSAA has included the issue of a private offering a discount on tuition for the 2nd, 3rd, 4th child, etc (to all students, not just athletes). Although this is not financial aid, the TSSAA has decided to deem this as financial assistance and include it as prohibited for D1. FAIR ENOUGH. No complaint here.

However the the TSSAA has still done nothing to address open zoning or subsidized tuition for out of zone players, such as charging $500-$1000 for tuition, when any honest assessment would indicate that the actual cost of tuition for an out of zone student is greater than this amount.

Regardless, those who wanted a separation have gotten their wish, and congratulations to them on the outcome. I suspect this will help some of the 1A - 3A schools, but still does not address the glaring disparity in "talent pool to draw from" of open zoning, utilized to its fullest. And having a larger than normal "talent pool to draw from" was and is the entire root basis for everything from splitting schools up from 1A - 6A (larger school, larger talent pool) to privates who can draw from any area, but at least had a multiplier. Until the TSSAA deals with the issue of open zoning being used to it's fullest (entirely within the rules) they will have only dealt with a portion of the issue. When you have someone who is sized at 2A, plays up to 3A, and yet fields team sizes that would rival 5A and 6A and open zoning is a key component (not the only component but a key contributing component) to their success and team size, AND THEY ARE ENTIRELY WITHIN THE RULES, it is quite obvious that this issue should be examined just as some others have been. And if this issue is not to be dealt with, then maybe everyone should just be in one large pot, from 1A to 6A, publics and privates as well, and let the chips fall where they may. Once the TSSAA chose to go down the road of addressing leveling the playing field, they opened up a can that is more complex than just size of school and public or private.

I apologize for moving somewhat off topic. The previous poster's comment about GQ making 15% of this salary, and "further point out the disparity between public and private schools" is what led me here. Just my opinions. Your mileage may vary. soapbox.gif

Drones are a diversion. Yes, you should examine the public financial statements of non-profits.

When Tommy Frist gives a $1,000,000 to Ensworth, $550,000 comes from his funds.  The remaining $450,000 comes from reducing his federal tax by that amount due to the donation. . The public has the right to know how their taxes are spent and that is why the feds make their financial statements public.

Drones are a diversion. Yes, you should examine the public financial statements of non-profits.

When Tommy Frist gives a $1,000,000 to Ensworth, $550,000 comes from his funds.  The remaining $450,000 comes from reducing his federal tax by that amount due to the donation. . The public has the right to know how their taxes are spent and that is why the feds make their financial statements public.

Dude - Great job getting this back to a discussion of high school football.  I think most of us understand why non-profit tax returns are public information.  That does not answer my question as to the purpose of this thread.  Someone said it helps point out the disparity between publics and privates.  Surely an expert on non-profit law like yourself can understand that Ensworth is in the private school division and does not compete for championships with any public schools.  Please help me understand how their faculty salary structure has any effect whatsoever on public school athletic programs.  Simple answer - it doesn't.  Thus, I repeat my question:  what is the purpose of this thread???  It appears that it is to simply rag on a private school.  If not, please help me to understand what you are trying to say about high school football.  Thanks!

Dude - Your panties were in a wad because I reported Rickey Bowers salary of $600,000 from a public document.  You implied it was wrong to report that information.  Glad you finally admitted you are wrong.

I too would like to know WHY you posted RB's salary on this blog.  WHY won't you answer this question?  To say it was to point out a disparity between private and public schools is LUDICROUS.  Private schools are free to pay whatever they want to any staff member.  Public school salaries are determined by the government.  Why should you or anybody else give a rat's behind what the man EARNS???