The Ridge (OR) @ McMinn County

SweetScience

Obviously some major sandbagging if our coaches and players call them the real deal.

Well, I agree, but coach speak is one thing. Lou Holtz when he used to coach for Notre Dame used to act like the opposing team Notre Dame was playing was always the second coming of the '85 Bears, even if it was Southwest Indiana State University. Coaches have to speak that way so the players stay humble and don't get the big head thinking they can just show up and win. But, I look for a tough game regardless. McMinn has a really good DT his name is Xzayvier Beckingham he goes for about 6'5 295. He caused all kinds of problems for us last year. He was actually going to play for us after he transferred from Bradley Central a few years ago, but somehow ended up on McMinn's team. Sure would've liked to have had him, he's a baller.

• Replies 231
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I didn't say they were bad. They ain't great but not terrible. You'll see they run basically 4 plays. One of them is punt. Haha.

Well, we aren't what I would call world beaters by any means either. We still have a lot of room for improvement. On paper yes we should win, but McMinn has alwys historically been a pretty tough game for us. They are usually a hard hitting hard nosed bunch. I expect no less Friday night.

MCMINN WILL RUN IT DOWN YOUR THROAT JUST LIKE RHEA COUNTY DID. THEY RUN THE TRADITIONAL CHICKENWINGT AND HAVE NO PASSING GAME JUST LIKE RHEA. THEY WILL WEAR YOUR DEFENSE DOWN IF YOU LET THEM GAIN BIG YDS ON 1ST DOWNS. BUT THEY WILL SNEAK A PASS OR 2 INTO THE MIX AND ITS NOT DUCKLIKE BUT DECENT.IF THEM 4 PLAYS ARE DRIVING MCMINN DOWN THE FIELD USING UP ALOT OF CLOCK THAT'S ALL YOU WILL SEE. SO TELL TEE TO BE READY. OH AND THE ZEBRAS...

#LOP

Willie, Emmanual Isang was the kid that was transported.  Govols, yes spencer had over 300 against FHS, it was the second meeting in the playoffs, it was Coach Courtneys son that got trucked by Spencer twice in the first quarter and Reveiz was LB on that team too.  Spencer could have scored easily on the first one but he chose to run right at Courtney and run him over.  Classic

I remember the hit against the coach's son, classic! So many great players and great games and memories it's hard to pick, but IMO the most dominant player I've ever seen in HS was Shawn Summers. Saw every game he played in. He was a joy to watch, and loved when he played LB in the championship game. Roll Wildcats Roll

Well, I agree, but coach speak is one thing. Lou Holtz when he used to coach for Notre Dame used to act like the opposing team Notre Dame was playing was always the second coming of the '85 Bears, even if it was Southwest Indiana State University. Coaches have to speak that way so the players stay humble and don't get the big head thinking they can just show up and win. But, I look for a tough game regardless. McMinn has a really good DT his name is Xzayvier Beckingham he goes for about 6'5 295. He caused all kinds of problems for us last year. He was actually going to play for us after he transferred from Bradley Central a few years ago, but somehow ended up on McMinn's team. Sure would've liked to have had him, he's a baller.

Xayvier played at WV his freshman year. I think the Cherokees also have a Miller kid and another that played at WV at one point. Don't get me wrong they will be physical. Overall speed hurts them otherwise they'd be real dangerous.

Well, we aren't what I would call world beaters by any means either. We still have a lot of room for improvement. On paper yes we should win, but McMinn has alwys historically been a pretty tough game for us. They are usually a hard hitting hard nosed bunch. I expect no less Friday night.

You will need a lot of patience as will the OR players.  It is easy to get upset with all the "yellow" hankies that seem to be thrown every play.  The thing is that eventually even a very patient team becomes upset and they actually start making the mistakes. 

This information comes from the Chattanooga Times-Free Press' preseason section by Wade Gossett.

McMinn County: 6 returning O, 4 returning D

STRENGTHS - On offense, MC returns 4 starters on the line, Jake Watson, Mason Bortle, Kyle Hansford, and James Moore -X Beckingham and Roman Lockmiller key a stout D-line. They go at least 6 deep at RB

EXPECTATION - Know that MC will play power football. As Coach Cagle said "Here's what we do. Can you stop  us?" What fans want to know is whether the team can handle McMinn Central and Bradley Central rivals they always wan t to dominate.

DIFFERENCE MAKERS - Lockmiller ( 6-0, 220) is likely the teams best player and will go both ways (TE/DE). Although there is depth at RB, the primary runner will be Xavier Abernathy (5-10, 190), another two way starter. Keep an eye out for diminutive Donell Armour (5-7, 145), the fastest player on the roster.

...more information in my next post.

BLAST FROM THE PAST - The 1975 team coached by Bennie Monroe, put together an undefeated regular season and went 2 games deep in the playoffs. Note: OR ended their run.

KEY TO SUCCESS - The question here is not what offense MC is going to run but rather, "Which coach is going to be in the game-day coaches' box and, better yet, who's going to call the plays?" Well okay, Cagle is going to call the plays - and he might do it from the press box. Yet he has not been able to get a good overview of MC because for the first time in years, due to a lack of experienced staff members, he has been coaching the Oline instead of only overseeing the team. It's made for long hours and extra review time off the field.

Many of the old Tribesmen - those who remember the John Mullinax, Bennie Monroe and Ace Adams days - have been delighted Cagle is dusting off the wing - t, long the revered offense for the Cherokees.

This information comes from the Chattanooga Times-Free Press' preseason section by Wade Gossett.

McMinn County: 6 returning O, 4 returning D

STRENGTHS - On offense, MC returns 4 starters on the line, Jake Watson, Mason Bortle, Kyle Hansford, and James Moore -X Beckingham and Roman Lockmiller key a stout D-line. They go at least 6 deep at RB

EXPECTATION - Know that MC will play power football. As Coach Cagle said "Here's what we do. Can you stop us?" What fans want to know is whether the team can handle McMinn Central and Bradley Central rivals they always wan t to dominate.

DIFFERENCE MAKERS - Lockmiller ( 6-0, 220) is likely the teams best player and will go both ways (TE/DE). Although there is depth at RB, the primary runner will be Xavier Abernathy (5-10, 190), another two way starter. Keep an eye out for diminutive Donell Armour (5-7, 145), the fastest player on the roster.

...more information in my next post.

If OR doesn't win 42-7, I will be very surprised. This article came out weeks before season opened. We was kinda worried bout that "6" deep RB deal, but once we seen and stepped on the field, they was actually 2 deep at best.

Good defense can shut them down. If OR offense is for real like we all have been reading, this game will be a pick your backups to start in the 2nd half. Well as long as the refs doesn't keep this game close. Tee should have a 200+ yard game.