6A Classification next year

vuau1989

With 308 schools currently in D1, the breakdown for even classes is 51.3. I am naming the schools within 5 spots of that breakdown. Any school below 53 is a 5A unless they choose to move up.

46. Cleveland 1546

47. Ooltewah 1537

48. Hendersonville 1531

49. Dickson Co. 1591

50. Gallatin 1508

51. Southwind 1496

52. Franklin Co. 1447

53. Rhea Co. 1442

54. Hunters Lane 1422

55. Walker Valley

On the other end I have listed teams 94-104 that could be in 5A as well.

94. Hillwood 1103

95. Seymour 1102

96. Portland 1089

97. Lawrence Co. 1082

98. Springfield 1081

99. Montgomery Central 1077

100. Stone Memorial 1061

101. Anderson Co. 1060

102. Hardin Co. 1060

103. Spring Hill 1053

104. Tullahoma 1042

If your team falls between these numbers you are a solid 5A team. These are the fringe teams and depending on how many privates leave will determine where the fringe teams fall.

Currently 18 of the 24 fall in violation of financial relief rules enacted this past summer. If all 18 leave that makes the break at 48. If it's 14 the break is 49. If 8 leave it's 50. If all leave it's at 47.

Thanks for the information: 

Is Oct 14 the date all privates declare for DI or DII?

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Rhea Co should be 6A instead of Ooltewah and Mo East should be 6A instead of Mo West. Here's my prediction for East Tn regions. Blount Co will be with the Chattanooga area teams and Knoxville will be put with the NET schools. It will be a lot like it was from 2000-2008 in the 5 class days.

Bradley Central

Cleveland

Heritage

Maryville

Mcminn Co

Rhea County

Walker Valley

William Blount

Bearden

Dobyns Bennett

Farragut

Hardin Valley

Jefferson County

Mo East

Science Hill

No.  Morristown West will be 6A.  Morristown East will be 5A.

This should be interesting the route the TSSAA decides to go.  Again, all this is speculation until Oct 14 when teams decide to go public/private.  If the Memphis teams are grouped together in one big region, then that will leave 7 regions to be divided in middle/east.  With so many more midstate teams in this projected 6A class, you would assume they would have more regions than the east.  So for this example, with Memphis by itself as one region, you could have four in the midstate and three in the east.  If they decide to split Memphis into two smaller regions, then the midstate could potentially have three large regions, and the east have two.  As it plays out in the east, if there are three regions, I could see the regions play out with NET/Morristown as Region 1, Knoxville/Blount as Region 2, and Cleveland/Chattanooga as Region 3.  If there are only two regions in the east, then the question becomes does Knoxville (Bearden, Farragut, Hardin Valley) or Blount Co. (Heritage, Maryville, Wm Blount) go north or south to be placed into Regions 1 and 2.  The TSSAA may not group teams together that way, but rather have some combination based on geography.  Back in the old 5A, Farragut, Heritage, and Wm Blount went south, while Bearden went north.  So much will be thought over and discussed the next few weeks.  It all depends on what they want to be the precedent for placing teams.  In other re-classifications in the past, they have stressed that they don't want teams to have to travel, and other times they have said they don't want great disparity in the number of teams in each region.  It will be fun to keep up with, and again we won't have any real speculation until we know who the actual 52 teams are.

I saw somewhere that Henry Co had 1365 students last week and now they show less then 1000. Must have been a private school come and scoop up 300+ students and take them back to E. TN...Catholic at it again?

The 9th grade school is separate but counted toward total enrollment when classification comes up. It must not be in these figures. HC will be in the 1300 range and 5A.

Is the cutoff 52?  I was thinking it would be 48.

Just speculation at this point.  I saw where it could be at most 52-53 per class if divided somewhat evenly.  However, if the majority of schools offering "financial assistance" make the jump to DII, the cutoffs could be around 47-48 per class.  Just depends on what the final number is when everyone decides whether they want to compete in DI or DII.