Big Games in Memphis - Week 7

kwc

I am not ignorant of historical context.  I just don't see it applying in this case.  You have no facts backing up your assertion that racism was involved in the selection of which schools got on campus stadiums, certainly not in your lifetime.  Just because racism exists doesn't mean it exists in this situation, and regardless of your personal experience with it, real or perceived, it does not give you license to make a gratuitous accusation of racism on the public/government officials - many of whom no doubt are black - who decide where stadiums get built.  Just because some black school doesn't have an on campus stadium but you opine that it should, doesn't mean the omission was racist in origin.  What about the white schools that don't have stadiums?  You are way off base here.  Pick a better battlefield.  Besides this is supposed to be a blog about HS football, not a personal forum for BS like this.

What current or formerly white schools in Memphis don't have on-campus fields?

If you answer this question truthfully you may see how the omission, when it was done and even now today, is racism working. It works so well that you may Honestly be blind to it because "that's just how it is" in your head.  

Edited by BlackHavenSenator

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Before Whitehaven became what it is now (Predominately Black) it was a Predominately White school with a stadium. You are attempting to do a "chicken or the egg" argument, knowingly or unknowingly, when you can't. In reality The Stadium was built when it wasn't integrated.   

ALL of the former county league schools were "lily white" because they were built before desegregation.  That does NOT mean that they had stadiums BECAUSE they were white.  They all had stadiums because they all had football teams and would have nowhere to play if they didn't.  These schools originally were way out in the country.   By your "logic" I could claim that any pre desegregation black school that has a stadium was because it was "ebony black."   Has anybody tried to tear down the Whitehaven stadium since it became "predominantly black?"  Did you not get a turf field?  Where's all this alleged racism?

What current or formerly white schools in Memphis don't have on-campus fields?

If you answer this question truthfully you may see how the omission, when it was done and even now today, is racism working. It works so well that you may Honestly be blind to it because "that's just how it is" in your head.  

Is this really a serious question?   I thought we were talking about stadiums not fields.  And the biggest one obviously is White Station.  But there are many others.

Look.  This is really stupid.  You obviously are going to drag this BS out forever and must have the last word.   You are one of those people who sees racism behind every corner, because it promotes your agenda.  Go ahead and stew in your racial animus.  I'm out of here.  Just try not to let it spill out again in the postseason, as it has before.  It really diminishes your pro-school message.

Racism is behind every corner. It's literally what this country/society was built upon. I'm not silly enough to sit here and wait for a person that benefits from institutionalized racism to agree with me on what is and isn't racially motivated decision making. That forces you to call yourself a racist and we all know there's no way you would do that. I'm done. I hope that The T enjoyed the banter. Thank you FBFAN26 for allowing this dialog to be opened up with your question.

Prep football players of the week for Week 7

The Commercial Appeal 4:15 p.m. CDT October 5, 2016

preps-generic.jpg

PLAYERS OF THE WEEK: Week 7

Offense

Jerry Craine, Wooddale senior and Myrone Kimber, Wooddale senior: Craine showed flashes of 2015 when he set the Shelby County passing record in last Friday's 32-28 victory over Region 8-5A rival Southwind, completing 16 of 21 passes for 300 yards and three touchdowns while running for a score and a two-point conversion. Kimber was the primary target with seven catches for 184 yards and all three scores.

Defense

Kalyn Grandberry, Raleigh-Egypt junior: The linebacker was one of the Pharaohs' many standouts in a 21-14 victory over previously undefeated Bolivar Central, returning an interception 87 yards for a score while recording eight solo tackles and three for lost yardage. His efforts helped Raleigh-Egypt extend the best start in school history to 7-0 and earn it the No. 8 spot in this week's state 3A rankings.

Elijah Smalls, Fairley junior: Smalls, a linebacker, was all over the field in the Bulldogs' 14-12 victory over Manassas in Region 8-2A. The 6-1, 190-pounder recorded 20 tackles (11 solos, nine assisted) to help Fairley to its second victory of the season.

Special teams

Nicolas Herrera, Rossville senior: An exchange student from Chile playing in only his second football game, Herrera connected on 8 of 8 extra points as the Wolves hammered Macon Road 62-6 to improve to 5-1.

Edited by kwc